• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Afbrown OFFLINE  

Afbrown
  • Member No: 68766
  • 3 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 01:22 PM

My lawnmower has a 16hp opposed twin briggs and stratton motor, i just rewired it and it had ran fine the other day i killed it changed the oil the next day and now it wont start, its got spark and compression with no signs of a dirty carb, it doesnt even react to starter fluid, i cant figure out whats wrong. Any advice would be appreciated.

#2 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 01:29 PM

from my past experiences its probably a seat safety switch, oil sensor shut off, or possibly you just left it in gear? ( which I have done,duh ) both those sensors you can jump. as for being in gear you can just shake your head. ha ha !!! ps ,did you add enough oil also clean the oil sending unit, hope this helps, it sounds like an easy fix, another thought is your key switch grounding out

Edited by farmer john, March 28, 2015 - 01:36 PM.

• tinbender7, HANKG and karl have said thanks

#3 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 922 Thanks
  • 1,215 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 02:13 PM

I could send you a repair manual that may help.

• tinbender7 said thank you

#4 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 02:14 PM

Since you have done some rewiring recently I would suggest you go back and make sure all your connections are good and tight, no broken wires and all your grounds are good.  As a side note please do not by-pass any safety switches they are there for a reason.

• IamSherwood, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 04:40 PM

Check to make sure no one bumped the oil sensor wire, the pto switch isn't in gear, the clutch is depressed when it should be, etc...
  • tinbender7 and Sawdust have said thanks

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 07:34 PM

Are  not most of the safety switches on the starter solenoid side and not the ignition?  If it has spark I would guess it turns over.  If this is true that eliminates any safety switch.  I would put in a new plug as you could have fire with the plug out, but it is not firing under pressure.

• MH81 and tractorgarden have said thanks

#7 Afbrown OFFLINE  

Afbrown
  • Member No: 68766
  • 3 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 08:17 PM

Ive already wire around everything but there is one thing i dont really know what it is, i will post a picture and see if someone can identify it and how to get around it. It has pretty new plugs, ps this mower is never going to mow again the deck was ruined so im turning it in to a mud mower, thanks everyone for your help hope someone can identify that piece once i get a picture of it posted.

#8 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 11:34 AM

Are  not most of the safety switches on the starter solenoid side and not the ignition?  If it has spark I would guess it turns over. 

Having spark in the ignition system, or not has nothing to do with "turning over"  Not being locked up, and the crank spinning when the starter is activated (pull or electric) is  all that  "turning over" means. Whether it fires, or tries to start has nothing to do with "turning over".

I do not get where people say "starter cranks, but engine does not turn over"  something that I see in many for sale ads and "help-it don't run" kind of  posts.