#1 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1918
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 02:17 PM

I just Picked up a Scotts Brand Lawn tractor, 17 HP 42 inch deck, Just need a battery, it's just a lawn tractor but I couldn't pass it up for $100...Haven't checked all the numbers etc. on it yet but My Question is I'm told by some guys that John Deere Made these Tractors, is that true?
I just assumed they were another MTD Cookie Cutter Model.

Edited by DanO, March 15, 2011 - 05:45 PM.

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 02:46 PM

Dan, First off, yes JD. made Scotts tractors for a couple of years. If you look at the I.D. plate, it will say John Deere on it ,if made by Deere. I sold a tractor jusr like the one discribe for 550.00 last fall, and the guy was happy to get it. It should have a Kohler vertical shaft twin in it. JD. made 2 lawn tractors and 1 garden tractor for Scotts.

downsized_1204100848.jpg

Here is the one I sold.

Edited by Texas Deere and Horse, March 15, 2011 - 03:06 PM.
added picture

• DanO said thank you

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 03:21 PM

Dan, Also if you back up the tractor with PTO on, you have to hold down a button to the left of steering column or the engine wiil die. Some kind of safety switch, I guess..LOL

#4 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 04:21 PM

Thanks For the Info Guys....I just got her home & now I know For Sure She is a John Deere Product. Even says on the Tag Made in the USA, I kinda Doubt That but who know anymore. Anyway here are a couple of Pics & a Short Walk Around Video of her. Gotta Hunt Down a Manual Now If I can. I wondered... Is there a JD Model Lawn Tractor that was identical and would have basically the same manual?

YouTube - $100 Scotts / John Deere Lawn Tractor

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_2271.jpg
  • 100_2270.jpg

#5 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 - 06:11 AM

The Scotts by John Deere are similar to the Sabre line, that was also made by John Deere. They were made in the John Deere plant in Tennessee. The garden tractors borrow some of the design from the older GT2XX series (i.e. GT262, etc). Some of the STX series design made it's way onto the Scotts and Sabre line of lawn tractors. Some of the design of the Scotts and Sabres ended up on the L-series, which is also made in the Tennessee plant. All other John Deere lawn and garden tractors are built in Horicon, Wisconsin in the old Van Brundt location.

Another thing that some may find interesting is that some of the Honda lawn tractors sold back in the 1990s had frames and sheet metal from the John Deere LX1XX series.

John Deere rebadged some of their equipment, i.e. chain saws, lawn mowers from the '70s (Lawn-Boy), etc., but their lawn and garden tractors are ALL made by John Deere. You will see myths and rumors and innuendo that MTD made the L-series, but they're not true. John Deere made all their lawn and garden tractors since 1963.
  • DanO said thank you

#6 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 - 06:15 AM

Thanks TMO, I Never Knew that John Deere Made Equipment for other Companies, very interesting GT Trivia & Good to know.
After seeing your post, I Did some looking & found This JD Saber 17 / 42
looks like the Exact tractor as my Scotts 17/42 ...Have to check the numbers on mine & this one but they sure appear to be from the same Cookie Cutter!

Attached Thumbnails

• sabre17-42.jpg

Edited by DanO, March 16, 2011 - 06:59 AM.

#7 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 - 07:32 AM

I think Deere sold only the frames and some of the sheet metal to Honda - who did the rest.

The earlier Scotts were made by Murray, though I'm not sure which years and at what point Scotts turned to Deere to make them. The
Sabres were made so Deere could have an entry level tractor in the market. The STXs were built before that to do the same thing - provide Deere with an entry level machine. Starting in 2002, Deere stopped making the Scotts and Sabres and started producing the L-Series - to again have an entry level machine in the market. Only this time Deere teamed up with the box stores, I think it was Home Depot first then Lowes, to help sell them. To ensure that Deere could sell them at their dealerships, Deere put in a stipulation in their deals with HD and Lowes that neither could undersell Deere's dealers nor could the box stores offer discounts on them. The same price had to be given at the box stores as the dealers. The only discount that the box stores could offer were on returns. So, if a Lowes or a HD salesman tries to tell you that their JDs are on sell, they're lying.

#8 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 - 07:44 AM

Is It Safe to assume...( I wondered about this question regarding many products / companies) that if the John Deere Name and Logo are on the Machine that John Deere Did IN FACT build it and not sub it out or just give permission to use their name & logo on the item as a selling point? ( Selling the Lable) That's certainly not true about other items I know, like toys, clothing etc., with the JD logo & name on them but as far as actual equipment goes, i would think that it was true. It's hard to sort out the TRUTH from so many contradicting internet postings & sites.

#9 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 - 08:03 AM

My Kmart branded weed wacker even has the John Deere name on the serial plate. I think I'll paint it green!

#10 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 - 10:49 AM

Is It Safe to assume...( I wondered about this question regarding many products / companies) that if the John Deere Name and Logo are on the Machine that John Deere Did IN FACT build it and not sub it out or just give permission to use their name & logo on the item as a selling point? ( Selling the Lable) That's certainly not true about other items I know, like toys, clothing etc., with the JD logo & name on them but as far as actual equipment goes, i would think that it was true. It's hard to sort out the TRUTH from so many contradicting internet postings & sites.

As I said, John Deere makes it's lawn and garden tractors, and they currently make their push mowers. But, in the past, they put their name on other products, like push mowers, bicycles, etc. They currently put their name on trimmers, chain saws, power tools, etc. that are made by other companies. If Deere puts their label on a product that they do not make, they have strict specifications that have to be met by the manufacturer. If the manufacturer can not meet Deere's specs or quality, Deere usually doesn't keep their name on the product for long. For instance, bicycles that Deere put their names on in the 1970s during the bicycle craze were made by Huffy. Quality was okay, but not fantastic. When Huffy started building Deere's bikes in China and quality suffered, Deere just got out of the bicycle business. You can still find used John Deere bicycles today, but they're getting rare.

#11 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 - 02:31 PM

Congrats on the $100.00 Deere. I liked what you said at the end of the video about how things balance out. Very true!:thumbs:

#12 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted March 17, 2011 - 06:59 PM

Congrats on the $100.00 Deere. I liked what you said at the end of the video about how things balance out. Very true!:thumbs:

Yes, But after getting a Great Deal on one for $100 like this You Sure Hate to Spend any more on the next one!!!!!!!!!!

"Must Find Balance Daniel-Son"

#13 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted March 27, 2011 - 07:08 AM

The funny part to me is, that 17/42 you got is the same (? about) as the JD 115 I just sold for $1000. Amazing what a difference color makes.

#14 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted March 27, 2011 - 09:59 AM

The funny part to me is, that 17/42 you got is the same (? about) as the JD 115 I just sold for $1000. Amazing what a difference color makes.

If you'll read my posts in this thread, you will see that the L-Series JDs were derived from the Scotts and Sabre tractors. Basically same design, built in the same JD plant in Tennessee. For the lawn tractors, there's a lot of the old STX John Deeres in there.