#16 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 01:44 PM

Well guys, I am certainly glad to be associated with this group of knowledgeable people. I finally felt good enough to go out and try to get the chuck spindle out. I made me a wedge from some metal I had laying around. A couple of taps by a brass hammer and out it dropped. Once that was done and I quit dancing around the garage, I brought it in and cleaned it up and found that it is exactly as you said. It is a Morse taper on the upper to a Jacobs taper to the chuck. I had thought that there was a bolt holding the chuck to the spindle by marks inside the chuck. Those marks appear to be from drill bits spinning in the chuck.After cleaning it up and degreasing the spindle I found no threads or broken bolt in it. My guess and you guys can correct me if I am wrong, that as the chuck spindle is held in the drill by the Mores taper the chuck is held by the Jacob taper both by the precision fit of the taper on both ends. I know my wedge was not the right size but it worked. Here are some pictures as I was looking at it. ( I will post these in the #2 post also)

Just after I brought it into the house

DSCF9093.JPG

Looking into the chuck face

DSCF9100.JPG

The spindle

DSCF9114.JPG

No threads in there !

DSCF9109.JPG

If I hadn't asked the question of you guys here I probably would of gone and done something stupid like tack welding the chuck to the spindle. possibly ruining both of them. Again thanks guys I really appreciate the help.

Once I get the chuck cleaned up and ready to go I am going to put it back together. One more question though, Fit both pieces back together dry correct?  I really appreciate this.                                                                                                            Roger

#17 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 06:48 PM

On your wedge you made, how thick is it when it snugged in before hitting it with the hammer? That will tell me what size bar you need!

• hamman said thank you

#18 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 11:53 AM

On your wedge you made, how thick is it when it snugged in before hitting it with the hammer? That will tell me what size bar you need!

The top of the taper is 1/4" and and the wedge I made was 1/8". I knew it was to narrow but it worked. The thickness (distance) from the spindle to the taper is about 1/2" , Now I had tried to use some thing else to drive it out so it may have been a little less before I made the wedge.   Thanks.                      Roger

• KennyP said thank you

#19 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 04:31 PM

"If I hadn't asked the question of you guys here I probably would of gone and done something stupid like tack welding the chuck to the spindle. possibly ruining both of them. Again thanks guys I really appreciate the help."

That is one of the nice things here....lots of folks have "been there done that" and can give good advise to others and make the job easier or less damaging!!

• hamman and KennyP have said thanks

#20 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 06:09 PM

The top of the taper is 1/4" and and the wedge I made was 1/8". I knew it was to narrow but it worked. The thickness (distance) from the spindle to the taper is about 1/2" , Now I had tried to use some thing else to drive it out so it may have been a little less before I made the wedge.   Thanks.                      Roger

That gives me an idea of which taper you need. I'll dig them out tomorrow and post some dimensions for you.

• hamman said thank you

#21 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted March 30, 2015 - 10:37 PM

Between the Dr. appointments today I got to the garage and reinstalled the arbor and chuck on the drill press today. I was feeling pretty good so I took a few min to look at the press a bit better. I noticed that the belt was loose the drives from the motor to the mid pulley. I adjusted it and turned it on ....... wow what a difference ! It actually looks like it is a little to fast ! LOL. I got cold and it was time to leave for the afternoon appointment so I left it and will check on it tomorrow. If you remember from another post I said that the drill press motor clicked on and off while I was trying to drill a small piece of steel when I first got it. Now I wonder if it will run better because of the belt being tight. I will try it again tomorrow. I need to get the sleeve hitch drilled for the bolts and the pin holes.      Roger

#22 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted March 30, 2015 - 10:39 PM

Set it up to run as slow as possible, at least to get started.
  • hamman said thank you