#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 08:02 PM

It's on an old Cummins / Harbor Freight floor drill press. The problem with being a shut in at this point is that I have way to much time to think of all the things I want to repair, finish, start and plan to repair, finish and start. I bought this drill press from a guy down the street and I didn't look at it all that well. Should of , could but didn't. Motor has a problem where it kicks off under a heavy load, not to much of a problem, just a 1725 rpm 1 hp 110 volt with a capacitor start. I can get one from a friend of mine in the HVAC business. Near the same mounts and such. The real problem is that the chuck is held on a tapered shaft with a small hardened bolt that has been broken. Naturally you can't get to it and it is a tiny thing. It is in awkward spot because it is on the spindle. upside down. Now I know I can get some help and flip it over to work on it but I was hoping I could get it out a little easier. I don't know which way it turns in , forward or backward ? Anyone have an experience with one like this. Any help will be appreciated. I will be working on this as soon as I get better and back out side. I need it to drill the holes in my Homelite sleeve hitch I am building.
Thanks for any help or information you guys can pass along. I always appreciate and respect it. Thanks. Roger
  • propane1 and CharlesDes have said thanks

#2 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,113 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 08:32 PM

Hope you get better soon, you have been down and out for some time now, sorry I don't much information on your drill press, but, most chucks are held in place by the morse taper. Never heard of a bolt in there too. Just a thought. I could be wrong too, Noel.
  • hamman said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 08:32 PM

I've found that soaking stuck bolts with PB Blaster for long times helps alot. It couldn't hurt and should make it easier when you try to ease it out. I soaked a stuck brake bleeder nipple for 6 months before it freed up. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman said thank you

#4 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,113 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 08:37 PM

Rick, you have a lot of patience!!!! To wait that long for something to free up. Noel
  • hamman said thank you

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 08:38 PM

My Chinese press, had taper shaft, no bolt that I know. I once used to drill too big of hole and spun it on the taper. Never wanted to stay on after that. Filing, sanding, not much worked. Finally used some Locktight, and big hammer to drive it on and held with clamp till set. Seems to be  holding for most things now. I don't use for the big bits anymore. Does have 1/2" capacity, guess that is the limit? Don't go bigger just because it fits in chuck, I guess?  What I'm saying is........fit it up, and hit with big hammer to drive home, and should be done?  If you have scored taper or chuck, then might not work.

• hamman, LilysDad and propane1 have said thanks

#6 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 08:42 PM

Is this a morse taper fitting in the spindle? If so, there are slots on the spindle that slides up and down. These slots facilitate the use of a tapered flat to remove the tapered part from the spindle. You take a tapered flat piece and insert in the slot and hit with a hammer to remove the inner tapered part. Take a look here it may help you.  http://en.wikipedia....ine_taper#Morse

• MH81, hamman and JDBrian have said thanks

#7 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 09:06 PM

No it's not a Morse taper. It's the chuck itself that fits on the spindle.  It is a slight taper and the chuck is held on with a bolt thru it where the bit chucks in. I thought about heating the spindle to see if that would help loosen the bolt. I may have to just tip it over and try the " Craftsman Bolt Extractor " that " Works every time for every broken bolt " . ya right. It is a small bolt probably 1/4" or so. I also thought of hitting a couple of wire tack welds opposite each other on top of the chuck to hold it on??? Not sure at this point but I am going to try to look at it this week as soon as I can get out without getting chilled thru.. Thanks guys. Time for bed.

Roger.

#8 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 09:31 PM

Rog, are you saying the chuck falls off because the bolt is broken? Hoping you get healed up soon!! If you feel up to it maybe some pics would help us see the problem.
Mike
  • hamman and KennyP have said thanks

#9 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 09:39 PM

the bolt up inside the chuck will have left hand threads. After you get it out, you have to open up the chuck all the all and up the key in the teeth, and strike it with a small hammer in to a more open position, this will cause it to release from the threads that hold it on the spindle. Its tricky sometimes to get them off after being there a long time.

• hamman said thank you

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 05:22 AM

Rick, you have a lot of patience!!!! To wait that long for something to free up. Noel

I had little choice. Be patient or take the brake backing plate off. This was my C30 and would have been a huge pain. It was over the winter when I wasn't using it anyway. I prefer to use time and seasons to make life alittle easier. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman and propane1 have said thanks

#11 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 05:33 AM

I would have thought the bolt would have right hand threads so the direction of rotation would tend to tighten the bolt.

If the bolt is broken why won't the chuck come off over what is left of it?

A large Allen wrench with the short end tightened in the chuck makes a good handle or something to strike with a block off wood if you need to turn it.

Garry

• hamman said thank you

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 06:35 AM

Roger,
Exactly What issue is this bolt causing?
If the chuck won't stay on, take it off and remove the bolt?
Spinning on the shaft, threads are stripped?
  • hamman said thank you

#13 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 10:08 AM

I would have thought the bolt would have right hand threads so the direction of rotation would tend to tighten the bolt.

If the bolt is broken why won't the chuck come off over what is left of it?

A large Allen wrench with the short end tightened in the chuck makes a good handle or something to strike with a block off wood if you need to turn it.

Garry

If it's a threaded chuck the left hand threads on the bolt keep the chuck from unscrewing while the drill is in reverse tho I have yet to see a homeowner drill press that is reversible.
Mike
  • MH81 and hamman have said thanks

#14 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 12:14 PM

Roger,
Exactly What issue is this bolt causing?
If the chuck won't stay on, take it off and remove the bolt?
Spinning on the shaft, threads are stripped?

Alan the bolt causes no problem other than the chuck falls off the shaft, or in the lucky case it will stay on the shaft the chuck locks up on the work piece and the spindle spins. The bolt that broke off holds the chuck on the spindle. Due to it's size and the place it broke off at. I will go out today and get some pics of the problem. Again it is an old Commins / Harbor Freight drill pres and I'm not sure what there is to add to the bolt to create pressure to hold the chuck on and keep it from spinning after I do get the broken part out. I can't tell if it is right or left hand threads. There is no parts breakdown for this press that I can find.  Freezing rain and snow today. Sure hope this weather breaks soon soon. More later.                                                                                                                                                 Roger

Edited by hamman, March 25, 2015 - 12:15 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#15 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 06:02 PM

Well, we're looking forward to the pics. Hope you get to feeling better.

Mike

• hamman said thank you