10 replies to this topic

#1 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 09:41 AM

Went and picked up a Cub Cadet 1018 the other day. Complaining about oil coming out the fuel pump vent. (He) had already replaced the fuel pump. I checked the vent hose and the pump hose no problems noted. Noticed on a slight downward incline the engine smokes really bad. Pulled dip-stick and this engine huffs like a freight train and blows oil out of the dip-stick tube. Engine shows 166 hours on clock. Suggestions?

• CharlesDes said thank you

#2 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • Member No: 57994
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 09:58 AM

Have you done a compression check? Shouldn't be with those hours but my initial thought based on that would be an issue with the rings allowing a lot of blow-by.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 10:22 AM

Carbon buildup will cause blowby as well but it's usually not an issue with an engine with low hours. It might be worth pulling the head for a look see, especially if the compression test is low.

• Alc said thank you

#4 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 11:12 AM

Check to see if the crankcase vent is venting. I had one that was left with the air cleaner off and the mud wasps got in the vent tube. When it was running, it puked oil out between the block and end cover. That was a Wisconsin but I'm sure the Kohler could do the same thing.

• Alc said thank you

#5 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 11:38 AM

18hp OHV Briggs Intek or Vanguard single cylinder?

If it's smoking bad it either has a blown head gasket or Gas in the Oil.Or Both.

Never pull the dipstick out of a Vertical engine and start it or crank it over.You'll get covered in oil.The oil fills the bottom of the tube on these.When you crank it over the Piston creates pressure in the block and blows the oil out all over the place.

Try it with a Push mower it will do the exact same thing.

Head gaskets are $9-$15 and pretty easy to change.Don't forget to set the valve clearances after you install a new gasket.

Set both valves to .005

Briggs manual says Intake 0.004 – 0.006 in. exhaust 0.004 – 0.006 in.

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 01:00 PM

Have you done a compression check? Shouldn't be with those hours but my initial thought based on that would be an issue with the rings allowing a lot of blow-by.

That's what I thought too. I'll check compression tomorrow and see what it is. What should it be? 18.5 hp single cylinder Briggs. It runs really well.

Edited by crittersf1, March 25, 2015 - 01:00 PM.

#7 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 08:28 PM

Could be a broken ring maybe.  We had a farm tractor once that had excess blowby.  Good mechanic told us pull the dipstick and if it pushes oil out you got broken rings.  Low and behold that was the problem and new rings fixed the problem.

#8 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • Member No: 57994
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 10:20 AM

Flat head (L-head) Briggs have a compression ratio of 6 to 1. Multiply that by atmospheric pressure (14.7 psi) should theoretically be about 90 psi.

OHV engines are 8.5 to 1 compression ratio so about 125 psi.

Disclaimer: This is obviously a very basic way of looking at it and there are a lot of variables such as valve overlap/timing, pressure at elevation, etc. and is a theoretical number at 100% efficiency but it should give you a base number to get in the ballpark.

If you get a compression number and you aren't sure just post the results

#9 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 07:28 AM

Did a leak down test. Pulled head. Sure enough, blown head gasket. Waiting on parts.

• EricR said thank you

#10 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted March 31, 2015 - 07:20 AM

Went and picked up a Cub Cadet 1018 the other day. Complaining about oil coming out the fuel pump vent. (He) had already replaced the fuel pump. I checked the vent hose and the pump hose no problems noted. Noticed on a slight downward incline the engine smokes really bad. Pulled dip-stick and this engine huffs like a freight train and blows oil out of the dip-stick tube. Engine shows 166 hours on clock. Suggestions?

1018 or 1810?....hmmm can we see a pic of it?

#11 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted March 31, 2015 - 02:54 PM

1018 or 1810?....hmmm can we see a pic of it?

1810's didn't have an hour meter did they?  I bet he has a 1018.  That would be a lawn tractor about ten years old.