18 replies to this topic

#1 rugbywarrior89 OFFLINE  

rugbywarrior89
  • Member No: 68779
  • 33 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 08:35 AM

Hi all,

Ran across this site and you all look to be very helpful.  Many years ago, my dad and I got a 72' Husky 813 with mower deck, wheel weights, wheel chains, and snow blower.  At one point, we were going to enter in a tractor pull so we swapped the 8HP engine with a Briggs and Stratton 12.5 HP.  We got it bolted on then never finished the project.  Now I've grown up, bought a house, and have a yard to mow.  My dad gave me this tractor.  It's almost ready to start except that non of the wiring is hooked up.  The drive belt is on but it still need a PTO belt and the deck belts don't look in very good condition (original?).  Its obvious that somebody along the way did some rewiring of their own and I'm not sure how correct it is.

First off, the B&S engine has two stator wires and one black wire coming out of the side of the engine.  The engine manual says that one stator wire goes to battry and the other goes to headlights but I don't think thats how the 813 was set up.  What do I do here? 

I'm also a little confused on the dash controls.  The ignition switch is "off", "on", and "start" but their is also a momentary push button switch to the right of the ignition.  The ignition switch itself should be responsible for both starting and killing the engine so what is the momentary switch for?  Did somebody change the ignition switch at some point? I also think the momentary switch was wired to jump the solenoid.  I wonder if the PO changed the ignition switch, the solenoid went bad, so he used the spare momentary switch to start the tractor.

Does anybody happen to have a wiring diagram for this tractor or one of it's siblings.  I'm sure they are all pretty similar.

I will post pics later.  I'm at work right now.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 08:41 AM

Welcome , You cam to the right place for Bolens info!

To start you off here's a partslist for your machine

http://gardentractor...01-thru-813-03/

• rugbywarrior89 said thank you

#3 rugbywarrior89 OFFLINE  

rugbywarrior89
  • 33 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 08:46 AM

Figures....  I just bought the hard copy manual on ebay.  I should have known better. :D

#4 Deerlope OFFLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 98
  • 392 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 08:54 AM

Figures....  I just bought the hard copy manual on ebay.  I should have known better. :D

Only go to ebay if you can not find it here. Whether it be parts or manuals. There are a few members here that sell parts and are very reasonable to. You stick around here for a few and you will get to know who they are.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 09:00 AM

:ditto:

Before you buy a manual always check here!

Between all the Bolens guys here we have just about every manual for all models of Tractors and are happy to upload them!

I'll dig around and see if I can pull my owners manual for you.

#6 rugbywarrior89 OFFLINE  

rugbywarrior89
  • 33 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 09:10 AM

According to that parts list you gave me, there is not supposed to be a momentary switch on the tractor at all.  Somebody must have added that later, presumably to bypass the starter solenoid.  The weird part is they only used 12 or 14 gauge wire to jump it.  That should have been the same thickness as the battery wire.  I'm not sure how he didn't fry the wire or the switch.

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 10:02 AM

Ok, I found the Owners manual for the G8 and have uploaded it here, the wiring diagram is there as well.

http://gardentractor...-owners-manual/

Also comes with instructions for the 32'' Deck

#8 rugbywarrior89 OFFLINE  

rugbywarrior89
  • 33 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 12:55 PM

I assume the starter interlock switch on the wiring diagram is a safety switch for the seat?  That was obviously bypassed and tossed although I think I would like to replace it if I can.  Can I replace it in kind or should I just get a generic aftermarket?  I'm also missing a seat but I can find one of those easy enough.

Edit:  Nevermind, I did some more investigating and Thats not what I thought it was.  We all know what happens when we assume...

Although I still wouldn't mind getting a pressure switch for the seat.  I'm going to be teaching my children on this tractor so a seat switch would be great. 

Edited by rugbywarrior89, March 25, 2015 - 01:17 PM.

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 01:48 PM

I believe the 1725550 switch was for the clutch petal.

#10 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 03:08 PM

Welcome glad to see someone else from Ohio here. I agree it is a good ideal to have the switches working when you are teaching a young one how to use it. I think Brian is right about the 1725550 switch being for the clutch. There was 3 different safety switches for the 813 from serial number 0700101 and up seat, clutch and pto. There was only 1 for the serial numbers below 07. Also there was 2 different ignition switches used. If you need one of the switches I carry them all here just send me a pm

#11 rugbywarrior89 OFFLINE  

rugbywarrior89
  • 33 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 10:23 AM

The parts lists differentiate between 813-01 and 813-03.  What is the difference?  Are these parts interchangeable?  How can I tell which model I have?

I got a bunch of parts in.  I cleaned the carbs, installed the air filter, got a new battery and cable.

I need to finish installing my driveshaft pulley.  I got a new keyway and driveshaft end bolt.  A few questions:  Do I need to put the keyway on the shaft before I put the pulley on or do I install the pulley then tap the keyway into the hole?  Also, should I use the 3/4" bolt or 1" bolt?  Should I use locktite on the bolt and a lock washer or just one of those?  The shaft did not come with the bolt in it so I'm not sure what the original setup was.

I also found the Letter codes for my ignition so I should be okay there and it will require changing some of the old wiring back to original.  I have a bad feeling my solenoid is going to be bad once I try and start it.

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 03:45 PM

The ID tag on this tractor is behind the dash panel near the choke control.

The owners manual I uploaded shows you exactly where it is, it will be 813-XX The final two digits are the different series.

-----------------------------

Added 4:47PM

The key should always be put on first and the pulley pressed or tapped on to it.

The parts list mentions the correct size  bolts to use

#13 rugbywarrior89 OFFLINE  

rugbywarrior89
  • 33 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 07:14 AM

Thanks for the info.

The parts list mentions the correct size  bolts to use

Not on mine.  I swapped out  the engine.  The parts list from briggs & stratton 12.5 hp doesn't include the shaft bolt in their diagram for some reason.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#14 rugbywarrior89 OFFLINE  

rugbywarrior89
  • 33 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 12:08 PM

Got her started this morning and everything works like a champ.  The belts fit perfectly and the carbs only needed a tiny mix adjustment. I was a little concerned about my brake pedal being in the way of my carbs and exhaust but a little bit of map gas at the bend of the brake bar and I was able to bend it out of the way juuuuust enough.  My brake was binding up inderneath the frame and that turned out to just be an WD-40 issue.  I'm still waiting for my throttle cable and generator wire to come in.  It turns out that I will also need a choke cable as the carbs on the new engine have a butterfly for both the throttle and choke.  I will just install that in the hole that was made for the momentary switch.  Speaking of which, both the ignition switch and the solenoid work.  I don't know what the point of that momentary push button was for. Oh well, not an issue any more.

My latest issue is that I found out this morning that my hood is in the way of my air filter.  I REALLY don't want to cut the hood out around the air filter.  I think I've decided that I'm going to modify a 2x4 between the hood and the hinge to lift the hood higher and clear the filter. That way I don't have to permanently modify any original equipment.  I'm going to wait until it warms up a bit before proceeding further.  Now that I know everything is working, I can relax about having it ready for the first cut.

I will post pics ASAP.

#15 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 09:07 AM