57 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 04:44 PM

I seriously hate water and sewage in my house.

My toilet wouldn't flush. Guess what? My septic tank is completely full. So full in fact that it has pushed the lid up! I knew it was due for a pumping but didn't expect it to be full yet. I was planning on pimping it during the summer but no time like the present

so taking tomorrow off work and getting it pumped.
  • hamman, MFDAC and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 05:05 PM

That kind of sucks. Hope it didn't spill over into the drain field and clog it with solids. I have to get ours done this spring. Hope it just needs pumping. Good luck.

Roger

• boyscout862, toomanytoys84 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#3 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 05:16 PM

Has it been filling up a lot lately ? You should have it pumped every 2 years. If it's older every one year might help it manage better. Is your toilet/toilets 1.28 gallons per flush?
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 05:17 PM

The end of our septic system froze. Fortunately I had just purchased a trac-hoe the week before. So last week I got to dig up 80' of frozen pipe. Everything is working good again. 

I'm kind of wondering why your septic tank isn't emptying?  We haven't had ours pumped in twenty years or more. 

• Canawler, Lauber1, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks

#5 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 05:26 PM

The end of our septic system froze. Fortunately I had just purchased a trac-hoe the week before. So last week I got to dig up 80' of frozen pipe. Everything is working good again. 

I'm kind of wondering why your septic tank isn't emptying?  We haven't had ours pumped in twenty years or more. 

yes interesting question, we have never had to pump ours out in about that same amount of time. If the tanks working right and the leach field is ok, why would it be backing up?

• Cvans, toomanytoys84 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#6 Columbia236 OFFLINE  

Columbia236
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 23802
  • 294 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 05:35 PM

Must be an Ohio thing .My septic overfilled in January had it pumped it filled back up the next day . I am in the process of replacing it ,the system is as old as the house (1953)  I sure could buy a lot of tractors for what this is going to cost! Good luck

• truck21, Cvans, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks

#7 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 05:45 PM

Not pumping every two years will shortin the life of your system. Think of it as a air filter on a motor. It will run fine for a long time but as it is used it slowly starts to get clogged but will still run ok. As time goes on it will run but poorly. Then one day it will keep stalling. Eventually it won't start at all. I hope that makes sense. Also soil conditions make a difference in life span.

Norther Tom
  • Cvans, chris m, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#8 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 05:51 PM

In my area they will fine you if you don't pump your septic tank every 3 years!

Before this became a law I never pumped the tank and had no problems for 35 years. After it became mandatory we put in a garbage disposal and don't really care what gets dumped down the drain so when it is pumped now it has a lot of junk on the bottom of the tank, the first time it was pumped virtually nothing was on the bottom.

That is how the government fixes things... nothing was broke so they fixed it.

• Alc, Username, Cvans and 4 others have said thanks

#9 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 06:11 PM

Has it been filling up a lot lately ? You should have it pumped every 2 years. If it's older every one year might help it manage better. Is your toilet/toilets 1.28 gallons per flush?

ive lived here 2 years and havent had it pumped yet. not sure when the previous owner did it last. I pray it only needs pumped. It is full of solids.

Id say its been awhile. The only thing that goes in the septic tank is the toilet. All my other drains by pass it. I did away with the garbage disposal and tied it into the bypass side.

no clue on the toilet. Its an old one probably not.

Edited by toomanytoys84, March 22, 2015 - 06:14 PM.

• Coventry Plumber said thank you

#10 Columbia236 OFFLINE  

Columbia236
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 23802
  • 294 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 07:00 PM

Best case is your line from the tank to the field is blocked , if the field has stopped working it`s real trouble . From what I`ve read the life of a septic field is about 25 years mine is over 60. 

#11 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 07:12 PM

I need to get mine pumped one of these days too. Our county has also started a 3 year law, but so far I haven't been inspected. 8 years since last pumping on a 43 year old system.

DAC

Edited by MFDAC, March 22, 2015 - 08:36 PM.

• Cvans and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#12 Trent Thomson OFFLINE  

Trent Thomson

• Member No: 2375
  • 188 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 07:18 PM

if you had your tank pumped one day it would be full again in another week or 10 days assuming all your drains run into it. Your tank is probably only around 800 gallons. Even with low flush toilets it doesn't take long to use that much water when you add up showers, brushing teeth, washing clothes, washing dishes, washing face and hands, and of course tubs or jacuzzis plus the toilet. After the tank gets full the 'clear' water goes to the field bed and get soaked back into the ground. The longer you go without pumping to more chance of solids escaping from the tanks and potentially clogging up you bed. Many people do get lucky and go 25 years without pumping but that's all it is. LUCK. That is why it is highly recommended to pump every 2-3 years and some places are actually making it the law.

• Cvans, MFDAC, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks

#13 Trent Thomson OFFLINE  

Trent Thomson

• Member No: 2375
  • 188 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 07:22 PM

Best case is your line from the tank to the field is blocked , if the field has stopped working it`s real trouble . From what I`ve read the life of a septic field is about 25 years mine is over 60. 

It would not be the line from house to tank if the covers are pushing up since the pressure would be on the house side of the tank then.Could possibly be the line going from tank to field bed blocked or broken causing the pressure in the tank.

• toomanytoys84 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#14 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 07:24 PM

If the leech bed is clogged ill borrow my buddies back hoe and dig it up get some line and gravel and make a new one. We did the same at my dads a few years ago. Ill pump it and keep an eye on it.

the side nearest the house is full and pushing the lid up. The other side leading to the leech field is full of a mix of water and crap and appears tp be draining fine otherwise. Im thinking that the line between the tanks got clogged when the tank got full. Then only a small amount of water was draining over. Since the only water going into the tank is from the toilet it took longer for the solids to build up. Otherwise id probably of seen water back up first instead of solids

Edited by toomanytoys84, March 22, 2015 - 07:28 PM.

• hamman and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#15 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 07:29 PM

if you had your tank pumped one day it would be full again in another week or 10 days assuming all your drains run into it. Your tank is probably only around 800 gallons. Even with low flush toilets it doesn't take long to use that much water when you add up showers, brushing teeth, washing clothes, washing dishes, washing face and hands, and of course tubs or jacuzzis plus the toilet. After the tank gets full the 'clear' water goes to the field bed and get soaked back into the ground. The longer you go without pumping to more chance of solids escaping from the tanks and potentially clogging up you bed. Many people do get lucky and go 25 years without pumping but that's all it is. LUCK. That is why it is highly recommended to pump every 2-3 years and some places are actually making it the law.

Perfect explanation !