• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 11:24 AM

^^^^ No reason not to as far as I can see. If you can be cremated and buried in a hand made urn or box, why not a tool box? 

• Buddy, propane1 and richwoodrocket have said thanks

#17 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 05:09 PM

I've worried that if I passed too young, would my wife keep them for my son. If I'm older I know he will keep and use them. As for extra sets, I try to only keep what i need. I pass extras as given to me to younger kids needing a start.

• boyscout862 and Buddy have said thanks

#18 Kurtee ONLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 05:35 PM

I hadn't thought of my tools so this is an interesting post. I have thought of my guns and tractors and what to do. One post on another forum stated that the heirs will do whatever they want when you are gone (this I now understand as we settled my mothers estate last year) so dispose of them while you are still able, especially the ones you have special wishes for. I have an odd collection of valuable stuff so I need to bear this in mind. This makes me think of one time my wife was on me for buying something she figured I didn't need. I told her it was more for her to sell after I was gone, end of that conversation, and not brought up again.

Edited by Kurtee, March 26, 2015 - 05:37 PM.

• boyscout862, oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#19 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 06:49 PM

What to do???  First, many tools I have in specialty line are Outdated!  Don't work on the new cars, and ones that do are mostly junked or un-wanted now.  Regualer handtools and cabs cab be sold, after wife keeps a few for her use if any. Son has no mechanical interest, he does computers. Daughter can't run a screwdriver and looses all they have been given. Son in law is mechanic, not sure he will be around that long (oops!).   Wife just says she is calling scrap man when I go....Hmm.  If I would get sick, would try to sell all my stuff myself, so I knew right parts and items went with the parted tractors I have. I've been selling some last couple years (getting out, you know) and smaller collection. I told wife to call or post on sites for MM tractor and GT guys to come look and help her gather right stuff, IF I'm unable or gone. She won't.  Think big rummage sale would be done here, maybe epay or what-ever the wife wants to deal with. I have few old family items to wish to have passed on, just normal wrench stuff.

Now that I think about it, I'ld be Dead, and wouldn't have a care anymore........subject closed! :( :deadhorse:

• boyscout862, oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#20 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,751 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 07:02 PM

I have had many friends that were WWII vets. They had some very valuable trophies including samuri swords. When they died, several wives just threw the junk out. In one case, He was offered $5000 for the sword in 1984. Hopefully someone fished it out of the trash. No matter what you write down or tell them, they are going to do what they want. Good Luck, Rick
  • oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and Buddy have said thanks

#21 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 971 Thanks
  • 586 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 10:17 PM

My first Suburban I bought from a friend of mine who had a bachelor uncle pass and he was the sole heir. He was a country small engine repair guy. So you know that meant barns full of stuff. He took two,years cleaning up and selling off little by little. I spent a day with him going through things. It was a very humbling experience. You are basically going through a man's life at that point. I told my friend to let me know if he needed more help. Several months later he asked me if I was interested in buying one of the mowers that was left. At that time I had heard about Suburbans and sort of knew people used them for pulling tractors. He gave me a number and I said yes. Later after doing some research I found out it was a really low price. I've felt bad about that ever since. I've never known if I should go give him more money. With that in mind, I never plan to sell that particular tractor.

My first real garden tractor, a sixty something Simplicity Landlord that I mow with, was given to me by a close friend as a true gesture of kindness. It was semi-restored by his father who has since passed and my friend also passed last Fathers Day. Those two pieces will never be sold as long as I am lucid. The rest my boys can do with as they see fit. See previous post about the old guy that didn't throw anything away......

I also have a worn out 8N steering wheel that once was attached to the 1949 tractor that my grandfather and then one of my uncles owned that now belongs to me. That wheel now hangs on a twelve penny nail in my garage and I wonder about the stories that went with the hands that steered it. I used to steer it as a young boy for my uncle. Beside the steering wheel is the dasher from my grandmothers butter churn. The churn is long gone and the shaft of the dasher rod is worn thin. I wonder how many times she worked it making butter for my grandfather, my dad and my uncles. It's junk to any other eyes but they are important to me. Hopefully if I impress the history of these to my boys they will become important to them. Otherwise you may see them in a Cracker Barrel one day.

Funny how the small things become important to us and the big things don't get a second glance.
  • boyscout862, oldedeeres and Buddy have said thanks

#22 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,230 Thanks
  • 5,071 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 10:47 AM

My wife gets mad at me when she thinks of these hypothetical questions.  "what do you want me to do when you die?"  Which since I am 31 and she is 26, leads me to question her motives(just kidding) 

My response is I don't really care what you do with any of my stuff because I'll be dead.  Sell what you can sell and garbage dump the rest.  She gets upset with me about that response.  But really when I'm gone I have no need for my earthly possessions, and they don't matter to me once I pass on. 

• TomLGT195 and Buddy have said thanks

#23 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,751 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 06:29 PM

My wife gets mad at me when she thinks of these hypothetical questions.  "what do you want me to do when you die?"  Which since I am 31 and she is 26, leads me to question her motives(just kidding) 

My response is I don't really care what you do with any of my stuff because I'll be dead.  Sell what you can sell and garbage dump the rest.  She gets upset with me about that response.  But really when I'm gone I have no need for my earthly possessions, and they don't matter to me once I pass on. 

Yeah, but she and the kids may really need the proceeds from selling some of the "treasures". Unless you have several million dollars worth of life insurance, you should take her question more seriously. It may be inpart because of your travelling and her having to deal with so much by herself. Good Luck, Rick

• Buddy said thank you

#24 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,230 Thanks
  • 5,071 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 07:10 PM

Yeah, but she and the kids may really need the proceeds from selling some of the "treasures". Unless you have several million dollars worth of life insurance, you should take her question more seriously. It may be inpart because of your travelling and her having to deal with so much by herself. Good Luck, Rick

She gets upset because I tell her to sell it. She says I don't want to sell your stuff I want to keep it.

But yes I agree she will need to sell my collections and tools to help pay things off. My life insurance isn't nearly enough.
  • boyscout862 and Buddy have said thanks