• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 rugbywarrior89 OFFLINE  

rugbywarrior89
  • Member No: 68779
  • 33 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 09:27 AM

All my cables came in and I made the first cut last night.  Man this thing is like Freak the Mighty!  Those wheel weights and tire chains really work (although my yard suffered a bit).  That little mower deck cut beautiful.  The deck itself was a little stiff with old age but WD fixed that right up.  I definately put it through it's paces cutting thorugh a bunch of overgrown brush on the property and at one point sunk it down to the axel.  Fortunately it's so light, I just jump of the back and lifted it up.  My problem now is that I'm intermittenly running out of gas to the carbs.  I originally thought there was something wrong with the carbs but then I noticed the gas was gone out of my fuel filter (i'm glad I bought a clear one).  I tinkered with it for a while then all the sudden gas started flowing again so I drove it for about 10 minutes and it did it again.  I'm going to clean out the gas tank and make sure grit isn't blocking the flow.  I decided against a choke cable for now since I can easily reach the carb control on the engine from my seat. 

My winter project will be tearing it all down and giving her a new paint job.  Luckily this sight has all the info I need to color match.  Thanks a bunch.

Thanks for all the help getting this thing started.  I know I still haven't posted pics but I will eventually, I promise.

#17 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 09:30 AM

Glad to hear you were able to use it!

Make sure the filter is for a gravity fed system, there are different styles of filters for Gravity fed and fuel pump fed systems, sounds like you may have one for a fuel pump.

If you need help choosing one let me know, I have a bunch here.

#18 rugbywarrior89 OFFLINE  

rugbywarrior89
  • 33 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 09:58 AM

Here is the one I got and it says its for gravity: http://www.lowes.com...lter&facetInfo=

I do have it laying on it's side but that shouldn't be an issue since the gas tank sits higher than carbs and filter and when it's flowing does fill the filter completely.  I think there is something blocking the flow in the gas tank itself.  The gas cap vents fine so i know it's not that.  The valve on the gas tank is frozen open but there is an aftermarket petcock in the fuel line.  I wonder if I should remove the original valve and just put a hose barb on it instead.

#19 rugbywarrior89 OFFLINE  

rugbywarrior89
  • 33 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 10:02 AM

One other thing, The tiny spring that runs along the trottle link, how important is that?  Mine broke in half but the engine seems to run fine.  Does that just act to make the engine run a bit smoother?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 813, wiring, how-to