6 replies to this topic

#1 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • Member No: 35312
  • 140 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 11:22 PM

DSCF0178

Since its a different project than the electric power steering I've got going on the same tractor, I decided to start another thread on the FEL I'm building for the GT18.  Here's a few pics of what I've got done so far. 

Went with the PF Engineering plans, got the loader subframe and towers built and mounted. 

DSCF0185

DSCF0184

And here's how I'm mounting my hydraulic pump.  It's a 4-8 GPM gear pump I got from Surplus Center.  I originally had planned to remove the PTO clutch and mount the pump up directly, unfortunately it would've stuck out the front of the grille, so I used the mule drive for the mowing deck instead.  Here's a pic of how I modified it.

DSCF0176

I made a mount for the pump, and got a 1/2" shaft pulley, had a 1/2" shaft made with an 1/8" keyway, bought a coupler for it, and a 38" A belt.

DSCF0175

DSCF0177

Here's how it came out once it's all mounted up.  I made a 5/16" x 2" long curved slot in the mule drive and a bracket off one side that rides in the slot so you can tighten the belt.

DSCF0183

DSCF0181

I've got both the left and right loader arms built and am in the process of building all my hydraulic lines out of 3/8" hydraulic tubing.  It's a slow process, a lot of bending, flaring, TIG welding the JIC ends on, a lot of trial and test fitting and tweaking so it might be awhile before I have some pics of that.

• MH81, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 5 others have said thanks

#2 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • Member No: 48125
  • 224 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 12:12 AM

Looks great! Keep us posted on your progress!

• Firemang said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 05:18 AM

Gosh you do nice work :worshippy1:  :worshippy1: :worshippy1:  :worshippy1:    3/8" tubing is pretty big , do you have and tips on working with that size ?  

• Firemang said thank you

#4 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 140 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 09:07 AM

Gosh you do nice work :worshippy1:  :worshippy1: :worshippy1:  :worshippy1:    3/8" tubing is pretty big , do you have and tips on working with that size ?  

Yeah I've got a local machine shop/fabricator that I get my metal from and use for metal brake and shearing work and the owner is loaned me a flare tool and tubing bender.  This shop does a lot of work for the local farms here in NW Oregon so they've helped me out a lot.  The 3/8" tube isn't too bad to work with, it's what PF Engineering specs in their plans too, it's just a slow process is all, you can mess up a lot of tubing @ $2 a foot if you rush it.

• Texas Deere and Horse and JDBrian have said thanks

#5 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 140 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 02:47 PM

Been awhile since I posted anything new on this thread.  I'm 95% done with the FEL.  Bucket done, everything painted, hydraulics purchased (dang hydraulics are spendy!!!) and all hooked up.  Wanted to get to putting in some hydraulic fluid and giving it a trial run this past weekend but didn't get to it.  Here's what I've got done so far though.  Sorry for the gap in the pics, don't have any of the fab portion of the boom or loader arms, old phone died where most of the pics were.  I'll post some more once I get it all the way done and am trying it out. 

IMG 0481
IMG 0482

IMG 0485

IMG 0486

IMG 0589

IMG 0590

IMG 0591

IMG 0114

IMG 0115

IMG 0116

IMG 0117

IMG 0118

• KennyP said thank you

#6 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 140 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 03:08 PM

Added some hydraulic oil yesterday and played around with the hydraulics for the first time.  Even with the counter weight the tractor bounced around a little bit and you could notice a little squat to the front tires when I lifted the bucket.  Not terrible, maybe a 1/2 inch or so but noticeable.  I'm a little worried about the strength of my front axle as I just reused the stock one and added a few plug welds to it as well as my the sidewalls of the front tires.  They look good but I might have to take them off and get some stiffer ones like tri-ribs.  On the plus side the hydraulics were very responsive and the Brand Hydraulics joystick valve works great. 

Had a little engineering snafu when I raised up the boom, the hose on the right side was a little on the short side but I didn't realize the cylinder would move as much as it did and it pulled on the hydraulic tubing at the T.  Bent it down somewhat but it's fixable.  Had a longer hose made up today and will fix it this weekend.  if anyone is planning on building a FEL I'd really take extra time when you're laying out your hydraulic lines and take into consideration how things will move in all positions.  My layout works, but it's probably not the best job I could've done if I'd maybe gone a little slower and planned it out a little better.

I was hoping to get some pics of this thing in action for you guys this weekend but Western Oregon is about to get hit with 3 major wind/rain storms between now and next week so maybe when it dries out I can get to moving some rock.

IMG 0124

IMG 0125

IMG 0126

IMG 0127

IMG 0128

• KennyP said thank you

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-