• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted March 09, 2010 - 06:37 PM

here are a few pics of "Pennsylvania CoPar Panzers", I've even seen 4WD models, but can't find the pics. These are very rare in my parts, but more common in the NE.

DSC00920..jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00923..jpg
  • DSC00922..jpg

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted March 09, 2010 - 06:45 PM

Here's a couple from the 2009 Erie County Fair

Attached Thumbnails

• randomtractordog.jpg

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted March 09, 2010 - 06:47 PM

Here's another, but tube frame.
DSC00905..jpg

#4 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 09, 2010 - 06:54 PM

Those are amazing!

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 09, 2010 - 07:00 PM

WQW ! Those are great.

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted March 09, 2010 - 07:02 PM

I got one more.....
[ATTACH]1304[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails

• randomtractordog.jpg

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 09, 2010 - 07:06 PM

I think there were a couple at the Fawn Grove show I went to.

#8 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted March 09, 2010 - 07:50 PM

Rely getting a education on old tractors today.Larry

#9 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted March 09, 2010 - 08:56 PM

I shot a couple of the large wheeled models last summer....

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 09, 2010 - 11:05 PM

Those are some really nice photos, Todd. Thanks for sharing them!

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 10, 2010 - 01:00 PM

Yep they were some of them, I think there were a couple of the green ones at the show too, I will have to see if I snapped any pics of them and post em.

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 10, 2010 - 01:08 PM

Well there was at least one green one there, I took a couple pics of the same one:

DSC_1180.jpg

Here is another shot of the one that tweidman posted.
DSC_1207.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_1181.jpg

#13 Gary Burnett OFFLINE  

Gary Burnett

• Member No: 44
  • 10 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted March 11, 2010 - 08:47 AM

For a little history they were Copar Panzer early on and then the company was bought by Virginia Metal Crafters about 30 miles from me (I've met several guys that worked in that plant) VA Metal Crafters then bought the Pennsylvania Tractor Company a garden tractor outfit to get a network of dealers.Their first effort was the Meteor one of the first if not the first hydro drive garden tractor but the tractor was too expensive so they made a mechanical drive version plus some smaller riders and a few push mowers with Alumium decks.Va Metal Crafters gave all their employees a Meteor as a Christmas bonus one year so the two places to find these tractors in quantity is in PA and here in central Virgina.I have a Meteor with deck,snow blade and snowblower all in very good condition plus a riding mower and the only PA Push Mower I have ever seen. Once knew a guy with a Christmas tree farm the had about 15 Panzers to mow between the trees quite a scene on Saturdays when he'd have his kids and some others all mowing with these things.He died and his collection was scattered but his son kept two and promised to sell them to me if he gets rid of them.
  • NUTNDUN, Bolens 1000, Bill56 and 1 other said thanks

#14 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 11, 2010 - 09:55 AM

Thank you for some of the history on the Panzers Gary. You need to start posting some pics of all your tractors. That and it would take you a year to enter them all into the Garden Tractor Talk Forums - Registry Database LOL

#15 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted March 11, 2010 - 01:41 PM

I found this...

PANZER CHANGES THROUGHOUT THE YEARS

By Jim Haynes

Panzer tractors originated with an engineer named Jim Clark. Jim worked for a precision instrument manufacturer named Ahrendt Instrument Company. Jim had just built a new house in the Washington suburb of College Park Maryland and he rented a walk behind garden tractor to help him with the landscaping. Landscaping with the walk behind proved to be more work than Jim thought it should be and the tractor was not much help. Jim felt he could build a better product, so he talked to farmers, gardeners and members of the Department of Agriculture at the University of Maryland and with their help came up with a design. A proto-type was built in 1953, but was soon scrapped. Jim redesigned a new model that featured a used narrowed Dodge or Plymouth automobile rear end, individual rear brakes and a belt tightener/reverse disc (Gledematic) drive system. These features remained as features of the Panzer throughout its existence. Jim's boss became interested in the tractor and thought it had sales potential so they formed a company called COPAR (short for College Park) to manufacture the tractor. A contest among the employees of Ahrendt Instruments was held to name the tractor and PANZER was the result. 1954 saw the start of production with about 350 tricycle Panzers built at College Park.

In 1955 COPAR moved to a refurbished plant in Laurel Maryland where it remained until 1960. Various models were built at Laurel including 4 models of tricycle and 4 models of the 4-wheel version of the tricycle. All featured 16" rear wheels and a 9hp Briggs and Stratton engine. Copar also introduced a light 4-wheel garden tractor in 1958. It featured 12" rear wheels and either a 4HP Clinton or 5 ¾ HP Briggs and Stratton engine. All College Park and Laurel tractors were painted red/yellow except the first model (all red) and the last (turquoise). Less than 10,000 tractors were produced in Laurel.

Copar was sold to Virginia Metalcrafters (VM) of Waynesboro Virginia in 1960. In 1961 VM redesigned the light tractor and eliminated the larger tricycles and 4 wheelers. All Panzers produced after 1960 were painted turquoise and from 1961 to 1963 all grills just read PANZER. Sales, quality and the number of attachments increased dramatically under VM ownership. Panzer became very competitive in the marketplace.

In 1963 VM purchased Pennsylvania Lawnmowers, one of the oldest manufacturers of lawnmowers in the world. Pennsylvania Lawnmowers dates back to the 1870’s. The company was renamed Pennsylvania Lawn Products in 1964 and the tractors were slightly redesigned and renamed as Pennsylvania Panzer. 1966 saw a major redesign to a square hooded model renamed the Pennsylvania Meteor. Early square hoods featured increased horsepower, a wide seat and one of the first hydrostatic (automatic) transmissions to be used on a small garden tractor. The price was just under $1000.00 for a tractor with no attachments. The Meteor with the hydrostatic transmission proved too expensive and so in 1968 the older belt tightener Glidematic drive returned, the name Meteor dropped and the Panzer name returned.

In 1970 Pennsylvania Products was sold to Schenuit Industries of Baltimore, Maryland. Schenuit also owned Jackson Manufacturing (Jackson Wheelbarrow) and the company became the Pennsylvania Products Division of Jackson Manufacturing. They also moved all production facilities to Martinsburg, West Virginia. All Panzers were discontinued and the new company focused on sheet metal riders and rotary walk behind mowers. In 1971 Schenuit Industries went bankrupt and Jackson Manufacturing was sold in the settlement, but Pennsylvania Products was closed. Machinery in the Martinsburg plant was sold to A.M.F. (Homko) and parts, foundry patterns, blueprints for all Pennsylvania and Panzer products sold to a new company Dandy Sales, Inc. The actual number of Panzers built is unknown, but almost certainly was under 50,000.
  • Bolens 1000, AcreFarm, Bill56 and 4 others have said thanks