Our little backyard friends

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 cumminsdeere87 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 64961
  • 16 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 08:47 AM

Ive actually never had problems with them till last year when my corn got about 2 ft tall the squirrels would climb it and tear it down. I swear ive never seen them do that before but now i watch them with my pellet gun hahah.

#17 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,248 Thanks
  • 7,478 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 09:41 AM

FWIW If you start early in the spring, when the squirrels are young, you can acclimate them to eating chicken instead of nuts and seeds.

#18 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

• Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 10:12 AM

Darn tree rats get into the chicken feed every chance they can.  Used to plant corn and beans close to the tree line, darn rats enjoy them, we don't.  Corn/beans will be grown elsewhere this year, wonder how far they will go to steal?  We have the smaller red rats, I've only seen the good eating gray ones a couple times here.

#19 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 10:43 AM

We live in the city limits but had a small farm outside of town. We would gather black walnuts every year & bring them home. My youngest daughter now 32 was about six years old at the time. I was showing her how to roll the walnuts across the yard & watch the squirrels come get them. After awhile I was getting them about twenty feet away from us. I had to go in the garage so I told her to keep them a safe distance away because they can be aggressive. She had speech problems & she would pronounce her F words with an SH. Awhile later she came running in the garage yelling Daddy, daddy the whole shamilies out here, so I ran out their & sure enough she had eight squirrels out there all different sizes going crazy over these walnuts. 

My wife don't like me feeding them because they dig her flowers up & like mentioned eat holes in the veggies.

#20 Hydro guy OFFLINE  

Hydro guy
  • Member No: 63243
  • 174 Thanks
  • 128 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 12:15 PM

my olny complaint is that the dang critters dig in my mulch by my trees, just like a pocket gopher.

#21 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,678 Thanks
  • 39,056 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 06:33 PM

We've  got red squirrels around here. They all answer to Sammie! Guess I need to find a way to tell them apart!

#22 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,050 Thanks
  • 4,981 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 07:24 PM

I never had a problem with then getting in my stuff.

I do enjoy par boiling them then pulling all the meat off the bone and frying the meat with peppers and onions. Slap on a hoagie bun and it's the best sandwich in the world.

We bought a dozen meat rabbits and put them in a pen at the camp. We ate 2 of them though.

#23 zippy1 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 602 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted April 03, 2015 - 12:19 AM

It's cool that your kids like watching them, better than staring at a computer screen in my opinion.

Around here they are fair game. THEY WRECKED to many bird feeders, and besides that, my two labs Ruger and Colt love playing with squirrels.

#24 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,548 Thanks
  • 3,080 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 12:17 AM

Bushy tailed roof rats! In the fall they stash mushrooms everywhere, usually manage to fill the cross over auger in the grain bin and the chickens get chopped 'shrooms in their oats for a while. But I still love the little guys and don't mind when they get in the bird feeder. Up here they spend most of the winter sleeping anyhow.

#25 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,361 Thanks
  • 3,129 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 11:20 AM

Had a bear visit me the other night and he took down my bird feeders as gental as could be and ate them clean. The tree rats on the other hand make a huge mess and ruin the feeders by chewing them all up.....
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#26 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 6,332 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 03:05 PM

I have a rat problem too.  Too many large suburb forest rats.  These have hooves and are eating everything in the neighborhood.  I looked into the neighbors yard and saw six of them there.  It was around 1:00 pm or so.  They didn't care.  The other morning, around 5am, I counted over 12 across the street at the neighbors.  

In the foreground of the photograph is the lead to the electric fence that goes to "daytime dave's suburban garden."  I'm going to make sure I add a course of wire along the top.  I usually only do three along the bottom and one in the middle to hang the fence placards from.  I have a dog fence around the back yard and they tend to stay out of my hard.  

There's more wildlife in my backyard then there is at my parent's farm.  No pressure here from hunters or predators.  

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#27 jabelman OFFLINE  

• Member No: 38843
  • 1,454 Thanks
  • 1,121 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 05:47 PM

I have some taco eating crows

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150328_082129.jpg

• oldedeeres and Hydro guy have said thanks

#28 Hydro guy OFFLINE  

Hydro guy
  • Member No: 63243
  • 174 Thanks
  • 128 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 06:55 AM

I have some taco eating crowsThe crows in our back yard are huge,,  they will actually chase the squirrels away from the bird feeders,  I heard they taste like chicken. 

#29 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,548 Thanks
  • 3,080 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 08:57 AM

Years ago I shot, prepped and cooked some black birds on a dare. They and about a million others were in a neighbours sunflower field. They roasted up right nicely, and tasted like grouse !    :rolling:  :rolling: