• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bill30310 OFFLINE  

bill30310
  • Member No: 68877
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 11:47 AM

LX 176 tractor with B&S engine.  New battery fully charged.  Started OK until the middle of last year, then would do nothing when you turned the key.  It would start fine once you attached jumper cables to another battery.  When you shut it off, it would do nothing unless jumpers were attached.  Battery ground is good and there are no obvious wiring issues.

Could this be the ignition switch?

• tinbender7 and larisaPn have said thanks

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 12:22 PM

Bad connection at battery.

• MH81 and tinbender7 have said thanks

#3 M.Cain OFFLINE  

M.Cain
  • Member No: 68107
  • 185 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 01:54 PM

Or not a good engine ground.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 03:43 PM

If you have a voltmeter, check the battery voltage with the key off and also when you turn the key to start.  If it is dropping to a low value when you attempt to start then the battery is either not being charged or it will not hold a charge. Next, after starting it, check the battery voltage when the tractor is running. It should be 13.5 or higher. If it is still the same as the initial key off reading then your charging circuit may have a problem some where. If it is a13.5 or more then the battery is not taking the charge for some reason. Also make sure the engine chassis connection is solid and clean back to the battery - terminal. The other possibility is that there is some load that is still drawing current when the key is off. This would flatten the battery every time the tractor sits for extended periods. 

• Alc and WHdbJD have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 08:25 PM

You may have a starter that is dragging from bad bushings or bearings. It don't take much wear to cause the armature to really drag and pull down a battery. By hooking two batteries together when you jump start it your doubling the power to the starter and overcoming the starter drag.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 11:37 PM

I agree that my first check would be battery contacts. Take them both off and star washer the cables.
I am assuming that voltages checked fine at the battery?
  • Trav1s said thank you

#7 bill30310 OFFLINE  

bill30310
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 10:40 AM

Battery is new and is fully charged.  Ground cable is attached to the bolt holding the engine block to the frame.  Everything is clean.  Used star washers on the cables to make sure that there is good contact.

When I bought this tractor last summer, the prior owner had installed the new battery and the tractor started just fine.  After three weeks of having it start easily without the jump, it started to act up.  I moved the ground to the engine block-to-frame bolt since the way it was originally connected looked kind of iffy.  I also added the star washers to the battery cables to ensure that there was good contact. 

I will check cold soak/operating voltage next.  The starter theory is an interesting one as well.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

#8 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,601 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 07:16 PM

Is the battery good?  I had one drop a cell in a car that was fine when it was warm (not hot) but left me stranded when the temps dropped.  A jump got it going every time.

#9 bill30310 OFFLINE  

bill30310
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 30, 2015 - 03:18 AM

I had the battery load tested and it checked out fine.

• Trav1s said thank you

#10 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted March 30, 2015 - 07:30 AM

Valves out of adjustment on OHV?

#11 bill30310 OFFLINE  

bill30310
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 02:24 PM

Problem solved.  Recharged battery and when the engine was running, only saw 12V at the battery.  Then checked the alternator output.  The alternator was fried, only giving 7 volts to the battery.  That was not enough to get the thing to start after it had run a while.  Had fun trying to get a new one.  Local lawn and garden dealer had to call the distributor to get the correct part number.  The B&S manual showed an alternator with one wire whereas the one I had had 2.  Even the distributor had to check for the proper number.

#12 bill30310 OFFLINE  

bill30310
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 16, 2015 - 02:42 PM

Thought it was fixed, now it won't charge the battery. When I put the new alternator in, was getting 28VAC out of alternator and 14VDC from regulator to battery. Then the battery light came on and was
getting 0VDC out of the regulator. Got another good regulator, it worked like it should for about 5
minutes and then back to the light on and no charging. Checked wiring for issues and found none. Not
sure what's going on.