• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,336 Thanks
  • 28,645 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 12:38 AM

Many years ago, my parents bought a 26 ton splitter. It has heated a home for probably a decade. From day one, however, it has been a hard starter. I believe there has always been something wrong with the engine. I personally have worn out one starter rope and was well on my way to another. Dad actually wore out the threads on the head taking the plugs out to put gas in it to get it running.

The original engine was an 8 hp Tecumseh. We decided to repower it with another.
I had an engine all lined up... Off a snowblower, good runner, great little engine.
Unfortunately, after spending several hours getting everything ready for the transplant, the adapter hole pattern was not compatible with the side cover.

The search for another engine was on.
I had bought a very ugly tractor at a flea market... It was an engine, tranny and a few parts. The engine was a two puller on any day it seemed. I decided this was the engine to power Dads old splitter.
It's a 10 hp engine. I think the carb needs a little cleaning (wants to run lean) but it starts and has power, just have to keep the choke pulled 1/16".
Here are pics of the old engine, replacement engine, first run and a couple pics Ryan shot yesterday down by the wood pile.
Darned nice to get be able to start this thing without a lot of effort, ether, and angst.image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Here is a video of the first split. A nasty little piece of an OLD apple tree.

Dad would be happy it's been done, and it's now a dependable tool again. Only things left are replace the lovejoy and build a cover for the pump-adapter mount.
  • NUTNDUN, DH1, daytime dave and 14 others have said thanks

#2 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 01:15 AM

I know exactly what you mean. Ours had a Briggs on and the recoil would not work properly. After we did get it running it would run like crap. Wouldn't run half the time.Evan after shroud was replaced. We would spend 1/2 getting it running. The engine locked up( blessing in disguise). We bought a brand new model Briggs w/ same crank diameter. I had to make a different adapter plate. We split more wood in first hour than we did w/ old engine in 3 hrs. We should've done that years ago.
  • NUTNDUN, MH81, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 06:21 AM

Glad you made it into an easier to use machine! Splitters are an asset, but only if they are dependable.

• MH81, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 06:58 AM

Good stuff I put one of those Honda clones on my friends log splitter for the same reason, an engine that starts easy, 1 to 3 pulls.

• MH81 and Auburn David have said thanks

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 09:54 AM

Glad you got it replaced. When it comes to pull starts after that 3rd or fourth pull you always say to yourself here we go again. I don't want to get off topic but seems like the best pull starter I have is the Honda on my Karcher pressure washer. No matter how long it sits it always starts by the 2nd or 3rd pull or first if it has been ran recently.

• MH81 and ckjakline have said thanks

#6 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 10:06 AM

Nothing worse then needing to use something and you have to work to get it started . Glad you got it fixed and now it's dependable again
  • MH81 said thank you

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 06:35 PM

I have a gas powered air compressor. I found out if I choke fully and pull the rope a few times, then half choke, it starts first hard pull.

• MH81 said thank you

#8 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 10:55 PM

Glad you got it replaced. When it comes to pull starts after that 3rd or fourth pull you always say to yourself here we go again. I don't want to get off topic but seems like the best pull starter I have is the Honda on my Karcher pressure washer. No matter how long it sits it always starts by the 2nd or 3rd pull or first if it has been ran recently.

that makes me feel realy good.Since the new engine if it doesn't start on the first or second pull,i know theres something up.

• MH81 said thank you

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,336 Thanks
  • 28,645 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 11:05 PM

It was in the teens early today, and it fired up second pull. First one to choke, second to get to business. Didnt get to work it today, just started it to make myself smile.
  • IamSherwood, KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 06:39 AM

It was in the teens early today, and it fired up second pull. First one to choke, second to get to business. Didnt get to work it today, just started it to make myself smile.

Ryan must have been busy with school work.

It just seems odd, that we only see videos of Ryan working.

:poke:  :smilewink:

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,336 Thanks
  • 28,645 posts