• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 Brant2409 OFFLINE  

Brant2409
  • Member No: 35568
  • 6 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted April 01, 2015 - 09:40 PM

My Farm King has been working great, but today started acting up and would not start. So I ran through everything and could not find any issues the accidentally tapped the voltage regulator and it started right up. Also both light bulbs are now blown out. Was trying to find replacement part on Mtd site but came up empty. I have the 145-990 Farm King edition. Could someone point me in the right direction for a regulator? Also I'm looking for a deck and possibly any other attachments. I already have the tiller just want to add to it.
Thanks

#17 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted April 01, 2015 - 10:10 PM

My Farm King has been working great, but today started acting up and would not start. So I ran through everything and could not find any issues the accidentally tapped the voltage regulator and it started right up. Also both light bulbs are now blown out. Was trying to find replacement part on Mtd site but came up empty. I have the 145-990 Farm King edition. Could someone point me in the right direction for a regulator? Also I'm looking for a deck and possibly any other attachments. I already have the tiller just want to add to it.
Thanks

I would suggest you start your own thread in the MTD 990 section. This way it won't get confusing trying to help two members on the same thread. This way one of our vendors can direct your VR info directly to you. We like pics too :)
  • VTXrider said thank you

#18 1oldbuzz OFFLINE  

1oldbuzz
  • Member No: 61298
  • 257 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 05:25 PM

Progress update

Well first I went and did it-- Bought a digital camera instead of a tractor,that said here goes.

Frame has been cleaned and painted,as well as rear end and other linkages and such.

added brackets to main loader beam and fitted.

Extented the motor mount plate area,also dropped the lift ram down to clear  and redrilled holes for the new Briggs opposed 18 twin.

And yes going to loose the PTO but this one will be dedicated to the loader.

Still a ways to go but getting there

Attached Thumbnails

• frt.JPG
  • frt lft.JPG
  • rear.JPG

• VTXrider and Sawdust have said thanks

#19 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 09:40 AM

Great start OB. I am interested how you are doing the FEL mounting. It looks like you have one similar to mine. Nice front tires too, what are they?

Suggestion on your pictures. I am not being critical, just want to help so we can follow closer. 

Better in the outside light or flash. Fully frame the tractor (closer) and save to a file size between 500 - 800kb so we can zoom in on the details. I take mine at the highest resolution and change the file size to suit the forum, using this free software.

http://www.faststone...sizerDetail.htm

I just bought another camera also and have been playing with it. An image editor is useful also for cropping or brightening a picture. I use this freebee. 

http://www.photoscap.../main/index.php

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#20 1oldbuzz OFFLINE  

1oldbuzz
  • 257 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 04:27 AM

Front tires I got off ebay

I think they were $75 for the pair and free shipping

Nanco is the brand

The loader is taged as a sears,I belive it to be a kwik way.

The sub frame is also for early sears suburbans.

Anyhow I only used the main beam for the uprites and welded brackets

to it

I will get some pics of the bracket in the next few days

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 06:07 AM

Great start OB. I am interested how you are doing the FEL mounting. It looks like you have one similar to mine. Nice front tires too, what are they?

Suggestion on your pictures. I am not being critical, just want to help so we can follow closer. 

Better in the outside light or flash. Fully frame the tractor (closer) and save to a file size between 500 - 800kb so we can zoom in on the details. I take mine at the highest resolution and change the file size to suit the forum, using this free software.

http://www.faststone...sizerDetail.htm

I just bought another camera also and have been playing with it. An image editor is useful also for cropping or brightening a picture. I use this freebee. 

http://www.photoscap.../main/index.php

You can resize in Photoscape also. I usually do not resize the pics out of my digital camera, though it takes a while for them to upload. The software here resizes to a nice viewing pic.

But I will agree with either getting the tractor out in the sun or all the way in to use flash. The camera will set the shutter speed for the brighter areas and not pick up the shaded parts very well.

• VTXrider said thank you

#22 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 07:41 AM

Your FEL may be just like mine. I reinforced the bucket edged and had new hoses made. I found the manual if you don't have it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image 01.jpg
  • Image 02.jpg
  • Image 03.jpg

Attached Files

• Sawdust and 1oldbuzz have said thanks

#23 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 07:48 AM

You can resize in Photoscape also. I usually do not resize the pics out of my digital camera, though it takes a while for them to upload. The software here resizes to a nice viewing pic.

But I will agree with either getting the tractor out in the sun or all the way in to use flash. The camera will set the shutter speed for the brighter areas and not pick up the shaded parts very well.

The resize in PhotoScape is in pixel count or physical size. I don't find a file size reducer or is it the same thing?

Edited by VTXrider, May 04, 2015 - 07:56 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#24 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 08:14 AM

It's going to be a good project to watch OB for my next 990. I like the front tires too what size are they. I have the 23x10.5x12 Nanco Ags. I'm not sure which GT I'll put them on. The larger Nancos run a little smaller than tires like Carlisle's. The engine looks nice too.

#25 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 08:17 AM

It's going to be a good project to watch OB for my next 990. I like the front tires too what size are they. I have the 23x10.5x12 Nanco Ags. I'm not sure which GT I'll put them on. The larger Nancos run a little smaller than tires like Carlisle's. The engine looks nice too.

Agreed Sawdust.

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 09:22 AM

The resize in PhotoScape is in pixel count or physical size. I don't find a file size reducer or is it the same thing?

It's the same thing. Reducing the pixel count reduces the size. I click on the arrow next to resize and pick 'Adjust the longer length'. That adjusts both directions at once.

#27 1oldbuzz OFFLINE  

1oldbuzz
  • 257 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 03:06 PM

I'll try to take these replies in order.

My loader is a little different in that the main uprites do not double as a hydraulic tank.

Also has self leveling arms. I don't think the loader ever saw much use can't see any wear on the bucket edge.

With pics I'm happy to get them from the camera to the puter to the post.

not going to try any of the resizing and such.

Also was at the end of my day was tiered and didn't feel like moving

the truck to get it out in good light.

tire size is 16x6.50x 8 was the best deal I found (ebay) local would have been about $50 a tire.

This is my second set

mounted on trailer rims and I did the trailer hub conversion with poor mans power steering.

I may do a rack and pinion swap in the future.

Thanks for the coments

• Sawdust said thank you

#28 1oldbuzz OFFLINE  

1oldbuzz
  • 257 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 02:53 AM

Progress update

Spent most of the day connecting the rest of the hydraulic lines back up.

Had to make a new drive shaft

plumbed the exhaust

Rigged a temporary gas tank

Bolted on a couple pieces of the body work

Just had to drive it out of the garage

Still a lot of work ahead

But it lives

Also included a couple pics of how I did my loader main beam

Attached Thumbnails

• front lft.JPG
  • frt rt 14.JPG
  • rear rt (2).JPG
  • bracket on tractor.JPG
  • loader bracket rt.JPG

#29 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 07:06 AM

Great pics! It's looking good!

#30 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 07:06 AM

It sure is looking good. It's coming together nicely. I can remember when I rebuilt my 990 the most excitement I had was when I put the grille on. Make sure you post & document what your doing I think this will be a well followed project.