52 replies to this topic

#31 esbbent OFFLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1183
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 06:53 AM

Looking real good esbbent! That gas tank is a bunch longer than the one on my 12G but everything else looks darn-near identical. Well of course your stuff is fresh and pretty and mine is getting wore out!

DAC

Yes the gas tank is long on this 12, I realized last night that I didn't put any padding down between the tank and the frame. It didn't have any when I took it off, I have some tool box liner I bought and will cut out piece from it. I was looking at pictures I took before tear down, the tank needs to go forward another 3-4"s, the cap was lined up with the front edge of the dash tower.

• MFDAC and Antoniofuse have said thanks

#32 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,266 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 12:04 PM

One thing I've noticed on the MF Gears, the Deluxe muffler and the extended gas tank are never on the same unit.
If you have the deluxe muffler, you need the long dipstick... If you have the long dipstick, you can't use the long tank.
  • DH1, IamSherwood, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#33 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 03:10 PM

One thing I've noticed on the MF Gears, the Deluxe muffler and the extended gas tank are never on the same unit.
If you have the deluxe muffler, you need the long dipstick... If you have the long dipstick, you can't use the long tank.

Dang-it!

#34 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 04:36 PM

I agree 100%

• MH81 said thank you

#35 esbbent OFFLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 09:30 PM

This one doesn't have the deluxe muffler PO has pipe going out the side and then a muffler stack going up like the big tractors. I am planning on leaving it that way, I just have to get the muffler off first due to it being rotted out at the bottom. I will have to get it on the ground with the tires on first, I tried with it on the bench no go without a long cheater pipe.

#36 esbbent OFFLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 07:15 PM

Saturday update (minus pictures :( , ill get them tomorrow) finished cleaning up the front axle and both tie rods and repainted. I took front tires off the rims last night and sand blasted the rims.

I had a buddy of mine pick me up a portable bead breaker at an auction $50, It took a little bit of soaking the tires but the old tires finally broke loose. I should have bought a bead breaker a few years ago.

My new tires for the front, Deestone D837 ribbed tires, showed up Friday. I want to wait a few days for the paint to harden up before I mount the tires.

Unless I have forgotten a part all of the MF flint grey parts should be painted, now time to start working on the parts that are MF red.

• limebuzz and IamSherwood have said thanks

#37 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 07:28 AM

Looking good.Glad to hear you got the transmission figured out.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

#38 esbbent OFFLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 09:32 PM

A little late but here are pictures from the little progress from the weekend. Here is the bead breaker IMAG00080.jpg , it worked great even on the small 8" tires. Rim after being sand blasted and painted.IMAG00081.jpg The new tire waiting to be mounted on the rim. IMAG00082.jpg Tractor after taking off the gas tank and putting it back on with padding underneath along with new drive belts. IMAG00083.jpg IMAG00084.jpg The front axle is bolted up, I did have to pick up a new bolt today since the old one has a big groove in the threads from wear. I thought I was done with all of the flint grey parts but I still have the side pieces with the steps that need to be painted.

• limebuzz, MH81, IamSherwood and 3 others have said thanks

#39 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,266 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 10:28 PM

Your tractor is coming along very nicely
As for finding all the pieces that will need a color, you will always find one just after you clean the gun. :D
  • KennyP said thank you

#40 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 05:15 AM

Looks good! Like that old bead breaker.

#41 esbbent OFFLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 05:38 PM

Weekend update-Saturday starter out by cleaning up priming and painting the side steps to the tractor along with going to town for one piece of pipe and a muffler. I bought a muffler and rain cap for an A/C farm tractor that was 1 1/2" tubing on both ends and will fit over a 1 " pipe. Took the old muffler off and the pipes to clean them up and paint with high temp black paint. IMAG00094.jpg This morning when I went to bolt up the side steps I noticed the left step along with both of the pieces that cover the rear tire have minor paint runs and ended up sanding all 3 pieces and repainting. I was able to get the right side bolted up along with hooking up the springs for the PTO and jack shaft. IMAG00096.jpg . I also was able to free up both the throttle and choke cables and have them hooked up. Next week it is time to start cleaning up and repainting the red parts and pieces.

• limebuzz, KennyP, MFDAC and 2 others have said thanks

#42 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 05:48 PM

Looking good.Can't wait to see her all back together.

#43 adolphsson09 ONLINE  

adolphsson09
  • Member No: 9844
  • 249 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 09:04 PM

Thanks for saving me all that work!!! Looks great!!

#44 esbbent OFFLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 12:40 PM

With work schedule having a change It has been a couple of weeks since I posted an update on the MF12. With work schedule back to normal I have been able to do more work on the tractor. I have the rear fender, tool box cover, dash, and hood painted. I have been working at getting them bolted back on the tractor. IMAG00104.jpg IMAG00105.jpg . I ordered decals yesterday and plan on putting them on next weekend. 

• limebuzz, MFDAC and adolphsson09 have said thanks

#45 esbbent OFFLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 05:59 PM

The latest update is the tractor is just about done. Decals from Texas Hunter showed up Friday. I spent time Saturday morning putting on the decals and then a coat of clear on the 12. I will be putting one more coat of clear on the hood but I need to do some sanding with extra fine sandpaper first. I also have to install headlights and a tail light. IMAG00108.jpg I had an aftermarket seat already and mounted it on some square tubing and then carriage bolted to the top of  the tool box similar to the original seat. IMAG00109.jpg  

This afternoon I started working on the deck mounts, was able to get them blasted and primed. With the mounts out of the way I brought in the deck to work on. The deck is going to be a lot of work. IMAG00110.jpg . It has heavy rust on the bottom and after I took the belt cover off I found out the top also is very rusty. IMAG00112.jpg . I was surprised both idler pulleys were free and turning.

After I get the deck bearings out and the gear box off I am going to clean up both top and bottom the best I can and then apply some red KBS coating on both sides. The top I will repaint but the bottom of the deck I will just leave it KBS red.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG00111.jpg

• DH1, limebuzz, IamSherwood and 2 others have said thanks