Cable Company Fight

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61995
  • 887 Thanks
  • 545 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 10:23 PM

So the cable company has been steadily increasing my bill here and there until it's getting near car payment size. After a particularly interesting week at work, I closed my office door, dialed up the cable company and the poor soul on the receiving end got an earful. I wasn't ugly but direct. I let the person know upfront that before I got off the phone they were changing the amount they charge me or I was moving on and if they weren't capable of doing that then get me to a supervisor first thing.

The first guy tried to jerk me around. After enough of the dance, I elevated the directness and a supervisor got on the line.

The supervisor tried to jerk me around, too. Then I did get ugly and started quoting tv commercials. Lo and behold, they had a special for existing customers. And my bill is now over $ 130 less per month. That will now migrate to my squirrel money fund for those irresistible deals that sometimes come along.

If you've had enough of your cable and Internet bill, give them a call, be persistent and make them change it. They are just short of monopolistic and they know it.

I know the people on the other end of the phone were just doing their job and trying to make a living and I feel for them putting up with crap like that, but it's their company creating the policies.

But 20 minutes on the phone is going to save me nearly $1600 a year. That's a pretty darn good hourly rate.
  • Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 14 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,461 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 10:27 PM

Yeah, I have to do that to all my phone/internet/satellite tv companies every year or so. We shouldn't have to go thru that, but they just keep making more money til we cry foul !!

• Alc, tinbender7, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,746 Thanks
  • 2,723 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 11:51 PM

They surely rip us a new one I had cable like JB they were always raising the rate them and me soon parted I have dish network now and I keep my programming down its better.
  • tinbender7 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#4 petrj6 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,701 Thanks
  • 2,161 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 04:56 AM

I leave that sort of thing to my wife, she is the parts manager at the locale ford place and an absolute menace on the phone !!!!!  If she thinks there is a better deal out there than look the F%(k out.  I think on the last report from the ford place she had saved them around 20k yearly and boosted sales by I don't know how much.  when she thinks we are being overcharged she simply calls and things get lowered.  she said something about the insurance the other day and I am friends with ou agent, I almost called the poor guy to warn him but figured what the heck he is probably overcharging anyways.

• Alc, tinbender7, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,504 Thanks
  • 7,369 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 06:36 AM

We got a new phone and internet company last fall. All kinds of problems including a 3 day weekend without internet. I switched to the cable company for internet which is much faster. I droped the phone company and got MajicJack from Walmart. I'm saving about $50 per month. The MajicJack is okay but sometimes you get liitle interruptions in it.
It works through cable. Good Luck, Rick

I'm planning to put up an antenna and cut cable. My neighbor gets 40 channels with his antenna.

Edited by boyscout862, March 28, 2015 - 08:27 AM.

• tinbender7 and Sawdust have said thanks

#6 toppop52 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54420
  • 3,218 Thanks
  • 3,211 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 07:19 AM

I did the same, saved $100 month on cell phones and $50 on cable.

• tinbender7 said thank you

#7 Username OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,064 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 08:23 AM

Can I ask how much you were paying before your bill was lowered? I think our local cable is not much more than $130 a month including internet.

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,119 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 08:27 AM

Can I ask how much you were paying before your bill was lowered? I think our local cable is not much more than $130 a month including internet.

All depends on the package you get.

#9 3v0 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 26648
  • 79 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 08:34 AM

We were not watching much TV so we ditched DirectTV 2 years ago.  We have netflix and amazon prime (for the shipping) streaming.  Better things to do than watch TV.  Been listening to free audiobooks on librivox podiobooks.

We tuned off the landline 2 months ago.  No point in having it. 

