58 replies to this topic

#1 dzignr_tastz OFFLINE  

dzignr_tastz
  • Member No: 68795
  • 9 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 08:59 PM

Hey all. First post.
Recently bought my very first tractor, a '74 Ecomomy 2414 with a manual lift and (supposedly factory, I assumed) 3 pt hitch, but practically all the pics I've seen of original 3 pts on the PK's have the adjustable knob linkages connecting to the lower arms (as seen in the 3rd pic in the OP) while mine doesn't. I've attached a pic of mine for reference.
image.jpg

So did ALL factory 3 pt have these adjustable links in addition to the adjustable top link, or was it maybe just on the hydraulic lifts or something? Either way, I'm certain I don't have them and was thinking they would be a nice addition (for angle adjustment, I assume?) if I can find a set with bar somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
  • MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and TrevoNiz have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,467 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 08:17 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! We moved your post into it's own thread. Here's one of the pics you referenced originally

post-8570-0-42616700-1354021432.jpg

I may have some files I can upload to shed some light on this.

Edited by KennyP, March 26, 2015 - 08:19 AM.

• Alc, Sawdust and dzignr_tastz have said thanks

#3 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,447 Thanks
  • 3,993 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 08:56 AM

yep, welcome to GTT!

• dzignr_tastz said thank you

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 09:21 AM

That's pretty much the way they were before they improved them and put the adjustment knobs on them.  I had one like that and it is indeed factory with the possible exception of the vertical bar on the right hand side of the picture.  Looks like someone replaced the factory leg with a longer one for some reason.  These hitches work well, just lack adjustment.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard.  For your first tractor, you sure picked a good one!  You'll be surprised as to what it can do,

Edited by David Brown, March 26, 2015 - 09:22 AM.

• Alc and dzignr_tastz have said thanks

#5 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 09:29 AM

Welcome aboard.

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 09:41 AM

Welcome to GTtalk, you can fabricate your own adjustments pretty easily. Great tractor for your first one for sure.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,467 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 09:48 AM

From what I can gather looking through manuals, sometime after 1975 is when they added the adjustable links.

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 10:55 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !   If your not trying to keep it factory looking maybe your could just make one side adjustable using ones like some of the Sears 3 points had ?

#9 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,009 Thanks
  • 836 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 01:22 PM

Hi welcome to the group, nice tractor you have, you could also check e bay an adjustable one or a set may come up for sale. Enjoy your tractor.

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 03:50 PM

Manual 3pt is little diff. Most had just a lift bar when not hydraulic. I've made those by cutting rect. tubing.of heavy weight and cutting off 1 small end, then welding nut on it. You can buy the ball sockets from farm catalogs, carefully weld on pivot studs and nut to it for threaded rod. Think I used 5/8 rod.

Back on puter here, easier to post than phone. Forgot you would have to make those flat-iron metals that are bent out and formed to also hold the pivot balls. I've tried to make those before, had hard time getting angles bent to come out right, but got it finally. I once made a whole hitch see, but had another one to use for copys of the parts, which made it easier. I had pix at one time, not sure I could find on here or not now.

Edited by glgrumpy, March 26, 2015 - 06:10 PM.

• Alc, KennyP and dzignr_tastz have said thanks

#11 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,203 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 05:13 PM

:welcometogttalk:

#12 dzignr_tastz OFFLINE  

dzignr_tastz
  • Member No: 68795
  • 9 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for all the warm welcomes, the clarification, and for making my very own thread. I just didn't want to clutter up the board, so figured with it being a 3 pt question, the information might have been useful in the other thread if someone came across it by Google search like I did. Anyway - I'll try to make good further use of this one.

It looks like the longer bar on the right side of the hitch may have been custom added for some sort of adjustability, for if you look closely, it has several different holes along the length of it so the pin can be used to make it longer or shorter on that side. Only allows for angle in one direction, but I guess I could always swap sides on them if I need to angle it the other way. The knobs would just be a convenience thing. I have to find a new adjutable top link anyay as the threaded rod closest to the axle is bent, as well as an assist spring for the manual life handle that broke on one end and is just hanging on the other, so maybe I'll keep my eye out for a set of the knobs as well.

Overall, though, I'm relatively happy with the puchase despite a few kinks needing to be ironed out. I had been looking for the past several weeks for some sort of afforable tractor to do a few things around the yard, and while I was considering a smaller Yanmar, when I ran across these 'antiques' they really caugt my eye, I liked the simplicity of them, and, being a Jeep guy, also liked the idea of them being a small tank. This particular one was bought new by a fellow, purchased by his friend after his passing, handed down to his son after his passing, and after little use by him (as he had another tractor), sat for 2 years (garaged) before he decided to sell it. It needed a battery, after which it turned right over, and very well may need the carb cleaned after sitting, but should run with minimal effort and cranked (but idled down and died) with a little starter fluid in the carb. Other than that, it's all original, and seems to be in relatively good shape given some I've seen locally for greater asking prices.

While I do plan to use it for some diffent projects initially (otherwise, what's the point?), I'm also considering it being an ongoing weekend project. At the very least, I'd like to add a second tranny, as I hope to pick up a tiller... be it used factory or a new Mission one, possibly a hydraulic system for the lift, a FEL if I can find one, and slowly restore it as I go along. We'll see how it all pans out.

In the meantime, here's a couple more pics of the whole thing, and I look forward to learning (and eventually being able to contribute) all I can about these "Dandy" machines! ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by dzignr_tastz, March 27, 2015 - 02:13 PM.

• KennyP and MNGB have said thanks

#13 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,009 Thanks
  • 836 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 07:43 PM

Hi I understand your wanting to find the screw type adjustable lift links, originally many tractors (my Fords) only had an adjust link on the RH side if it will adjust far enough that is all that is needed you can get tilt by going way down or moving up. Thanks for posting the pics and the history of your tractor looks like a good one.

Edited by MNGB, March 26, 2015 - 07:44 PM.

#14 greenb69 ONLINE  

greenb69
  • Member No: 65681
  • 268 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 05:57 PM

Welcome to the site. Lots of good people on here and excellent information. I purchased a 1980 1612 this past December and they are impressive. I have the hydraulics and the single tranny but so far it is doing a great job. I have a 5 foot front blade, 48 inch mower deck and a 48 inch box blade for mine so far. These are pretty strong little machines and I am sure you will enjoy seeing what all you can do with yours.
  • MNGB and dzignr_tastz have said thanks

#15 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 10:13 AM

Put hydraulics on it. Not hard to do, lots of stuff on eBay for these.

Changed the title also, is it  right?