• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JohnDeere214 OFFLINE  

JohnDeere214

• Member No: 6990
  • 57 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted March 21, 2015 - 09:48 AM

Got some play in the foward/reverse lever on the dash, pulled the fenders off to see if there was any adjustment.  Found Hydro dipstick was loose, tightened it down and then checked fluid and it was a quart? low. 

What kind/brand of fluid goes into these tractors??  Hoping once fluid is topped off that will reduce the "play" in the hydro lever also.....

Thanks!!!

#2 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted March 21, 2015 - 10:35 AM

The manual section has the owners manual for the 1862 (similar animal...). According to the manual the only fluid you can use is "Cub Cadet Hydraulic Transmission Fluid" - if you try to use anything else, the wheels will fall off and the whole thing will catch fire :rolling: .

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable about cubs will give you a more helpful answer. The manual says to use fluids that comply with IH B-6 specs. You might be able to research and find other fluids that qualify...

Seriously though, I generally use Deere Hi-trans in most of my stuff - I buy it in-bulk for my big tractor... OR I've heard you can use ATF as well. Biggest problem is mixing what you put in with what's already in there. Some combinations may not play well together. IF your not really sure what's in there, maybe flush, put on a new filter and refill with new fluid of your choice.

You could also have some play in the mechanical linkages between the lever/pedal and the transaxle. Not sure about cubs, but on some of the deere's, you would get creep or speed fluctuations if some of the pivot points in the control lever had too much wear in them.

Good luck!
  • KennyP, JohnDeere214 and Freddie1911 have said thanks

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted March 21, 2015 - 11:25 AM

Any TSC, auto parts store 'Premium Hydraulic Oil' will work. Hy-Tran, Hy-Gard, J20, Type 55, PowerGuard, Powerfluid, Permatran, etc.

Unless your tractor is slow to build up speed, adding fluid will not take out 'play' in the linkages.

• JohnDeere214 said thank you

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 21, 2015 - 02:29 PM

Just be sure not to use straight hydraulic oil.  Has to be the hydraulic/trans type.

#5 JohnDeere214 OFFLINE  

JohnDeere214

• 57 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted March 21, 2015 - 07:41 PM

Thanks guys!!  After posting this i went and checked again and it is more than a quart low, not even showing on the dipstick, so will plan on draining and new filter and fluid,

Thanks again!!!!

#6 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted March 21, 2015 - 08:00 PM

While your at it, give the tractor a good bath and clean up. That fluid is going SOMEWHERE... Usually easier to find a leak on a clean machine..... I'd clean it up good and then run it for a few days, checking it from time to time looking for a leak/weep.

And better for the machine when adding fluid and changing filter if there is no dirt that gets in the system.

#7 Tankman OFFLINE  

Tankman
  • Member No: 21308
  • 294 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 12:52 AM

Lots of Cub owners, myself included, use this:

http://www.tractorsu...lic-fluid-2-gal

Filter, I use one from NAPA (manuf by WIX).

Filters_Hydro.jpg

• KennyP and JohnDeere214 have said thanks

#8 JohnDeere214 OFFLINE  

JohnDeere214

• 57 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 09:14 AM

This project is probably gonna be put on hold for while due to financial reasons(need tires for my car LOL).  BUT, when i do get back to it, is there a drain plug for the hydro or does fluid drain when i change the filter??  Cant find any mention of a drain plug in the owners manual and service manual i downloaded(thanks to whoever posted those!!!!!!!!!!!!).

Thanks again guys!!!

#9 Tankman OFFLINE  

Tankman
  • 294 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 12:15 PM

Drain plug is on the bottom of the trans. A couple of inches towards the rear of the tractor.

The plug is a 3/8" square drive. Use a short 3/8" extension on your ratchet wrench.

Clean plug and use Teflon plumbers tape on the thread plug when re-installing.

With a rag clean the surface and threads where the new filter goes before installing the new hydraulic filter. A piece of cake, easy enough.

Be sure to put some hydraulic oil on the new filter rubber seal before installing.

Thread the new filter on till the gasket hits then by hand tighten another 1/2 to 1 more turn.

PS. Lived in NC for four years. Camp Lejeune. 1-2-3-4 I love the Marine Corp.   :wave: 

Edited by Tankman, March 25, 2015 - 12:20 PM.

• JohnDeere214 and BNK have said thanks

#10 JohnDeere214 OFFLINE  

JohnDeere214

• 57 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for the info Tankman!!!

#11 JohnDeere214 OFFLINE  

JohnDeere214

• 57 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 12:50 PM

One more dumb question,  drained fluid and changed filter and re-filled fluid thru the dip stick/fill tube to full mark or slightly over.  jacked it up to let it run and get rid of the air and wheels turned for a few minutes and then started slowing down and eventurally stopping.  tried lowering and raising deck arms but they are not moving either......  still showing full on dipstick, so what did I do wrong or do I just have an air pocket somewhere??

thanks!!!

#12 JohnDeere214 OFFLINE  

JohnDeere214

• 57 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 03:59 PM

Never mind, think I figured it out.  Auto parts place was out of wix 51410 sold me another wix filter 51311, saying it was the same filter just a little smaller.  Now Im thinking its  not going to work for this.  So next time I wont be in such a rush and will go where I need to go  to get the right part.   DOH!!!!

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 07:46 AM

Here's the difference in those filters:

Wix  51311.JPG

Wix  51410.JPG

• JohnDeere214 and BNK have said thanks

#14 JohnDeere214 OFFLINE  

JohnDeere214

• 57 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 09:49 AM

Im wondering if the anti drain back valve on the 51311 might be what is causing my issues since the 51410 doesnt have that feature, thanks for the info Kenny!!!

#15 Tankman OFFLINE  

Tankman
  • 294 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted April 06, 2015 - 07:03 PM

You can reuse the hydraulic oil you'll be drainin' into a clean container.

The proper hydraulic oil filter will more than likely fix your problems. Let us know how you make out.

Good luck.  Oh, and shoot the parts dude!   :smilewink:

Edited by Tankman, April 06, 2015 - 07:04 PM.