#10 cumminsdeere87 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 64961
  • 16 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 08:51 AM

Ive been thinking of cutting my services also but im afraid ill want it when the super bowl comes on and i love nascar haha. So im not sure?
  • Sawdust said thank you

#11 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 09:03 AM

I was with dish for more years then I care to remember. Two weeks ago AT&T came to the door and lowered my rate by 60 a month I called up dish and talked to them nothing they could do . Called them back in 2 days to cancel my service and they water to beat AT&T prices give me free channels , I told the guy on the other end of the phone 2 days ago you couldn't help me . So now it to late . I was raised to be loyal to you customers and they will be loyal to you but I guess big business never learned that
  • HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#12 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,137 Thanks
  • 2,269 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 10:13 AM

My dad had cable for 20 plus years.  He's 90 and lives alone so there isn't much he can do other than watch TV.  He took a shine to the science channel and watched it quite often.  All of the sudden, he didn't have it.  He called the cable company who told him that if he wanted the science channel back, he would have to pay more.  That got the whole thing started.  I won't type the whole book but after around 25 to 30 calls by three different people and one trip up to the office. his cable service is now cancelled.  Never have I been through such an ordeal to cancel a service.  The cable company in our area has a "customer retention" office rather than customer service.  That should tell us something right there.  In the end they told him that all he needed to do was call and complain and he would have had the science channel back and a rate reduction.  Huh?  You shouldn't have to do that.  If they say things like that it makes you wonder how much they are actually making.  He likes the package he has now.  More channels, less money.  He's a happy guy.

• MH81, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#13 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 10:29 AM

We're down to the basic cable with high speed internet. We dropped our land line last year because everyone uses the cell phones. One of our daughters has fiber optics with AT&T, all kinds of problems, the other daughter has Dish, cloud goes over they loose their service. My wife is good also about calling once a year or so. I think the cable companies will flex more since they have to compete with the dish networks. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,417 Thanks
  • 4,883 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 01:13 PM

Yep, been down that road too. I was paying close to 190 per month then all of a sudden, they jumped to 210. Called and they dropped it back down. Then I went into local store one day to pay bill cause I never got statement in the mail the guy looked at my account, price dropped to 140 per month. Now why couldn't they have done that when I called the first time? 

Then, we move in with my mom, called Time Warner about moving our service to mom's, the said we could not get it, but yet house directly across street has it, I dunno. We got Direct for TV and Cincy Bell Fiber optics for internet and mom's phone, then 2 months after we moved in, a Time Warner truck shows up in drive. We asked him what he was doing, he said someone from this address requested a hook so he was putting junction box up. Uhm dude, you are 2 months too late.

I hate the fiber optics by the way, service is good, but the customer service for Cincy Bell is horrible. Call a local number and get transferred to India. 

• HDWildBill said thank you

#15 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,649 Thanks
  • 8,525 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 02:08 PM

A while back the wife and I decided to upgrade our phones to smart phones.  We were with Verizon, I see this ad for $160 @ month for 4 lines Ok sounds good since we needed 3 lines.  Well not so fast!  I had a phone that was still in great shape from my son so I wanted to use it.  Oh no you have to buy new phones to be on the plan and the kicker was the phone they were offering us was the same phone I had from our son.  To make along story short by the time they were done figuring up all the charges it was going to cost over $260 @ Month well over doubling our current bill.  So I started looking around and the wife got got an email from Walmart with some phones on sale so we got two phones from Straight talk with the Verizon chip.  So for unlimited talk and text and 3GB data on two phones and a house phone it costs $105 @ Month.  The trick to Straight talk is they have phones for AT&T, T-mobile, Verizon and another carrier I don't remember.  You need to go with the phone that uses the Carrier that works best in your area.  So if AT&T works better then Verizon then get a phone that uses the AT&T network.

Also be aware that you can only close your account on the last day of your billing cycle.  The wife called to close the account when we had our new phones setup.  They told her that they would suspend the account but she would have to call back on the last day of the billing cycle to close it.  We did get our money back but having to go through the extra step did not leave a good taste for Verizon.

All of you on cable or broadband have you ever considered knocking your bill down to just internet and streaming your TV?  If Direct TV goes up again this year we may do just that.  I have been researching and there isn't much you can't get on the internet over what the TV providers have to offer and in reality there is more to choose from and a lot more variety.   It is easy to setup and a whole lot cheaper.