Too many hours ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ngzcaz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 68654
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 07:50 AM

I'm interested in a 1863 Cub Cadet with 1311 hours. Since my tractors never had an hour meter I'm not familiar with the life span of this tractor ( assuming normal service )   any ideas ? 

• tinbender7 said thank you

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,461 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 08:05 AM

Welcome to Gttalk, one of the guys will be along ro answer your questions soon. Do you have any photos?

• tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,587 Thanks
  • 38,983 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 08:08 AM

:wave: Welcome to the Forum! Assuming the machine has had reasonable care, I wouldn't be scared away by those hours. I have a Sears FF20 that has nearly 2000 hours on the clock.

By the way, folks will want pics, so check out the link in my signature below for help uploading those.

#4 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,737 Thanks
  • 2,157 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 09:03 AM

:welcometogttalk:  &   :wewantpics:  

Tom  :smilewink:

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,741 Thanks
  • 2,720 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 09:27 AM

Welcome aboard unless she's making funny noise's such as knocking I would not worry, they can blow or not at any time its what they do.

#6 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 10:47 AM

Just my opinion, but "too many hours" is a relative thing to each person, based on your desire/ability to work on the machine, and the related corollary of reliability. Errr, let me expand on that.....

Mechanical stuff wears out and breaks down. The older it is, the more that applies. New stuff breaks too - that's why they offer warranties, but generally there is a declining useful life. At some point, the machine reaches a tipping point where the odds become against you and the cost of ownership becomes much higher. I used to work for a company that had a large fleet of emergency vehicles that saw a lot of use. We would replace those vehicles after 3 years of use. That was the point for us where reliability began to suffer and repair costs started to rise. We sold the vehicles at auction, and there were no shortage of people willing to buy them! And many "lived" for a lot more years of less demanding work.

That tipping point is defined by the owner. The vehicles we sold still had over half of their life left, but had reached the point our Fleet manager defined where reliability statistically began to suffer. Someone with lower standards :D was willing to take the vehicles over and continue to use them. 

The good thing about our GTs is that they are simple devices that can easily be rebuilt/refurbished. Most of the older ones were designed to have long service lives - rebuild able/replaceable parts, low stress designs, overbuilt, using available standard components. Engines can be rebuilt/replaced. Wear points (tie rods, bearings, bushings, etc) can be replaced. And most of us are NOT using these things to make money - commercial use, where break downs cost earning time.  Most have MORE THAN ONE in the barn, so if one breaks, you just go get another to finish cutting the grass!!! :dancingbanana:

So where is your tipping point? If your not good with tools and have to pay somebody to fix your machine, it might be one place. If you are on a really tight budget with this hobby, that might define your spot. If you love to tinker and rebuild things, it might be another. Shoot, I bought a 1961 Cub Original last summer that didn't even have an engine and came in boxes. Guess where MY tipping point is??? :thumbs:

For most of these things, maintenance and upkeep trump hours of service hands down. Poor upkeep will destroy a tractor much faster than normal wear - something that the hour meter won't show... Go look at the machine and see if YOU are comfortable with it. Always room for one more!.....

Edited by Tennblue59, March 22, 2015 - 10:50 AM.

• Alc, oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and 3 others have said thanks

#7 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,514 Thanks
  • 3,064 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 11:03 AM

Welcome! If the general condition is good, indicating that it hasn't been abused, and there are no fluids leaking or discoloration indicating excessive heat, I'd go with the above comments. Mechanical things break eventually if used, we fix 'em--- it's the nature of the beast, lol.

#8 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,051 Thanks
  • 2,166 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 12:05 PM

Not apples to apples, but this machine is one of the cleanest, all original GT's I have ever laid eyes on.  It has over 1200hrs on the factory option clock.  I have also had several tractors 3-4 decades newer, twice the machine and half the hours, in far, far worse shape.

As others have mentioned, I would look over and run the machine to see how it has been used and cared for.

• Alc and tinbender7 have said thanks

#9 propane1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,863 Thanks
  • 3,107 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 03:19 PM

My lgt 165 Ford has , I figure, 3500 hours plus. And it breaks down a fair amount, but, could not buy a new tractor to replace it with out going to a sub compact tractor. 1300 hours, just like new!! Noel