Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

JD 140 electrical problems... Help please!

140 electrical

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 thadbowen OFFLINE  

• Member No: 68748
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 10:13 PM

Hey guys. I got it running! Finally!

I totally replaced the ground cable because I didn't trust that it was doing its job. Also while doing that I saw the wires going to the voltage regulator were worn and dried out by the conectors. So i replaced that last 2 inches so the bad wire was gone. After doing those two thing i got it to crank. Then i took the carb off and did a good cleaning. After that she fired right up. Its been sitting for 13 years!!

THANKS everyone for all the help!

You have gained a long time member here now that I have contracted the little tractor fever!!

• Alc, KennyP, Trav1s and 1 other said thanks

#17 hdg4400 ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 247 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 10:32 PM

Glad you figured it out.

I should have remembered my problem with starting my 318, but hindsight is always better than foresight. All of a sudden it wouldn't start, then with help from people here at GTTalk I figured it out.

While working on it, I had taken the battery out of the tractor and connected the tractor cables to the battery with jumper cables. Then it would start. Took me a little while but finally figured out the tractor cables weren't making a good connection to the battery posts.

After a good cleaning and smoothing/sanding of both the battery posts and the insides of the cable connectors. it worked much better. I still think I need a new positive cable, but haven't gotten around to getting one yet.

#18 M.Cain OFFLINE  

• Member No: 68107
  • 185 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 10:58 PM

Glad to hear you got her running .

Mitchell :dancingbanana:

#19 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor