52 replies to this topic

#1 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1183
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 02:35 PM

With spring here and warmer temps I decided last Saturday it was time to take the MF8 w/snow-blower out of the garage and put the MF12 G I purchased a few months ago. After doing a MF14 and MF8 without enough pictures, this time I have and plan on taking more pictures going thru the restoration process. Here is what the 12 looked like just put in the garage IMAG00016.jpg the hood and engine were already taken out. The hood has some damage where the headlights go in,IMAG00003.jpg I had to remove the spot welds to straighten up the metal and then re-weld it back together.IMAG00036.jpg  Last week was spent getting it stripped down to the frame.IMAG00025.jpg . Yesterday I finally got the steering wheel off to get the dash tower off the frame. The steering box was a mess when I opened it up. IMAG00027.jpg , I took it apart cleaned it all up and put it back togetherIMAG00033.jpg . Time was spent yesterday sand blasting the brackets that bolt on along with dash tower and getting them primed. IMAG00037.jpg . IMAG00036.jpg The frame I wire brushed to clean it up the best I can, the plan for the frame it to get grey colored KBS rust treatment brush on and then before it sets up spray the frame with Massey grey.IMAG00034.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG00035.jpg

• DH1, limebuzz, MH81 and 15 others have said thanks

#2 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,603 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 03:16 PM

It looks like it's coming along well. It's great to tear everything down and get it back in shape. I'm spending time in the shed today myself, but it's still chilly out. The shed will get heat for next winter since I hate being stuck in the house!
  • limebuzz said thank you

#3 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 10:05 PM

Looks like a good project. Are you rebuilding the engine too?

DAC

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 11:13 PM

You have got a great start on your project. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Thanks for recording the restore with photos!! :thumbs:

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 04:57 AM

You've gotten a lot done already! Keep the pics coming!

#6 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 05:28 AM

Looks like a good project. Are you rebuilding the engine too?

DAC

The engine was rebuilt a few months back due to a broken rod. I ended up putting a new connecting rod and piston in the engine.

• MFDAC and Sawdust have said thanks

#7 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 09:25 AM

Your coming along nicely. I'm doing my MF 12 & I think I have over 50 pics frame for frame all over this thing. My hood has the same problems. My PO tried to fix with pop rivets & made a mess. Looking forward to your progress.

#8 adolphsson09 OFFLINE  

adolphsson09
  • Member No: 9844
  • 249 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 10:00 AM

Awesome!!! I have been waiting for this thread to see how it comes out Keep the pics coming!!!

#9 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 09:16 PM

I am hoping my KBS supplier gets more KBS grey in before this weekend. If not I plan on taking the transmission apart this weekend, hoping it doesn't have a bunch of rust and muck in it like the steering gear box did.

#10 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 06:28 PM

The engine was rebuilt a few months back due to a broken rod. I ended up putting a new connecting rod and piston in the engine.

Did you do an overbore? If so who would you recommend to buy one?

DAC

#11 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 09:12 PM

Did you do an overbore? If so who would you recommend to buy one?

DAC

no I didn't bore out the engine to a bigger bore. I measured the bore with a micrometer and it was standard bore with no wear or taper wear to the bore so I put a standard size piston back in.

• MFDAC said thank you

#12 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 09:13 PM

I did pick up the gray KBS this afternoon along with a quart of MF flint gray paint. Looks like I will be busy this Saturday getting the frame painted.

• limebuzz, MH81 and Sawdust have said thanks

#13 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 06:26 PM

Here is the Friday night/Saturday update. Last night with the frame upside down I applied the kbs rust seal and then let it sit for 10-15 min then sprayed on the MF grey and went to bed. This morning when I went to the garage to do the top of the frame I realized I had put it on too thick, runs down the sides and the edges. I fixed those then proceeded to KBS the top.

IMAG00043.jpg IMAG00044.jpg IMAG00045.jpg IMAG00046.jpg I applied the MF grey to the top part of the frame (just no picture yet).

I decided to tackle the transmission next, after a trip to town to pick up a gear puller to get the drive pulley off. I took out the drain plug and like I figured water and a mess of water mixed gear oil or what was left of gear oil. 100_0205.JPG 100_0206.JPG I found an article on here ( cant find it right now) on leaving the left tire bolted to the axle to hold it up to split the case, worked great. Here is what the inside looked like. 100_0207.JPG 100_0208.JPG 100_0209.JPG 100_0210.JPG . It is all cleaned up except of the top part of the case is still soaking in parts wash tub. All the gears and bearings looked good, I plan on just cleaning them up and putting it back together. I do have the JD part numbers for the seals and gaskets, I plan on ordering them on Monday. The only part that was real rusty was one of the shifters, a few minutes in the sandblast cabinet took care of it. I also received a little metal mesh basket today that I ordered for putting small parts in to sand blast. I tried it out with the little transmission case bolts, it works much better than trying to hold them in your hand.

• MFGray, MH81, IamSherwood and 2 others have said thanks

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,270 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 11:16 PM

When I was flipping thru the pcs, I got ahead one and was trying to figure out what kind of paint that was on your shoe.
Yuck... Calf sour yellow oil. Glad there wasn't more damage.

#15 MFGray OFFLINE  

MFGray

• Member No: 154
  • 129 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 04:50 AM

Nice job, looks like it is coming along well. You probably noticed that you lifted the cover off the case, leaving most of the gears in the case. When it comes to the rebuild you may find it easier to start with the upturned cover, build the gears up in that and then put the case back on top. That way the shifter unit goes in easily. It's also the way the manual describes the rebuild - (so easier for me to follow!)
  • Sawdust said thank you