• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 01:58 PM

My god, what is wrong with people who get paid to do a job and act like they know what they are doing, even with a slight tinge of arrogance when they are talking to you. I brought my B1 engine to the mower shop to have a valve guide bushing installed and have the valve seats cut. That's all I wanted done and they did a great job, but they went ahead and ground the valve stems to set the valve lash. I did not ask them to do that, and man did they screw up the stems. The valve lash is in spec, but it looks like they took the valves out back and ground them on a rock. Obviously they just held the stem again stem a bench grinder until the lash was good. The valves are ground way out of square. Nothing like wrecking a pair of NOS valves. I'm going to bring the worst valve back up there and tell that piss poor excuse for a mechanic to leave the valve on the front counter. This way they can show customers the quality of work that they do. Anyway, I just ordered two more NOS valves so I can do the job right. Most of the younger generation is mechanically challenged and I see it at work. To be honest, it's really not their fault. This throw away society has created this.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150326_143045-1.jpg

• Bolens 1000, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 15 others have said thanks

#2 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,874 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 02:22 PM

I understand your venting completely. The last line of your post has it nailed imo.

• tractorgarden, trowel, tinbender7 and 3 others have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 02:22 PM

Wow thats bad!

I would be pissed if that happened to me!, especially when your already in a dicey situation using NLA parts that sometimes you only get 1 chance at!

Glad you were able to find some replacements, I would definitely ask for some type of discount/refund!

Unfortunately its getting harder for shops to hire decent mechanics.

• tinbender7, Cvans and classic have said thanks

#4 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 02:26 PM

:shoot2: :mad2: :wallbanging: :deadhorse:      Man Do i feel your pain . I know what you went through.! !  !

Patrick.

• tinbender7 and classic have said thanks

#5 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 02:36 PM

Time for the shop to buy you some new valves.

• olcowhand, tinbender7, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#6 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 03:22 PM

My guess is they don't have a valve grinding machine cus everyone I ever used is capable of grinding the valve stem tip. 

Your way to kind, wanting to put in on the counter I would like to stuff it where he sets.

• KennyP, tinbender7, Cvans and 5 others have said thanks

#7 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 03:24 PM

I'm with Will on this one. I would take my receipt back for the replacements & request a refund. I agree a disposable, I know everything & don't tell me how to do it society. Glad too you were able to get replacements.

• tinbender7, oldedeeres and classic have said thanks

#8 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 03:46 PM

I can understand being upset about paying for half-azzed work, but the valves can be saved.

By cutting the valve seats a little, the clearance at the stem will close up so that it can be set properly.

It really doesn't require much material to be removed from the seats to close the clearance.

• Bolens 1000, Alc, tinbender7 and 3 others have said thanks

#9 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 03:55 PM

I'm more disappointed then angry. If I needed the tractor to mow this weekend, then I'd be pissed. I know the old guy that owns the shop and we shoot the breeze whenever I stop buy. He has other people doing the work in the back, and I'm sure he didn't inspect the job when it was completed. He'll make good on the valves, I'm sure, and hopefully he doesn't allow shabby work leave the shop like that again.
I'm easy going and always willing to give people a chance if they screw up and admit it. If they continue screwing up, I don't bother with them. I've had to train quite a few people at work over the years and some are receptive, and some are not. Some people just can't be trained no matter how much you try, and it's mostly due to a lack of common sense or arrogance. It used to bother me, but not anymore. I guess over time I just realized that they have to live with themselves when we send them on their way.
  • Bolens 1000, Bruce Dorsi, Delmar and 9 others have said thanks

#10 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 04:03 PM

I don't want to cut my seats deeper to fix the problem Bruce, but thanks for mentioning it. I had a friend of mine grind a valve face for me on my Squire to close up the lash. You're right, it didn't take much at all to close the gap. The shop is going to buy those valves off of me, so I won't be using them, and the new valves are already on the way. Luckily the vendor had more NOS valves to send me.
  • Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, Bruce Dorsi and 3 others have said thanks

#11 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,222 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 04:10 PM

WOW is all I can say, I have ground valve clearances with a bench grinder and then filed them to be smooth but man is that a hack !!!!  even Izabelle could do a better job than that !!  glad you have new valves on the way.

Pete

• tinbender7 and classic have said thanks

#12 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 04:32 PM

Yea, it's a real hack job, Pete. It would have been fine for a while if I assembled the engine, but the valves would start tapping, once that little roof top he made on the tip of the stem wore down. Unreal.
  • tinbender7 and propane1 have said thanks

#13 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,115 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 05:26 PM

If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself , doesn't mater what it is, but we all have things we can't do , because one can't be trained in everything, so we have to find someone to do it. Finding that person is difficult at times. Throw away world, your right, most businesses to day find the problem , then replace the part, no matter what business it is. Noel.
  • olcowhand, tinbender7, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 05:37 PM

Besides not being able to afford hiring much done for me, what happened to your valves is the other reason I don't hire much done.  If it's gonna be a hack job, I'm gonna be the one to do it!  :rolling:

• Alc, Mr Electrak, tinbender7 and 8 others have said thanks

#15 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,115 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 05:46 PM

My son and I were working on his 1964 rambler the other day. We were working on the gas gauge sending unit. We took it apart to clean up the connector in side it. When we retested it ,it worked, my son commented, boy it's nice to fix something rather than replace it, he works at ford as a mechanic. Most things are just replaced there. Noel
  • Alc, Delmar, tinbender7 and 5 others have said thanks