Personal Tools

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Buddy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45481
  • 147 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 07:40 PM

I know that this topic wont matter to some but, have you ever wondered what was going to happen to your tools when you pass on ? I do, I think about it some.. I had a running account with Snap-on tool company from 1972 till 2012 during my working years. And in my life time, I have worked with some good mechanics and have  known quite a few more. I have also collected or bought (not that I need them ) bunches of tools from the families of three good friends which all were mechanics themselves  that have now passed on . Now, that I am starting to get some years on myself, I find myself thinking about this more and more. I do have a son but, he has absolutely no interest in my tools so, that lets him out. Money is not the issue, so, I really don't want to sell . I would rather give them to someone or leave them to someone when my time comes who will appreciate, and use them as I have all my life. Any thoughts here ?  

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, Bruce Dorsi and 10 others have said thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 07:57 PM

I had gathered a lot of HVAC tools while I was working for my dad and after. Once I got out of it in 2009 I kept a few tools meters and such and I gave the rest away to a young guy who was just starting out. I know where all of my other tools will go when I'm gone, I will give them to my sons and grand kids, hopefully the granddaughters will like to use tools also. Good that you feel that way I wish more people would do that.  Thanks.                                                  Roger.

• Alc, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 6 others have said thanks

#3 propane1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,891 Thanks
  • 3,120 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 08:31 PM

Sad to say, but when your gone , your son may have more of an interest than you think. I think about the same thing at times. I know my son will be getting mine and my fathers. But what makes me wonder is, where is he going to put all this stuff. I not only have tools , but all the garden tractors and attachments, plus my fathers snowblower, torches and other stuff. Glad it's him going to have to look after the stuff, it was hard enough when dad passed as to do what with all the stuff. Some of us can throw it out and some of can't. I am one of the can'ts. Noel
  • Alc, hamman, tinbender7 and 3 others have said thanks

#4 cootertom OFFLINE  

• Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 717 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 08:49 PM

There will be one heck of a yard sale here. Tools, CoPar Panzers, John Deere's, plows, disk, tillers and so on. House full of old pottery, Roseville pottery, carnival glass, depression pitchers and matching glasses and the list goes on. Barn full and 4 storage buildings full. Make sure you come cause I'm sure it will be cheap.

• hamman, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61995
  • 887 Thanks
  • 545 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 09:39 PM

It's morbid, but now when I buy a new tool or tractor or fishing rod or gun, I think it's something else for the boys to sell at the auction when I'm gone. Hopefully not. All three do like to hunt and fish. Two of them have an interest in mechanical things, one more than the other. Time will tell. If they grow into good godly men, pick good women and become good husbands and fathers, then I've done my job and if they want my tools and other things great. If not that's ok, too and everyone can stand around on auction day and think to themselves 'did that old guy ever throw anything away?' LOL
  • Gtractor, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 3 others have said thanks

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 09:51 PM

I think about it.  Some of my heirloom tools were from my great-grandfather's toolbox.  Those are very valuable to me and they had better stay in the family... and that is a threat, too, in case someone comes along and reads this. 

Ben W.

• hamman, boyscout862, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#7 M.Cain OFFLINE  

• Member No: 68107
  • 185 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 10:16 PM

I agree with you 100%. I kind of hold my tools dear also one thing I learned early from dad was to wipe them off and to put them up when you finished with the job.

Good Luck and I hope you find a good place for them when its time.

• hamman, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#8 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,540 Thanks
  • 3,076 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 12:06 AM

I think about this too. I have my fathers tools and all that My Olde Deere and I have collected as well as his fathers stuff. As soon as the weather cooperates I'll be out in the shop sorting things and putting things in order again. That has always been my job anyway, just going to be bitter sweet this year. I know our sons will be using the tools when I am gone, they both are mechanically inclined and love machinery.

For someone who has no one to pass them on to, I would imagine the Salvation Army could pass them on to someone who needs them and would appreciate the help.

• boyscout862 and Buddy have said thanks

#9 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,053 Thanks
  • 2,093 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 02:10 AM

None of my relatives have any interest in my woodworking, carpentry, mechanic's tools, or equipment.  .....I've been a tool junkie for over 50 years, so I've accumulated quite a few hand, power, and machine tools. :thumbs:

I have often thought about the future of my tools, and who I could give them to that would appreciate them.  .....Then I realize that as long as I am alive and able to use them, I could never part with them. :(

If I become too feeble-minded to use the tools, I probably would not realize if I had them or not, or of their outcome. :wallbanging:  

OK - now I'm depressed!   :beer:  

• Bolens 1000, Alc, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#10 greenb69 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 65681
  • 255 Thanks
  • 203 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 05:18 AM

This is a great post and as all of you I have tools that were grandfather's and dad's. I had motor auto guide books back to the very first issue and gave them to a young mechanic. The tools I hesitate to part with because so many young people don't value things much and would sell them off at the first chance. I have been staying in touch with the local auto tech school teacher. The right person will come along when the time is right.
  • Alc, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 06:21 AM

Now that I am well into my 50s this is something that comes to mind quite often. I imagine they will get left to family or friends. I can't see ever wanting to part with al the hand tools as long as I am able to use them. Power tools, especially large ones might have to go if we moved out of the house into something smaller.

• boyscout862, oldedeeres, Buddy and 1 other said thanks

#12 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,138 Thanks
  • 2,270 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 06:57 AM

I can't really say that a I care too much what happens to my stuff when I'm gone.  I don't have all that much in the way of good tools but I do have some.  I have two girls so unless they drag someone home who knows which end of the screw driver to use, I guess they will just sell them.  The only thing near and dear to me that I would like to see stay in the family is my Pond tractor since my dad bought it new.  My son-in-law has no real interest in things like that and the younger one isn't done dragging candidates home yet so I have no idea what I'll end up with there.  None of my siblings have interest in it and they are all older than I am anyway.  Nobody has even learned how to crank it to get it started.  I just have to trust that the family will do the right thing with it when I'm gone.  As for the rest of the tractors, sell, sell, sell.  If I receive a bad diagnosis someday, I'll take care of the selling part so they don't have to clean up my mess.  I do not want to leave my kids the mess that we were left by her dad.

• Alc, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#13 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,516 Thanks
  • 7,379 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 07:35 AM

David Brown I agree with getting rid of much of the unneeded stuff that has no sentimental value. I have a son who is mildly interested in working on cars and tractors. I have seven large top boxes full of tools and another 4 roller cabinets full. I have multiples of most tools( 15 generators, 2 valve grinders, 5 metal lathes, 2 drill presses, 2 radial arm saws, 3 table saws(2 sentimental), and much more than I can think of) and should get rid of the duplicates.

I have given tools and machines to people in the past and found that most people thought that they were worth nothing because I gave them to them. It really pissed me off when something good was just thrown out. I'll sell off my surplus in the future. I want to leave my son the house and the means to take care of it. That means a full set of all types of tools(I sold him them a few years ago) and atleast 5 tractors for the yard with lots of attachments. With that financial cushion, his life should be easier than mine. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, March 26, 2015 - 07:38 AM.

• oldedeeres, TomLGT195, Buddy and 1 other said thanks

#14 Jazz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62028
  • 1,354 Thanks
  • 889 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 09:31 AM

If I can't take 'em with me I'm not going!

• Alc, KennyP, oldedeeres and 4 others have said thanks

#15 Canawler ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,880 Thanks
  • 1,744 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 10:38 AM

You know... I've heard of people being buried in their cars or with their Harleys.  I wonder if anyone's been buried with their toolbox?

• Alc, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks