Cable Company Fight

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Username OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,064 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 02:14 PM

My dad had cable for 20 plus years.  He's 90 and lives alone so there isn't much he can do other than watch TV.  He took a shine to the science channel and watched it quite often.  All of the sudden, he didn't have it.  He called the cable company who told him that if he wanted the science channel back, he would have to pay more.  That got the whole thing started.  I won't type the whole book but after around 25 to 30 calls by three different people and one trip up to the office. his cable service is now cancelled.  Never have I been through such an ordeal to cancel a service.  The cable company in our area has a "customer retention" office rather than customer service.  That should tell us something right there.  In the end they told him that all he needed to do was call and complain and he would have had the science channel back and a rate reduction.  Huh?  You shouldn't have to do that.  If they say things like that it makes you wonder how much they are actually making.  He likes the package he has now.  More channels, less money.  He's a happy guy.

You don't have to make one call to cancel service,just stop paying and it will be taken care of.

• David Brown said thank you

#17 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,137 Thanks
  • 2,269 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 02:37 PM

You don't have to make one call to cancel service,just stop paying and it will be taken care of.

So true!

#18 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,047 Thanks
  • 4,977 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 03:38 PM

We pay nearly 200 a month for cable and internet. I remember dad complaining about 20 a month for basic and 20 for dial up interner

But mine is so high because I keep the 100mbps Internet going. I download a lot of 2 gig to 10 gig files so it is nice to be able to do that in minutes instead of hours.

#19 Doxey OFFLINE  

• Member No: 48959
  • 107 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 03:40 PM

I spend most of my spare time on the internet.  I can't see paying for tv too.  I just have antenna for that.  I'm retired, live alone, so that probably makes a difference.

#20 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61995
  • 886 Thanks
  • 545 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 09:12 AM

A while back the wife and I decided to upgrade our phones to smart phones.  We were with Verizon, I see this ad for $160 @ month for 4 lines Ok sounds good since we needed 3 lines.  Well not so fast!  I had a phone that was still in great shape from my son so I wanted to use it.  Oh no you have to buy new phones to be on the plan and the kicker was the phone they were offering us was the same phone I had from our son.  To make along story short by the time they were done figuring up all the charges it was going to cost over $260 @ Month well over doubling our current bill.  So I started looking around and the wife got got an email from Walmart with some phones on sale so we got two phones from Straight talk with the Verizon chip.  So for unlimited talk and text and 3GB data on two phones and a house phone it costs $105 @ Month.  The trick to Straight talk is they have phones for AT&T, T-mobile, Verizon and another carrier I don't remember.  You need to go with the phone that uses the Carrier that works best in your area.  So if AT&T works better then Verizon then get a phone that uses the AT&T network.
Also be aware that you can only close your account on the last day of your billing cycle.  The wife called to close the account when we had our new phones setup.  They told her that they would suspend the account but she would have to call back on the last day of the billing cycle to close it.  We did get our money back but having to go through the extra step did not leave a good taste for Verizon.
All of you on cable or broadband have you ever considered knocking your bill down to just internet and streaming your TV?  If Direct TV goes up again this year we may do just that.  I have been researching and there isn't much you can't get on the internet over what the TV providers have to offer and in reality there is more to choose from and a lot more variety.   It is easy to setup and a whole lot cheaper.

The young kids that get hired at work don't get cable or dish. They have a cell phone and Internet only and stream anything they want to watch. Of course they spend most of their free time in bars chasing skirts and they have to find a place to watch big sporting events. My boys and I pretty much only watch sports and the History and Discovery channels. And that's mainly when the weather is bad or we are hanging out on Saturday night. And I like to watch the local and national news.

If I were alone I wouldn't have a landline or cable tv. I can live happily without either one.
  • HDWildBill said thank you