Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What to look for when buying a round fender?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 67SS12 OFFLINE  

67SS12
  • Member No: 68800
  • 22 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 07:20 PM

I am going to look at 2 round fenders this weekend. I have never owned and old deere before, (2008 gator HPX and a 1997 LX172) but have decided that I want one as a restoration project. Is there anything in particular I should be on the lookout for? I've attached a few pics from the ad.

Attached Thumbnails

• deere.jpeg
  • deere2.jpeg
  • deere3.jpeg
  • deere4.jpeg

Edited by 67SS12, March 26, 2015 - 07:22 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,637 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 07:24 PM

My thoughts are when delving into unknown tractors, try to get one as complete as possible. If it runs to begin with, that's a plus.

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,578 Thanks
  • 3,897 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 07:31 PM

Look for fiberglass fenders and three lug hubs.   :thumbs:   :worshippy1:

#4 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 08:17 PM

Look for fiberglass fenders and three lug hubs.   :thumbs:   :worshippy1:

Yeah from an investment perspective.  That be a '63

If I were to look for one to restore and enjoy in parades or use around the yard I would look for a later machine.  65-67 would be my choice.  From your pics the tractors in question look to be '65 or '66 models.  I used a '66 110 for 3 years to mow my lawn and remove snow from my driveway.  Great little machine.  

I like the later machines for the following reasons:

• 4 spd transaxle
  • newer so they get the later production rolling changes

Got any info on the serial tags on these machines?  That will help figure to the year.

FWIW - the wiring harness is available directly from Deere if you need one.

Edited by Trav1s, March 26, 2015 - 08:23 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#5 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 09:47 PM

Well, of the two that you are showing in the pictures, the one with the motor is a 1967 110, and the other one is a 1965 110. They both appear to be in restorable shape, although both will need some work and parts. The '65 of course, will be an engine. You will need to find a Kohler K181S 8hp engine. The '65 is also missing the grill, the gas tank, the idler pulley cover next to the shifter, the shifter quadrant, and will need a variator handle. As for the '67, it appears that there was some major battery leakage, as it looks like the bottom of the dash pedestal is eaten or rusted away pretty good. Not exactly sure what is hanging off the back of the tractor, but hopefully it's not welded to the frame beyond repair. The headlights for this tractor are not originals.  

Things to check for would be, making sure the transmission shifts into all gears. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and reverse. Replacement trannies are available on ebay and Craigslist, however you have to be very trustworthy in the seller representation and honesty. On the '67, turn the engine by hand to make sure it isn't stuck, and also to see if it has compression. The '65 doesn't appear to have the starter/generator shield laying around, and it is very possible that both tractors are missing the pto shields. All of these pieces can be found, but can be expensive to buy when found. Not a big deal, but extra money still spent if restoring back to original. 

Other than the engines and transmissions, these little tractors can be very inexpensive. It appears that there is at least one mower deck included? If so, make sure you turn the blades to see if the bearings are good, or if they are rusted fast. Although not that big of a deal, still an added expense to help in price negotiation if needed.

Good luck to you, and I hope you get them. Keep us posted on your status, and maybe give us some detailed pictures of the tractors once you get them home. 

Edited by johndeereelfman, March 26, 2015 - 09:56 PM.

• Alc and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#6 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 07:01 AM

I guess I should add, that you can make one good tractor using both of these tractors. Personally, I would put the engine from the '67 into the '65, since the '65 seems to be in a little better condition. Just throwing the idea out there, as a way of saving you some money instead of trying to find all of the parts for both tractors. The grill from the '67 wouldn't be year correct for the '65, but would still work in getting at least one complete tractor together for use. 

• Trav1s and 3v0 have said thanks

#7 67SS12 OFFLINE  

67SS12
  • Member No: 68800
  • 22 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 08:56 AM

Thanks for all the replies and info. I'm going to take a look at both on Sunday and see how they look in person. Round fenders seem to pop up fairly often in my area so I don't HAVE to buy these ones, but if the price is right...
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#8 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 09:04 AM

I see you are located in Chester County, and since I'm in Lancaster County, we aren't that far apart from each. If you get the tractors and need some help, don't be afraid to ask. I would be willing to meet up with you sometime if need be, and give you an idea as to what parts you would be needing, if you'd be interested. No hard feelings if you're not, just letting you know that help is available if you want or need it.  

• 67SS12 said thank you

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,637 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 06:17 PM

I keep seeing this title and this just keeps popping into my head: Round Fenders!

#10 3v0 OFFLINE  

3v0
  • Member No: 26648
  • 79 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 07:04 PM

....Just throwing the idea out there, as a way of saving you some money instead of trying to find all of the parts for both tractors. The grill from the '67 wouldn't be year correct for the '65, but would still work in getting at least one complete tractor together for use. 

I strongly agree.  If you are missing more than just a few bits the cost of individual parts can easily exceed what you would pay for a tractor with the parts on it.

#11 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • Member No: 62323
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 07:11 PM

Make sure those fenders are round!

#12 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,471 Thanks