• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Afbrown OFFLINE  

Afbrown
  • Member No: 68766
  • 3 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 11:54 PM

I bought an old weedeater lawn mower with the intent to do a pulley swap, it has a 16hp opposed twin briggs and stratton motor. The motor is fine and the mower itself is what you can expect out of something of this age, the only thing that i have run into is the wiring, the ignition does not work and the wires are pretty messed up, i am tearing out all of the old wires, i want to just wire up a momentary switch to start it and maybe if someone knows how i would wire up a kill switch thatd be pretty cool to, i plan on running the momentary switch straight to the starter, will this work or are there better ideas? This will not be a functioning mower, i just am making it a toy. The pictures are kinda crap, sorry but an advice would be very much appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,788 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 05:16 AM

Welcome to GTT. The key switch may not work because a safety switch is cutting the circuit. There is probably are: PTO, Seat, and clutch Safety switches on that machine. You will need to test them and the entire circuit. You are going to save yourself time in the long run if you just fix the existing wires. The may be a wiring diagram in our Manuals Section(3 free downloads per day). Good Luck, Rick

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 05:27 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !  Are you looking for a high amperage switch like they used to mount on the floors of old cars like this  ? My one tractor from the factory uses a simple turn ON/OFF  for the ignition with a push button switch like this mounted on the dash to engage the starter

Attached Thumbnails

• mUcGiMQYEPwuo-BeBjjfAOg.jpg

• Afbrown said thank you

#4 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • Member No: 57994
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 07:35 AM

I agree that the issue is probably a safety switch. My Cub Cadet 107 is very finicky about how you push in the brake to activate the switch and get it started. The easiest way if you do re-wire would be to just get one of the heavy starter switches pictured above. Hook your positive to it and run a cable down to the starter. Run your negative battery cable as your ground. Usually grounding right to your starter mounting bolts will make the best connection and have it crank the best. Then, there should be a wire coming off the ignition coil that you can just wire a toggle switch to and then a ground wire so the toggle switch will just be an on/off for grounding the coil to turn off the tractor.

• Afbrown said thank you

#5 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,708 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 10:10 AM

Welcome to GTT.  I believe you are asking to just create a temp starting set up.  If so you will need two switches, one. a toggle switch (kill switch) and the other either a push button or momentary spring loaded to the off position switch (starter switch).  Take the starter switch and connect two wires to it then connect one wire to the starter solinoid small terminal and the other end to the + batter terminal.  Also make sure your battery is connected with the big wire to the starter as well.   Next find the kill wire (usually a black wire) coming from the coils on the engine.  Hook the toggle switch into it and then run the other side of the switch to ground.  You should be able to get the switches at any auto parts store.

If you have everything connected up correctly you should be able to hit the starter switch and the engine will turn over and start. Make sure the kill or toggle switch is open. You will still have to use the choke and / or throttle to get it started.  When you are done flip the toggle switch closed and it will kill the engine.

• Afbrown said thank you

#6 Afbrown OFFLINE  

Afbrown
  • Member No: 68766
  • 3 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 12:28 PM

Exactly what i needed thanks!
  • HDWildBill said thank you