• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 10:16 AM

With the tractor & equipment I bought last spring there was a snowblower. I could see that it was needing some repairs & since I also had the blade that is what got installed last fall for the winter. After we starting getting some snow I decided to get the snowblower on the tractor to get it working. The chute that was on the snowblower had some damage & repairs done on it, but there was another chute that came with everything. The sprocket on this other chute was not lined up for proper pivoting. Some grinding & welding got it position right & I added a tap for changing the deflection angle.

Snowblower 3.jpg

I could also tell that the lights on the tractor would be blocked with the snowblower, so another light set up was installed. 

Snowblower 1.jpg

I thought this would be a good place to mount them.

Snowblower 2.jpg

You should see also a chrome pipe setting along side the chute angle adjuster, this is what I used with the tap to adjust the deflection angle.

Snowblower 4.jpg

After this was installed we did not get any large snow falls, so I will take the blame or thanks for that. We did get some small snow falls so did get to test / play with it some and found something else that needed repair. I have a gravel drive way so I dropped the skids down for use on gravel. I noticed it started to pick up some rocks which is not a good thing here. After checking I found this. 

Snow Blower Shoe 1.jpg

This is the repair making the skids a little wider.

Snow Blower Shoe 2.jpg

This gave me an idea I have a long enough piece of 1 inch black pipe, so by making parts that attach where the skids mount so that the pipe would roll might be a good for use in early winter when the gravel is loose. This being underneath the snowblower would raise it up a little higher then the skids do but it might push some of the snow up to be caught by the snowblower while rolling over the gravel keeping the snowblower from throwing gravel. Any thoughts or ideas on if it will work or how to make it work would be helpful.

Thank You

Charlie

• Alc, boyscout862, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,158 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 08:19 PM

I too have a gravel drive and don't want any rocks threw by the snow thrower.  Not sure how you going to get that 1" pipe to "roll" over the rock though.  Afraid it will end up being a push bar and push everything in front of the blower.  I have 2" wide shoes on mine with the leading edge turned up so as not to dig in.  I run the  thrower about 1" above the surface and get along fine.  The drive is 15 years old and packed down good so that helps a lot.

• KennyP, Chopperhed and FixItCharlie have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 10:25 PM

Wow, those are some nice upgrades. Could you take a different perspective pic of the chute angle setup? It looks intriguing.
As for the roller, good idea, but Instead of a pipe, I agree you will probably end up with a round dozer blade.
I thought about a couple push mower wheels, but haven't had time to investigate.
  • FixItCharlie said thank you

#4 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 08:35 PM

Wow, those are some nice upgrades. Could you take a different perspective pic of the chute angle setup? It looks intriguing.

It is really simple just a long handle & place carry it.  

Snowblower 7.jpg   Snowblower 5.jpg

Snowblower 6.jpg   Snowblower 8.jpg

Snowblower 9.jpg   Snowblower 10.jpg

Snowblower 11.jpg

This part of my thinking for the roller & comes from an older mower deck that I am stripping for parts. I would use this if I could find a way to mount it with out raising the snowblower off the ground.

Snowblower 13.jpg

Using the three parts in this picture, 3/4 inch rod, 3/4 black pipe, & 1 inch black pipe with some grease I think it would roll. The 3/4 inch rod & 3/4 black pipe would be only about 4 inches long. The 3/4 inch rod would be welded to the plate that mounts where the skids mount now. If this has enough friction to keep it from rolling I may be able to find a bushing or bearings that would make it easier to roll.

Snowblower 12.jpg

Charlie

#5 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 09:15 PM

I have been working on the snowblower this spring cleaning & painting. I found something that could use some repair but trying to determine what maybe the best way.

Snowbower 14.jpg

It is the wear bar the places that have the most wear are on what is the back edge but there is some spots on the front edge so the bar has been turned once.

Snowbower 15.jpg

Snowblower 16.jpg

The other thing is it is not flat stock the curved side is against the snowblower when mounted.

Snowbower 17.jpg

This bar is mounted using carriage bolts with the head toward the auger & nuts on the bottom. That is what the curve helps the nuts used for mounting. One thought on repairing this is get a flat bar that is not real thick but is close to the same width as the wear bar. Weld it to the wear bar along the worn edges. Then drill the holes for mounting & on the bar drill the hole large enough so that the nuts will be enclosed inside this wear bar. I wonder if anyone has repaired this some other way as I am sure that mine is not the only one to get worn down. 

Charlie

#6 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted June 24, 2015 - 08:47 PM

I have a roller set made for under the snowblower & think it is going to work. The gap for the roller should allow room for when the wear edge is installed. I am waiting for some parts to repair that edge piece.

Snowblower 18.jpg

Snowblower 19.jpg

Snowblower 21.jpg

Snowblower 20.jpg

Some of you may recognize what I have the snowblower sitting on. This definitely makes it easier to move around. You will also notice that I only have the easier areas painted. I am using a brush to do the painting for now & when finish the before I store it.

Snowblower 22.jpg

Yes they are snowmobile dollies & work great for this also.

Charlie

Attached Thumbnails

• Snowblower 20.jpg

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted June 25, 2015 - 06:04 AM

Hope it works as you intend, if so, it will be a nice upgrade.

#8 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted June 25, 2015 - 05:02 PM

After I finish the other repairs & painting I will put it on the tractor to try it. The roller does seem spin easily.

Charlie

#9 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 08:51 PM

I have repaired the wear bar.

SNOW 1.jpg

I used a piece of bar that is 1 3/4 inches wide & 1/8 inch thick. I welded the old bar to this so that it would have the curve needed to mount to the snowblower.

SNOW 2.jpg

SNOW 3.jpg

I drilled the holes through the old bar into the new bar the on the new bar I drilled these holes at 3/4 inch so a 7/16 socket could be use for attaching it to the snowblower.

[attachment=165563:SNOW 4.jpg

By doing this the nuts & threaded part of the bolts is protected just like it was originally.

A test of the roller attached to snowblower did roll on the garage floor. I will test this further when all is assembled.

Charlie

Attached Thumbnails

• SNOW 4.jpg

#10 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted August 22, 2015 - 09:12 PM

I tested the roller on the snowblower today it does roll but not as much as I thought it. It still works good though I did push up a pile of gravel but no gravel entered were the auger turns so I think that it will not be throwing rocks. 

TEST 1.jpg     TEST 2.jpg

TEST 3.jpg     TEST 4.jpg

TEST 5.jpg     TEST 6.jpg

The pipe that is used for the roller was painted white also before I tested it.

TEST 7.jpg    TEST 8.jpg

The wear bar does extend over the roller this will help keeping rocks out of the auger. The snowblower is off the ground more with the roller then when the slide shoes are on it. I did shoot some video while testing but I am not set up on U Tube & at this time for other reasons will not. If anyone is interested in this let me now I will send you a copy.

Charlie