• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 10:58 AM

When I read just the title, I said no.  But when I saw all the nice attachments, and the tractor, I have to say you did real good in my book!

• alec and TenPn have said thanks

#17 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • Member No: 61353
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 11:10 AM

When I read just the title, I said no.  But when I saw all the nice attachments, and the tractor, I have to say you did real good in my book!

thats exactly what I said to the wife . the best part was she was reading over my shoulder and was totally on board . ( hmmm I wonder what she is up to ??  haha)

• olcowhand said thank you

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 11:24 AM

As far as any pintle shaft leak, as long as you keep the fluid up in the right range, the leak won't harm anything except what the oil may drip on.

• alec said thank you

#19 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,062 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 11:24 AM

the pump will never die unless it's run dry or gets debris in the fluid. If it leaks and it doesn't bother you just check the level to make sure it stays up in the reservoir. typically and especially on a machine that looks that well kept, the pump can be removed and disassembled so the pintle shaft can be flipped over and you basically have a new, 40 year side to the shaft and it will stop the leak. the best fix is to have the case machined and a bushing inserted with a new shaft... that's a permanent fix. But it's a costly one and only really keeps you from having to put cardboard under your parking spot.

if it leaks it will leak worse but will take a long time to do so most likely. I met with a fellow just this past weekend who puts new seals inside the pump and that is a nice temporary fix and one that a guy can do in his own garage. he is working with a machine shop to have a tool made so they average Joe can put the tool in their drill press and cut that case to allow insertion of a bushing. the pricey part is having those shafts made.

bottom line I wouldn't worry about it too muchthey are a super smooth transmission that really was made to last... The leak was just a wear point that didn't surface in the early pumps until they were already in the field.
  • alec said thank you

#20 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 11:38 AM

the pump will never die unless it's run dry or gets debris in the fluid. If it leaks and it doesn't bother you just check the level to make sure it stays up in the reservoir. typically and especially on a machine that looks that well kept, the pump can be removed and disassembled so the pintle shaft can be flipped over and you basically have a new, 40 year side to the shaft and it will stop the leak. the best fix is to have the case machined and a bushing inserted with a new shaft... that's a permanent fix. But it's a costly one and only really keeps you from having to put cardboard under your parking spot.

if it leaks it will leak worse but will take a long time to do so most likely. I met with a fellow just this past weekend who puts new seals inside the pump and that is a nice temporary fix and one that a guy can do in his own garage. he is working with a machine shop to have a tool made so they average Joe can put the tool in their drill press and cut that case to allow insertion of a bushing. the pricey part is having those shafts made.

bottom line I wouldn't worry about it too muchthey are a super smooth transmission that really was made to last... The leak was just a wear point that didn't surface in the early pumps until they were already in the field.

good to know . how hard is it to remove the pump and turn that pintle over ? for some reason that strikes me as a dang neat trick ! but it would match all the other oil leaks on my floor ! the guy said he could never get the bottom hose of the pump to drain it and was fairly shamed about it ( he tried like heck ) he did suck the fluid out and replace it though . super meticulous older gent . really nice too .

#21 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 11:42 AM

As far as any pintle shaft leak, as long as you keep the fluid up in the right range, the leak won't harm anything except what the oil may drip on.

I could lay my rusty tools under it ! :rolling: