• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#16 Coventry Plumber ONLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 07:34 PM

If the leech bed is clogged ill borrow my buddies back hoe and dig it up get some line and gravel and make a new one. We did the same at my dads a few years ago. Ill pump it and keep an eye on it.
the side nearest the house is full and pushing the lid up. The other side leading to the leech field is full of a mix of water and crap and appears tp be draining fine otherwise. Im thinking that the line between the tanks got clogged when the tank got full. Then only a small amount of water was draining over. Since the only water going into the tank is from the toilet it took longer for the solids to build up. Otherwise id probably of seen water back up first instead of solids

If u do dig it up keep it to your self , that will get you in really really big trouble around here. If it's out of sight then ,well maybe your planting a tree or something like that.
  • Columbia236 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#17 M.Cain OFFLINE  

M.Cain
  • Member No: 68107
  • 185 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 07:50 PM

I bet your baffle in the tank is rusted away and letting your laterals let ground water run back in the tank.
  • Cvans, toomanytoys84 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#18 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,081 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 08:12 PM

If u do dig it up keep it to your self , that will get you in really really big trouble around here. If it's out of sight then ,well maybe your planting a tree or something like that.

Ill have to check on that. We have always worked on our own stuff. We dug up dad's system 3 or 4 times in the last 20 years. Just got a hoe and went to town. My area and county has zero zoning laws and really lax laws concerning a lot of stuff. Or sewage and sanitation department for the county has 5 employees. Wife's uncle being one of them.

I never knew their was a baffle there. I'm doing reading now. Getting an education on septic tanks.

This one is too separate round tanks. Probably 3 feet apart. It may be another one of the famous home built septic systems we have around town. I'll get the hose out and clean and flush lines and see what develops.

We will see tomorrow when I get it pumped out. Luckily my lines are all easily dug up and found.

Edited by toomanytoys84, March 22, 2015 - 08:15 PM.

• Columbia236 said thank you

#19 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,511 Thanks
  • 5,029 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 08:45 PM

On some of the older cast septic tanks the inlet and outlet pipe was cast iron. Those tend to become caked with crud over the years and will plug up. I had to have them both replaced with plastic years ago and have had no problem with the tank since. 

I do use Riddex septic tank treatment. This was suggest by a friend who pumps tanks and seems to work quite well.

Do you have any trees growing near your system by any chance?

k2-_7671edf3-f484-4a98-9f72-442162b41741

Edited by Cvans, March 22, 2015 - 08:47 PM.

• oldedeeres, Columbia236 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#20 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 09:01 PM

Yeah Trent, great explanation. On mine at least, the intake and discharge baffles are up high on the tank so solids can basically almost fill it up if it is not pumped periodically. The tank overflowing is definitely a discharge problem.

Another reason not to use a sink disposal on home size septic systems is the "bugs" that "eat" the solids prefer the ground up food from the kitchen and will work on that first before they go to the less desired material if they have a choice.

I have never confessed here before that my day job is a class II wastewater operator---- but that is in a mechanical plant. Still don't have lots of knowledge of a septic system besides just owning one.

DAC

• MH81, Alc, Trent Thomson and 5 others have said thanks

#21 Trent Thomson OFFLINE  

Trent Thomson

• Member No: 2375
  • 188 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 06:51 AM

On some of the older cast septic tanks the inlet and outlet pipe was cast iron. Those tend to become caked with crud over the years and will plug up. I had to have them both replaced with plastic years ago and have had no problem with the tank since. 

I do use Riddex septic tank treatment. This was suggest by a friend who pumps tanks and seems to work quite well.

Do you have any trees growing near your system by any chance?

k2-_7671edf3-f484-4a98-9f72-442162b41741

I grew up in the business with my grandfather starting the first septic business in my province and its still going in the family. I think 73 years and 3 generations. From our experience any of those septic treatments are not recommended. The natural biological action in the tank causes sludge to sink to the bottom solids to float on the top and clear liquid to be in the center. Its the clear liquid that is in the area that goes out the outlet pipe (which has an 18 inch pipe on the bottom of it) to the bed. As time goes on this sludge layer builds up towards the bottom of the outlet pipe and the solids build down to it. When that happens you have solids going to your bed clogging it up. What we find with any of these product is that they turn everything into the same consistency just like a milkshake.Then this milkshake has replaced the clear liquid going to the bed and this in turn fills the bed with sludge and causes its demise  Don't waste your money. We can always tell as soon as we pop the cover off if they use any of these products. The only good maintanence is to pump it every 2-3 years. One other thing we don't recommend are those sink disposals and pouring any fat or grease down the sink. Just a little knowledge I've learned from experience.

Edited by Trent Thomson, March 23, 2015 - 06:53 AM.

• MH81, Cvans, MFDAC and 4 others have said thanks

#22 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 07:33 AM

Backed up sewage sure is a crappy job :poke:  :D

Guess I have been a lucky one, only pump our tank every 6-7 years per recommendation of local septic tank pumper guys. He has pump 3 time over last 16 yrs and said it looked great and working good everytime. It helps that out leach fields are basically in a gravel bed, it's never had a drainage issue the whole time we have lived there.

He also stated that the biggest issues he sees is the use of those Riddix type products and also using a garbage disposal with a septic system, we had neither.

My inlaws have theirs pumped like twice a year. They are on top of a solids rock/clay bed and theirs backs up when we get tons of rain.

They wre told it was cause the tank was too high in ground, but I think it's just cause their ground has no drainage.

• toomanytoys84 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#23 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,081 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 09:33 AM

May have dodged a bullet. He said tank looks perfect after cleaning. He said the tank was just so full. His guess was 5 years. When I bought the house I was told it had been done like months before. It is however an incredibly small tank. He said once a year to get it pumped.

Lines in the house are clear. The guy sprayed the hose down into the leech field and it flowed out. He said he put about 30 gallons in it and it never back flowed. He said he did one last week that wouldn't take a 2 or 3 gallons.

He had to shovel the top of the first tank into the second tank and mix it with water before he could even find water in the first tank. It was a nasty mess.

He also told me that the county we are in the home owner can do anything he wants on his property as long as they fill out a form stating what work they want to do to an existing system. The home owner can install a new system as long as it's an approved system.

Edited by toomanytoys84, March 23, 2015 - 10:05 AM.

• MH81, Alc, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#24 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,511 Thanks
  • 5,029 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 09:58 AM

The post by Trent was full of good information and I for one would like to thank you for taking the time to enlighten us. Sounds like you certainly have the experience to know what your talking about. So I guess it's call the Honey Wagon and and no more Riddex. I do remember him saying that he can always tell when someone has been using the stuff because he didn't need to break through a crust on the top of the tank to get his hose in. This sound right?

• Trent Thomson, toomanytoys84 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#25 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 01:31 PM

take an old chicken and stuff it in the cleanout hole.. so it goes into the tank.. ( dead of coarse )  It will energize the enzemes and help digest the solids...

That's what an old farmer told me anyway............. 

• Alc, toomanytoys84 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#26 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,081 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 01:39 PM

take an old chicken and stuff it in the cleanout hole.. so it goes into the tank.. ( dead of coarse ) It will energize the enzemes and help digest the solids...

That's what an old farmer told me anyway.............

I had this picture in my head of my wife out there finding an old live chicken trying to stuff it on the septic tank. Wings flapping and squawking(the chicken not my wife) You would have to tell my wife a dead chicken or she would stuff I live one in there!

Someone told me once a piece of road kill in there will super charge the enzymes and make it break down quicker
  • Alc, sodisr and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#27 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 05:02 PM

Putting 30 gallons in an empty tank tells you nothing. You need to load test. Usually a gal a minute up to 750 to 1000 gallons starting with a full tank Run a string line across the open tank lid and measure the water level every 1/2 hour. Hopefully you don't see a rise in the level
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#28 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,081 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 06:31 PM

I am going to check it in a week and see what the water levels are. I imagine it won't even have near enough water in it to even be dumping off water.

The only going in there is from the toilet. If it doesn't work good enough I have a back hoe available and my wife's grandfather has a dump truck. We can replace the leech field in a few hours of work. All it will cost is the gravel and pipe and a few gallons of diesel.

#29 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 06:44 PM

Not to be gross you might not be getting enough water into your tank to properly break down the solids if just the toilet is going into it. Keep an eye on it and getting pumped every 2 or 3 years is cheap insurance.
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#30 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,081 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 10:08 AM

Not to be gross you might not be getting enough water into your tank to properly break down the solids if just the toilet is going into it. Keep an eye on it and getting pumped every 2 or 3 years is cheap insurance.

I thought of this as well.

Since I am aware of the situation I will keep an eye on whats going on in there.  There was very little water in the tank.  It was 90% solids.

If that is the case I may divert the shower into the septic.  That's the most used water in the house next to the washing machine.