57 replies to this topic

#46 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,234 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 12:29 PM

It leaves in a solid pipes and ends up somewhere that's not a leech field nor proper.

I did not add in the shower. The water from the toilet is the only water going in besides the left side kitchen sink bowl. I do need more water in my tank. You are right that the bacteria process is not happening.

This however how its been hooked up probably since it was out in 70 years ago.

3 people using the bathroom.

I still want to change my shower to the tank outlet but I am waiting till my bathroom remodel gets going because I am redoing all my drains out of there since all the fixtures are being moved around the room.
  • Bmerf said thank you

#47 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 02:54 PM

I'm no expert, but something has changed in the last seventy years.  :wallbanging:

People I know that have had trouble is because the tank filled with solids and then the leach field would fill up solid. Leach field is only needed for excess water. I can't see you needing a complete 'new' system. A tank is a tank, if it is good keep it. You need to figure out the bacteria issue. After this pump out try adding a packet or 2 of the bread yeast. (can't hurt) And use nothing that is not septic safe.

Until the remodel, tell the missus to use the left sink more often. :poke:   :D   :wave:

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#48 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,234 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 04:10 PM

There is no leech problem. Just a solids not breaking down problem

I definitely see the bacteria issue. The guy who lived here had 4 people living here. But for the last 30 years it was just the old man. So he couldn't fill it up alone. Last time by some miracle it got so full that it lifted the lid off the tank.

We dump nothing "bad" down the drains execpt a small amount of kitchen grease from browsing hamburger or something and that's not all that often.
  • Bmerf said thank you

#49 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,144 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 04:31 PM

I put a complete new system in 15 years ago when I bought the place.  2 - 750 gal tanks and 5 leach lines 50' each.  Have been using a product we got out of Florida shortly after we built the system.  Put 1/2 tablespoon in the stool once a month.  Had the tanks pumped the first time when they were in use for 7 years.  No garbage disposal or dishwasher but everything else goes in.  Had a 3" crust on top and the rest was water.  Guy said what ever it is it is working and keep it up.  When the lines and everything froze up 2 years ago I had it pumped again to start fresh with new lines, etc.  Everything looked fine.  I don't figure on having them pumped again for another 6 or 8 years.  I think the key is to make sure your tanks(s) are large enough for what is going in them.  If they are to small there is not enough time for the natural break down process to work before it is forced out.  We needed a 1000 gal tank but could get 2 - 750 gal tanks for $100 more so why not.  Glad I did as it has paid for itself many times over in saved pumping fees.

• Alc, Cvans and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#50 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 06:58 PM

...  Have been using a product we got out of Florida shortly after we built the system.  Put 1/2 tablespoon in the stool once a month...

Name of product?

It sounds like it would help.

• Cvans and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#51 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 07:06 PM

I had mine pumped several weeks ago and that was the first time in over 20 years it has been pumped and it really didn't look in that bad of condition.It ended up being soap sludge buildup in the inlet pipe from the washing machine.

• Alc, Cvans and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#52 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 357 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 09:54 PM

The stuff to use is RID X Septic Tank Treatment. Follow the directions on the box adding some every few months. This has been around for many years. My mom uses it in the septic at her place & that septic tank has been pumped out maybe 3 or 4 times in the 50 + years that she has lived there.  

Charlie

• Alc said thank you

#53 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted December 09, 2015 - 07:50 AM

.It ended up being soap sludge buildup in the inlet pipe from the washing machine.

Two things jump to mind.
Off brand soaps will build up very quickly. I have taken a three qt coffee can full of mortar like material out of a dishwasher once. Wal-Mart soap. Washer was <3 years old.
If you are getting that kind of buildup, I would advise cutting you soap use by half. Do some research and I think you will find that often (especially with name brands) less is more. One thing to remember is who makes the little lines on the soap cup?... Right, soap company... Now, what do soap companies sell?... See what I mean?
I know some people who have great success with about two tablespoons full.

We were using Gain Powdered before we switched to the ecowasher. We always had good luck with it as long as we didnt try to over soap.
  • Alc, KennyP, Username and 2 others have said thanks

#54 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted December 09, 2015 - 08:03 AM

Hopefully you get it figured out.

Thankfully we have never had any real issues with either of our septic tanks. With a family of 4 and all laundry and water softener going into septic, we only pumped about every 6-7 yrs and the pumper guy said it looked like it was working fine at that time, not a lot of built up solids.

My parents had theirs pumped every 3 yrs or so, not sure why though it was only them 2 and they hardly used any water at all, their laundry water gets dumped in the ditch from the basement drain.

My septic guy told me to NEVER use that Rid X stuff. He said most of the problems he sees are in tanks where people use the stuff.

I can't argue either way so just repeating what he said.

We just dumped they old green covered food from the back of frig down the toilet, probably plenty of bacteria in that stuff :D

• Alc, KennyP, Bmerf and 1 other said thanks

#55 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,234 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted December 09, 2015 - 09:20 AM

I've heard the same thing about the rid-x.

I figure I have one of 3 things going on, maybe 2 of 3 or maybe all 3.

A Bacteria Problem-not enough

A Lack of water in the tank

Or

Tank is simply too small.  It is 290 gallons if you consider it full at 6" from the top 6' tall 3' diameter.  So it is an EXTEREMLY small tank.  Which in reality it is not a "tank" in its original form.  They are crock pipes sit vertically on a concrete pad. 

My dads look EXACTLY like those picture here.  The same inlet and outlet, ect.  The only difference with mine is the half round pieces at the in and out are going, and someone installed PVC pipe 90s between the two tanks.

And to add Dad has the same problem I have with solids filling the tank.  Except Dad is more creative in disposing of the solids than getting them pumped.

crock_two_800x600.jpg

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 09, 2015 - 09:31 AM.

#56 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted December 09, 2015 - 10:11 AM

Two things jump to mind.
Off brand soaps will build up very quickly. I have taken a three qt coffee can full of mortar like material out of a dishwasher once. Wal-Mart soap. Washer was <3 years old.
If you are getting that kind of buildup, I would advise cutting you soap use by half. Do some research and I think you will find that often (especially with name brands) less is more. One thing to remember is who makes the little lines on the soap cup?... Right, soap company... Now, what do soap companies sell?... See what I mean?
I know some people who have great success with about two tablespoons full.

We were using Gain Powdered before we switched to the ecowasher. We always had good luck with it as long as we didnt try to over soap.

This stuff was snow white and looked like large clumps of lime and yes I think my wife uses Walmart brand.This is a side load washer and they do not recommend liquid detergent.

#57 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,234 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted December 09, 2015 - 10:16 AM

This stuff was snow white and looked like large clumps of lime and yes I think my wife uses Walmart brand.This is a side load washer and they do not recommend liquid detergent.

We cleaned out Dad's kitchen sink/dishwasher line, which runs to its own leach field.  You could chisel the stuff out of the pipe and it would break out into 1/2" chucks the size your hand but pipe shaped.  It was amazing whatever it was.

#58 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted December 09, 2015 - 11:37 AM

Go with Gain or some other good He soap and cut way back.
The reason they say not to use liquid is it doesn't dissolve well in cold water due to the fact you have to break down the (fats) that the soap is encapsulated in before it will work and only warm or hot water will do that well.

My septic guy told me to NEVER use that Rid X stuff. He said most of the problems he sees are in tanks where people use the stuff.
I can't argue either way so just repeating what he said.
We just dumped they old green covered food from the back of frig down the toilet, probably plenty of bacteria in that stuff :D

I had an old septic guy tell me to trap a couple mice or shoot a woodchuck and throw it in there. Best thing for a system according to him.
  • Alc, Username, Cvans and 1 other said thanks