• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted March 17, 2011 - 04:56 AM

Nice Kenny! Are you going to put the winch on it still?

Yeah, just have to put it above the fenders, no room below. I may be wrong, but I am trying to keep the lower attach parts close to the axle. I hope for less leverage that way, not so much front end lift.

#32 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted March 17, 2011 - 05:36 AM

This boom seems like a handy item . I also like the idea of a rear winch that could be used without the boom , I wonder if the placment further forward of the piviot point will take stress off the boom , kind of like a tow truck.

#33 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 17, 2011 - 07:34 PM

Looking good Alan! The actual "lifting" might have to be a 2 man operation. I completely understand the shoulder thing!

#34 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 08:25 AM

Kenny : I have been thinking about your Cherry picker and the boompole design you drew.
I like the idea of using your cherry picker coupled close to the rear axle. Does the boom on that cherry picker have length adjustment(some do)?
And that would be a handy feature. The hydralic hand pump would be slower than a winch, but quick & dirty the hydralic is already there.
Why not mount the cherry picker with a 2" reciever to your sleeve hitch(The sleeve adapter could be used for a lot of implements).
I like your idea of upper links to stabilize the upright. It could look much like the picture I am Sherwood posted and could slide into the reciever adapter for easy mounting.and unmounting. The reciever would be standard off the shelf with mounts welded on to pin to your Sleeve hitch.
  • MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#35 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 12:31 PM

JD, you might have just made my day. I already have a sleeve to 2" receiver adaptor, and some 2" square tube lying about. Just need to make a piece to bolt the post to, which I have a large 6x12 piece of 3/4" steel to use. May have to try that. If I can at least use it to pull the K341 without too much front weight, I would be very happy. I may do that next week, as I have my son coming for the weekend and it may rain.
P.S. If I used a little more 2" cross wise, I could put outriggers on them.

Edited by KennyP, March 18, 2011 - 12:34 PM.
Added to original post

#36 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 08:06 PM

The only forward motion on this tonight was a revelation. I am hopelessly indecisive. Since I couldn't figure out where the chain hooks should go, I made an infinitely adjustable sleeve with lock bolt that goes up & down the boom & locks wherever I choose.

Wishy-Washy Problem Solving Inc.

#37 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 08:13 PM

You're indecisive? I've been several different directions since I started this whole mess. If I do as JD suggested, I'm going to tack weld together until I'm sure it will work.

Edited by KennyP, March 18, 2011 - 08:20 PM.
Added to original post

#38 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 09:24 PM

The only forward motion on this tonight was a revelation. I am hopelessly indecisive. Since I couldn't figure out where the chain hooks should go, I made an infinitely adjustable sleeve with lock bolt that goes up & down the boom & locks wherever I choose.

Wishy-Washy Problem Solving Inc.

Nothing wrong with giving yoursef some options. I find most projects I attempt require going back to the drawing board several times.
Like Kenny and I were debating in the other thread. The longer the lever the more chance you have of having the weighting wrong and tipping the tractor. Even though we have a clear weight limit in mind, once it works we find ourselves pushing the limits(its in our nature)
A sliding sleeve allows you to shorten the lever to reduce excess lift . I think that's a good idea!

#39 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 09:33 PM

A sliding sleeve allows you to shorten the lever to reduce excess lift . I think that's a good idea!

The only downfall I see is, all that extra pole sticking out past the hook could keep me from getting into some areas.

#40 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 10:18 PM

That is true. You can always cut it off at the length you find best once you have determined that. Thats a lot easier than stretching it.

#41 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 08:05 AM

That's exactly what I did when I made this one.

DSCN1573.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality, but this one shows it best. If you look closely at the top arm, in front of and behind the attachment point for the hydraulic cylinder, you'll see the extra holes for moving the attachment point in and out.

#42 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 08:43 AM

I keep reading this post and get more ideas every day. Thinking this could be adapted to my hitch . Has an ext.boom and bottle jack already built on .
Pickup Truck Crane - 1/2 Ton Capacity

#43 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 09:40 AM

Alc, this is the one I have. Just waiting for drier weather to tack some pieces together. JD DANNELS gave a very good idea for that type of lift. Have all the parts, just need to drill, cut, & weld. May be next week some time before I can get pics.

KennyP

#44 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 12:05 PM

Can't to see it done and tested out . Al

#45 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 06:53 PM

OK, Still have to make it pretty, but now it's functional. These discs weigh 50 lbs + the (2) 40 lb weights on top. 130 lbs was more than I wanted to carry that far.

The adjustable hook point is nice. Allows me to move heavier stuff closer & also allows me to adjust in relation to where I parked.