• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Todd Klingbeil OFFLINE  

Todd Klingbeil
  • Member No: 68638
  • 5 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 12:32 PM

I heard from a john deer tractor owner they told him not to run mulching blades all the time hard on the engine??I never heard that. Any truth to that?? Thanks :tapping_fingers:

• tinbender7 and CharlesDes have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,441 Thanks
  • 17,082 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 12:40 PM

Depending on how long or thick your grass is the engine will work harder since mulching recirculates the grass in the deck longer than non mulching blades which throw grass right out.

If they make a mulching blade for your tractor and have it as an option  there's nothing to worry about

• Alc, tinbender7 and Todd Klingbeil have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,452 Thanks
  • 6,337 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 12:55 PM

I put Gator Blades on my small Deere, thinking it would make windrows less. THEN, later found out it needs to be an enclosed deck for the mulching to work!  It made Bigger windrows for me then, pooh! I took them off last year and got the standard blades again. I saw/heard no difference in engine working, had them on all summer.

#4 shorty OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,271 Thanks
  • 3,692 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 01:59 PM

If you like to mow at a faster pace, you will get more volume under the deck. This will give more load and give more strain. If your engine is always run under full load, it will most likely give trouble quicker. 

I know a guy that does maintenance at a factory. He services their lawn equipment and one day they decided they need to mulch all the clippings. So he installed the mulching kit, but they tried to mow as fast as before. They tore up so many deck belts that he finally took the kit off. I think that if you don't bog the engine down, it shouldn't be ay harder on it than regular blades.