#1 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,574 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 10:54 AM

I gave a guy in town here a carb that fit his model 60 John Deere. He drove it over to my place to show it to me and offer it for sale. It runs, doesn't smoke and seems to be all there including the deck. It is electric start with the original engine. Trouble is I don't know what it is worth and neither does he. Any ideas on a fair price here in the middle of the country? The body is in decent shape with no apparent cracks in the hood.

Edited by Traill95, March 22, 2015 - 10:55 AM.

• A.C.T. said thank you

#2 M.Cain OFFLINE  

M.Cain
  • Member No: 68107
  • 185 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 11:23 AM

Here I have bought them from $100.00 not running to $300.00 running in good restorable condition.

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,739 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 12:11 PM

Yep, I'm with Cain.

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 12:20 PM

Too Small, who would want one??

#5 M.Cain OFFLINE  

M.Cain
  • Member No: 68107
  • 185 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 02:16 PM

I think they are kind of neat for the grandkids to ride on but the 60 and 70'es are getting harder to find parts for. And I am not a Tec. engine fan at all. But a restored one looks decent .
Restored 1970 70 210.jpg

#6 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 02:33 PM

Too Small, who would want one??

The 60's, 70's & 100's make nice little puttering around tractors!  And they're not as expensive as their bigger brothers --- yet!

#7 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 03:33 PM

While the size is right for kids I think the reach to the clutch/brake is awkward for safe operation...  but that's my opinion.  As for price, I would say that $100-300 depending on condition.

Edited by Trav1s, March 22, 2015 - 03:33 PM.

#8 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 10:27 PM

My opinion? Personally, I'd go to your local John Deere dealership and see what they would give you on a straight sale. See what they think a reasonable offer is, and then make your decision from there. 

Asking any forum what the value of a John Deere, or any other brand of tractor for that matter, is worth will get you no where, as you will usually get three different answers. One answer from a collector, will be a high number, as that is what he hopes his tractor, like the one you are asking about, will be worth if he should try to sell it. Another answer from a collector, will be a low number, as he is looking for the same tractor for his collection, and hopes that he will obtain the tractor that you are looking at, if you decide that you aren't interested in it. And finally a third answer, from someone who isn't a collector, but is making an estimated guess, as he just wants to sound like he knows what he's talking about, and wants to fit in. And before I get any nasty PM's or comments, I'm not referring to any of the above replies!

These little lawn tractors can be found, and are not considered "rare". They are nice, don't get me wrong, but they aren't worth the money that guys are asking for them. You used to be able to buy these tractors for $50.00 or less about 5-7 years ago when no one wanted them. But now all of a sudden, people started collecting them due to not being able to afford to buy the bigger tractors anymore. Why? What is making these tractors so expensive? Inflation? Price of steel? No. Because John down the street was able to sell his $50.00 tractor for $100.00. Then Tom on the other side of the street, saw what John got for his tractor, and decided to sell his same tractor for $150.00. Tony on the other block, heard from John that Tom just sold his tractor for $150.00, so Tony decided to sell his exact same tractor for $300.00. Meanwhile, John just bought another tractor like he just sold, for $25.00, and decided to flip it right away, and tried to get a little more that what Tony sold his for, and put an asking price of $500.00 on it. John sold the tractor within a weeks time. So what's the blame? I think it should be who's the blame, and the answer is us! We are the blame. I believe in making money or turning a profit, but I don't believe in screwing someone out of their hard earned money. As long as we are dumb enough to pay these ridiculous prices for tractors that aren't made of gold, then we have no right to complain about how much we spent on a tractor, or how outrageous the seller is with his asking price on Craigslist or Ebay. 

If the price jacking don't soon end, collecting won't be fun anymore, because you won't be able to afford the hobby.

Just me two cents worth, and again, no finger pointing to anyone in particular. 

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, Trav1s and 1 other said thanks

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 11:07 PM

Very well said Troy, Thank you !! :thumbs:

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 05:01 AM

Great input, Troy!

#11 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,574 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 08:03 AM

No offense taken and I think you are pretty much on the money as to the pricing going up. :thumbs: