#31 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 10:26 AM

At our facility's water treatment plant when the good bug count (bacteria) could get low do to low flow they would buy dry dog food by the pallet and drop into the system. Guess those bugs really liked the stuff. 

Might work in a septic tank also.

• Alc and MFDAC have said thanks

#32 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 11:50 AM

My grandpa always said to throw a road kill woodchuck or similar in the tank every pump out. He never had issues that I know of.
  • Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#33 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 07:04 PM

At our facility's water treatment plant when the good bug count (bacteria) could get low do to low flow they would buy dry dog food by the pallet and drop into the system. Guess those bugs really liked the stuff. 

Might work in a septic tank also.

Yeah--"Old Roy" brand! Never had to do it during the years I have been at the plant though.

DAC

Edited by MFDAC, March 24, 2015 - 07:04 PM.

#34 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 357 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 09:06 PM

My Mom has a septic tank where she lives & the thing that we always did was use RID X Septic Treatment. Half of a box of this every 6 months. This the shortest time between pumping it out was 10 years. I know if you have a Garbage Disposer there is several things that should not be put in there because it kills the bacteria in the septic tank. Adding more RID X & this gets the bacteria going again. 

Charlie

• Cvans said thank you

#35 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,233 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 07:05 AM

Little update on this. 

I pulled the lids last weekend and took a peek in there.  Everything appears to get working as intended.  *knock on wood*  I did decide to put my shower into the tank to get more water into the tank to avoid a build up of solids.

Also found out I do not have a leech field.......

• KennyP said thank you

#36 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 10:00 AM

Had our tank pumped after reading the information here. Man was that thing full of sludge. It was suggested that it be done again in a year and then every two or three years after that. 

Amazing what one can learn on the GT forums.   :thumbs:   Thanks for the information. Might have saved me a mess. 

• MH81 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#37 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,233 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 03:15 PM

Had our tank pumped after reading the information here. Man was that thing full of sludge. It was suggested that it be done again in a year and then every two or three years after that. 

Amazing what one can learn on the GT forums.   :thumbs:   Thanks for the information. Might have saved me a mess. 

Glad my woes prevented you from having woes. 

A friend of mine down here in WV is having problems with his leech field being over filled.  He has a full house.  Wife, 2 teenage daughters, a pre-teen daughter, and a 5 year old daughter.  They are consuming water at an alarming rate!   He is looking at putting in a new system.

• Cvans said thank you

#38 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 06:48 PM

He is looking at putting in a new system.

Glad I don't have that to look forward to. 

#39 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,233 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 07:14 AM

Visiting this again. Solids tank is full with very little water in the secondary tank. I stuck a stick in there maybe 4 ft of solids and 1 ft of water in a 3" diameter tank. So the solids are covering the pipe from the house and not allowing anymore in the tank.

I have issues with my system and I am going to explore a new system in the spring. Had it pumped again yesterday and its all working fine again. He told me when I had it pumped it would be a around a year I'd need it pumped again. We made it nearly 10 months.

I scheduled him to be there again in September next year. 150 dollars a pop. I pull the lids and lay a garden hose out for him and he is out and done in 30 minutes. He said next time would be cheaper if I have him setup again.

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 07, 2015 - 07:40 AM.

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#40 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 12:06 PM

I've got a note on the back door to get mine pumped again in the spring. Trying to keep ahead of it this time.  :D

#41 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,233 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 01:06 PM

Yeah. I had a reminder set on phone for Jan 1 to pop the lids again and see how it looks. Guess I could of done a sooner reminder. I had planned on having it done 1st quarter of next year

Talked to the guy he said at min 8k max 11k for a new system house main to tank, to leach field. 

I can pump mine every 6 months for 150 a pop, 300 a year.

If it were 10k to put in new one it would take me 33.3 years to pay for a new tank.  Now that's assuming my system doesn't completely die.....

That seems like the smarter way to go to me.

Or am I thinking backwards?

Just bite the bullet and put the new system in?

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 07, 2015 - 02:20 PM.

• Cvans and MFDAC have said thanks

#42 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 11:20 PM

Sounds like the most logical thinking to me! The gal that pumps mine is pretty easy on the eyes too even in that profession (I'm in a similar profession) so forking over the 150 bucks ain't quite as hard to do. That's the price here too, 1000 gal tank.

The problem with not fixing it could be the county, at least around here. They are being jerks--ain't that what gov't agencies do--with folks trying to get by like that, and new system prices by the gougers in this area are well over your estimates. Suppose someone in county sanitary offices somewhere has ties to contractors that do the installation??? Doing it yourself ain't allowed either, even with inspection.

DAC

• Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#43 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 11:35 PM

I guess the big thing I would consider is how long do you plan on living there.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#44 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 06:40 AM

If you lived in a town with city sewer you would probably pay more then $200 a year for service so if you looked at it that way pumping ever 10 months not seem as bad

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#45 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 11:30 AM

Little update on this. 

I pulled the lids last weekend and took a peek in there.  Everything appears to get working as intended.  *knock on wood*  I did decide to put my shower into the tank to get more water into the tank to avoid a build up of solids.

Also found out I do not have a leech field.......

No leach field? Where does the water go? Is this a dry well type? Basically just a tank with a bunch of holes all around?

Visiting this again. Solids tank is full with very little water in the secondary tank. I stuck a stick in there maybe 4 ft of solids and 1 ft of water in a 3" diameter tank. So the solids are covering the pipe from the house and not allowing anymore in the tank.

Did you add the water from the shower? If so the secondary tank should be full of water.

10 months and 4' of solids? Sounds like your bacteria are not working. A few questions: How many in house hold? Are you using bleach? Putting vinegar down the drain? Using cleaning supplies not recommended for septic system? Something seems to be killing your bacteria. Maybe try adding some bakers (bread) yeast.

Family of three here. One 1000 gal. tank, no baffle, leach field. Tank will be pumped in the spring; it has been three years. Last time way less than 2' of solids floating on water.  Just preventative maintenance.

• Alc said thank you