Garden Tractor Forums banner

Which takes more hp to operate, snow thrower or snow blower?

2K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  toppop52 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you had both the thrower and blower the same width and same height which one would need more hp to operate or are both the same ?? Noel.
I have a guess.

#4 ·
From Wikipedia...

A snow blower or snow thrower is a machine for removing snow from an area where it is not wanted, such as a driveway, sidewalk, roadway, railroad track, ice rink, runway, or houses. The term "snow thrower" is often used to encompass snow throwers and snow blowers, however, in proper a snow thrower is a machine that uses a single stage to remove or "throw" snow while a snowblower uses two stages to remove or "blow" snow. It can use either electric power (line power or battery), or a gasoline or diesel engine to throw snow to another location or into a truck to be hauled away. This is in contrast with the action of snow plows, which push snow to the front or side (shovels can be similarly used).

#5 ·
Thanks Wilberj. I could not of explained better myself. Noel.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
If your talking dual stage vs single stage I would thing a dual stage would need more power if for any other reason their is more parts turning thus more mechanical friction---and your also moving the snow twice,once from the auger to the impeller and then from the auger out the chute-----------But I have been wrong before.

Sorry I meant to say ---from the IMPELLER out the chute

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Why didn't you just say single stage vs. dual stage? :poke:

I think dual (2 stage) would take more HP to operate given the info in the 1st post.

More mechanical goodies spinning & turning, thus friction, thus more HP to run it!!

OOPS, kind of the same thing Bill 76 said....My bad.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Opps, I figured every body knew the difference between a snow thrower and snow blower, sorry. Noel

Snow caster is a snow thrower , as far as I know.

#12 ·
I'm going to play devils advocate here.If both are the same area wise I would think the single stage would need more power. Single stages spin faster than two stage in the initial contact area because the auger portion and impeller portion are connected, so you have a fast spinning body meeting a larger contact area. A two stage uses a slower auger speed to feed the impeller so you need less power. Not to mention most single stages need to be force fed to work efficiently.

#14 ·
I agree with Leonard Van Camp and Rock Farmer. I think it would take more hp to operate a single stage thrower, because it has to do every thing in one stage where as the blower breaks it up into two stages which makes it easier to operate. Just my opinion. Noel.

#16 ·
I've had both the 2 Stage Blowers Certainly took more HP to run. Also a lot depends on the engineering and the condition, if a 1 stage Thrower gets the paddles wore they quickly loose there efficiency.

If you look at the small Horse Power walk behind units they are almost always 1 stage throwers and 5 hp and up are blowers.

Advantages to each design just my 2 cents worth.

#20 ·
In the Bolens world, the early Large Frames with the lower HP Wisconsin singles could only be outfitted with a single stage unit. Although you would be able to fit the later 2-stage blower (from the higher HP Kohler twin-equipped Large Frames) the lower HP tractors did not have enough grunt to run the big blowers. And all tube frame tractors ( lower HP singles) used single stage throwers (snowcasters). That tells me something about the relative HP requirements for the two types.

Reactions: propane1
#21 ·
Ford tractors lgt 100 up to 165 could have a thrower or a blower as far as I know. I have see both. But maybe the thrower was one model, and blower was on the other model of tractor. Noel.

#22 ·
Just a question 3v0. I have blowers but started using a thrower just a few weeks ago , and was wondering the difference. They work differently the throwers as compared to a blower. Noel.

#23 ·
I realize that Wikipedia is the gospel...insert rolleyes here... but those two terms are interchangeable and mean virtually the same thing. There are one and two stage versions, but they both do the same job in the same general manor. It's like changing the name a vacuum cleaner because it's got an additional "turbo chamber".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.