Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

JD 140 electrical problems... Help please!

140 electrical

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 thadbowen OFFLINE  

thadbowen
  • Member No: 68748
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 12:40 PM

Hey there, first post here. I've read so many forums and enjoy this a lot! So cutting to the chase...

I have a john Deere 140 h1 free from a neighbor but it has issues. When i turned the key first nothing happend. I started off by getting a new battery that I repeatedly check charge on. Now that I have good power the lights work and the PTO will engage. I still have nothing happen when turned to start. So I brought out the multimeter. I read about the neutral safety switch so I wired that together. Still nothing. Now I can get the solenoid to click then I lose all power trough the tractor. Then when I come back to it lights and PTO works again till the solenoid clicks then lose it again. I switched the circuit breaker to a 25 amp fuse because o thought it was bad. Turned out not to be. I also testested the ignition switch and it seems OK. I'm kind of lost on what is bad. Any insight on this will help!

JD 140 h1
Serial- 060481
Type- T0585
Not certain on year

#2 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 282 Thanks
  • 406 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 03:23 PM

I am not very familiar with JD's but I think the first place I would check would be the ignition switch. Terminals will get corroded on the back of the switch as well as the inside of the connector. Good luck Kelly :thumbs:

• thadbowen said thank you

#3 thadbowen OFFLINE  

thadbowen
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for the responce! I've tested it with a multimeter but i won't rule it out yet. I'm really stumped on this. Now when i flip the key to RUN/On i have roughly 6 volts at the starter and lights. I think im going to check every wire and really crack down on a diagram i found on here. Anyone know if a voltage regulator could be an issue? Or is that with it running only?

#4 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,621 Thanks
  • 3,765 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 03:57 PM

That serial number makes it a late machine - WFM says:

Here is the information about the Tractor t0585060481

Model: 140
Typecode: T0585
Serial Number: 60481
Model Year: 1974
Engine Model and Size: K321 Kohler 14HP
Lift Type: Hydraulic 1 Lever
Paint: Green/Yellow
Manufactured Location: Horicon, WI

I have tried to find a wiring schematic for you but have no luck.  I did find this info for you:

AM34290 - Wiring harness if it does not have lights

AM34292 - deluxe models

AM32318 - switch

A quick search of AM34290 turned up this thread which might help:

http://98.139.21.31/...SzPkYB5F99nLQ--

That is my 120 in the thread and can see if a 120 diagram would help as the 120 is quite similar to your 140.

Edited by Trav1s, March 24, 2015 - 04:12 PM.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 10,055 Thanks
  • 7,679 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 04:07 PM

Welcome to GTT. I suspect that you have a bad connection somewhere. The first and most likely suspect is the engine ground. If it is a little corroded it will reduce the voltage. Put your voltmeter between the starter input wire(red lead) and the battery ground(black lead). Try to start and read the voltage. It should be 12v. Now put the black test lead to the engine block and try to start. If the voltage is less than 12v it will probably mean that the engine is not grounded well. Good Luck, Rick

#6 hdg4400 ONLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 268 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 04:09 PM

thadbowen:

Check your Personal Messages. I have some info I can send you that might help.

Harlan

Edited by hdg4400, March 24, 2015 - 04:32 PM.

• Trav1s said thank you

#7 thadbowen OFFLINE  

thadbowen
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 04:12 PM

I'll go give that a shot. I've been testing with the black lead for my meter always on the battery. Thanks for the help.

#8 thadbowen OFFLINE  

thadbowen
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 04:15 PM

Thanks Trav1s! nice to know the year!! BTW you got some nasty weather coming your way if its not there already. Its just starting to freeze here and its been raining all day! Where did that nice 90 degree weather go?!?

#9 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,103 Thanks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 04:37 PM

if your solenoid is clicking I would say that's possibly the culprit.

#10 thadbowen OFFLINE  

thadbowen
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 04:52 PM

I have some more info now.

So I took of the battery cables and walked away from it for a hour. Just went back and tried to figure it out.

Put battery cables back on. checked and i have a good ground. the lights and pto would power on as they should. I had no power at the starter. then moment I turned the key over to START the selenoid clicked rapidly a few times and everything shut off. Couldnt get it the lights to come back.  I'm looking towards the selenoid.

I really appriciate all the help here guys!

#11 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,621 Thanks
  • 3,765 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 05:22 PM

Thanks Trav1s! nice to know the year!! BTW you got some nasty weather coming your way if its not there already. Its just starting to freeze here and its been raining all day! Where did that nice 90 degree weather go?!?

Thanks for the warning.  Been raining all day but no freezing yet.  Perhaps I should hide at home and ignore the world.  LOL

Glad to hear you are getting somewhere on the 140.  My 120 was frustrating while getting the bugs worked out but it has been uber reliable since I got it finished.  

Been thinking about your machine a bit more - Does it still have the neutral safety switch in place?  Is it out of adjustment?  That one was a bit tricky on my 120 when I replaced it.  The previous owner bypassed it and I am not comfortable without it on a hydro.

#12 thadbowen OFFLINE  

thadbowen
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for the warning.  Been raining all day but no freezing yet.  Perhaps I should hide at home and ignore the world.  LOL

Glad to hear you are getting somewhere on the 140.  My 120 was frustrating while getting the bugs worked out but it has been uber reliable since I got it finished.  

Been thinking about your machine a bit more - Does it still have the neutral safety switch in place?  Is it out of adjustment?  That one was a bit tricky on my 120 when I replaced it.  The previous owner bypassed it and I am not comfortable without it on a hydro.

I have the Neutral saftey switch bypassed to rule it out of my problems. I'll get there eventually its just a head ache now. No rush as i have a 06 JD l120 to mow with when the time comes. I just want this tractor for everyday tool and snow removal. Thanks for the thought!!

#13 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 29,553 Thanks
  • 40,533 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 05:51 PM

I see the PTO switch is in the starting circuit also. Is it OFF?

#14 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,621 Thanks
  • 3,765 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 06:17 PM

I see the PTO switch is in the starting circuit also. Is it OFF?

On the later style switch it is but I cannot confirm with the original switch if it is there.  My original was long gone and I upgraded to the interlock style.

#15 M.Cain OFFLINE  

M.Cain
  • Member No: 68107
  • 185 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 07:07 PM

I am also betting you have a bad solenoid make sure starter is not engaged or stuck in flywheel also you should have 12 v when you turn key to start on the purple wire that engages the solenoid.

JD-140 Tair down 005.jpg

Edited by M.Cain, March 24, 2015 - 07:18 PM.