• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 08:07 AM

Good thing you split the case on this one. Your doing a nice job & your efforts will pay off soon.

#17 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1183
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 08:17 AM

Nice job, looks like it is coming along well. You probably noticed that you lifted the cover off the case, leaving most of the gears in the case. When it comes to the rebuild you may find it easier to start with the upturned cover, build the gears up in that and then put the case back on top. That way the shifter unit goes in easily. It's also the way the manual describes the rebuild - (so easier for me to follow!)

I will keep this in mind, I did it this way due to the one Axle hub not wanting to come off the shaft. The one side after taking the snap ring off I was able to take off by hand and taping with my rubber mallet. This other side doesn't even want to try to move, I have been applying PB blaster since yesterday.

#18 adolphsson09 ONLINE  

adolphsson09
  • Member No: 9844
  • 249 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 12:17 PM

So you were able to get the piston and rod Did you get the engine together and how does it run if so Glad this went to the perfect home

#19 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 03:26 PM

So you were able to get the piston and rod Did you get the engine together and how does it run if so Glad this went to the perfect home

I did get a piston and rod and have the engine back together, I just have not tried to start it yet, I was waiting to get it on the frame and bolted down and wired up.

• limebuzz said thank you

#20 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 07:16 PM

Update from today-I was able to get the transmission back together this am. I tried last night late after work but after an hour of fighting getting it to go back together I decided best go to bed and regroup in the am. This am I re-read the manual and after the 3 time the transmission is back together.100_0213.JPG 100_0214.JPG I was not able to get the one hub off and have the axle still in the one side made it more of a struggle than it should have. Here it is with most of it painted I still need to finish painting the bottom part tomorrow. After getting the transmission done, I fixed a spot in the frame where the paint ran. After fixing the paint run I sprayed 2 more coats on the frame and the dash tower.100_0215.JPG 100_0216.JPG Goal for tomorrow is to get the transmission bolted in and then the drive pulleys and linkage.

• DH1, limebuzz, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#21 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 07:18 PM

I still need to get the one axle hub off so I can install the new axle shaft seal and check the bearing. But that will have to take a bearing puller, which I don't have but plan on picking one up on Monday. I was hoping to put it in the press but the press is not wide enough for it to fit.

• Sawdust said thank you

#22 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 07:44 PM

Coming along and looking good. :thumbs:

#23 adolphsson09 ONLINE  

adolphsson09
  • Member No: 9844
  • 249 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 09:16 PM

I cant get over how much that transaxle looks like the one I have in the basement What is the number stamped on the casing?

#24 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 03:39 PM

I cant get over how much that transaxle looks like the one I have in the basement What is the number stamped on the casing?

The only number I could find on the casting is this one and the picture is not very good. 100_0218.JPG I know there is a metal tag attached to the transmission but I am not able to read it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0219.JPG
  • 100_0220.JPG

#25 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 03:45 PM

This afternoon I was able to get the transmission bolted back on the frame. 100_0220.JPG Since this is the first MF gear tractor I have dealt with how hard should the gear shifter be to shift into the different gears? At times it moves real easy and then the next time it acts like it is binding up.

I also bolted up the dash housing along with the variable speed selector.100_0219.JPG Tomorrow I plan on painting the variable speed selector and touching up the transmission.

• MFDAC said thank you

#26 MFGray OFFLINE  

MFGray

• Member No: 154
  • 129 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 02:57 PM

"Since this is the first MF gear tractor I have dealt with how hard should the gear shifter be to shift into the different gears? At times it moves real easy and then the next time it acts like it is binding up."

I find that the gear shifter can be quite stubborn (especially shifting into 4th gear) unless the input shaft is turning very slightly. If you release the variator handle and then ease up on the clutch just a fraction with the engine running, the transmission should slip into any gear quite easily.

#27 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 06:24 PM

An update from this week. The transmission I ended up taking back out and taking it back apart to see what the shifting issue was, after messing around with the shifters and second guessing myself on how they went back into the case the transmission is fixed. All I can figure is I had the shift gate installed wrong. Most of the day was putting the engine on along with the repainting and installing the fuel tank, voltage regulator, and starter solenoid. Here are a couple of pictures of the progress. IMAG00076.jpg IMAG00077.jpg

• limebuzz, MH81, IamSherwood and 4 others have said thanks

#28 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 09:53 PM

Looking real good. Glad you got your engine back together & your shifter figured out. I just started tearing my engine down yesterday. It's a little too cold for painting right now.
  • MFDAC said thank you

#29 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,030 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 08:12 PM

Looking real good. Glad you got your engine back together & your shifter figured out. I just started tearing my engine down yesterday. It's a little too cold for painting right now.

Jim, are you doing a major overhaul on an HH120? Looks like I have to run "ol smokey" one more season but really need to bore and find an oversize piston or just do a re-power.

DAC

EDIT-- sorry Jim I just saw your thread. I will go read it now!

Edited by MFDAC, April 12, 2015 - 08:23 PM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#30 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,030 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 08:16 PM

An update from this week. The transmission I ended up taking back out and taking it back apart to see what the shifting issue was, after messing around with the shifters and second guessing myself on how they went back into the case the transmission is fixed. All I can figure is I had the shift gate installed wrong. Most of the day was putting the engine on along with the repainting and installing the fuel tank, voltage regulator, and starter solenoid. Here are a couple of pictures of the progress. attachicon.gifIMAG00076.jpgattachicon.gifIMAG00077.jpg

Looking real good esbbent! That gas tank is a bunch longer than the one on my 12G but everything else looks darn-near identical. Well of course your stuff is fresh and pretty and mine is getting wore out!

DAC