9 replies to this topic

#1 Canawler OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,880 Thanks
  • 1,744 posts

Posted March 20, 2015 - 05:36 PM

This year, they have a live HD webcam on one of the local eagle's nests.  It plays a daily time lapse below the main video for watching at night when it's dark.

I've been getting a kick out of checking in on the nest every now and then.  There's two eggs this year and the first is expected to hatch tomorrow and the second was laid 3 days after the first.  It's neat watching them turn over the nest everyday and it was really cool seeing the eagle on the nest completely covered with 10" or so of snow a couple weeks back.

The video quality is pretty good even when you go full screen.

Edited by Canawler, March 20, 2015 - 05:40 PM.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 8 others have said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,282 Thanks
  • 3,708 posts

Posted March 20, 2015 - 05:41 PM

That is neat. I had worked in that area last year a few times.

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,665 Thanks
  • 4,214 posts

Posted March 20, 2015 - 07:03 PM

WE have been watching the Decora Eagle web-cam for about 3 years now.

Very interesting & educational!

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,645 Thanks
  • 28,302 posts

Posted March 20, 2015 - 07:07 PM

There are several families near us, one keeps coming up near the farm to hunt.
I shot this vid with the ipad, so no zoom... But there was a full grown and an offspring. I have seen the younger one closer up and believe it to be a yearling a bald Eagle that is still hanging around. It doesn't have the white head yet.

• Texas Deere and Horse and IamSherwood have said thanks

#5 Canawler OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,880 Thanks
  • 1,744 posts

Posted March 20, 2015 - 10:21 PM

The Bald Eagle's recovery in this part of the country has been nothing short of amazing. As I was growing up there were no nest sites anywhere near here and you would NEVER see one or even hear of anyone who had ever seen one. The first nesting pair in this area showed up maybe 20 years ago and there are currently at least 6 nest sites in this county alone. I seem to be luckier than most people around here but I probably average seeing an eagle twice a week? I had one fly over VERY low while I was gassing up my work van a few days ago. He was barely above the gas station lights. They congregate at Conowingo Dam which isn't too far south of here. We've gone down there to see them before and counted at least 30 at one time. It's truly a sight to see.
  • MH81 and Sawdust have said thanks

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,118 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted March 21, 2015 - 09:02 AM

Have sat for hours at Conowingo Dam just watching these birds.

#7 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

• Member No: 47950
  • 332 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 12:39 PM

Very nice web site if I had the spare time I could probably spend hours just watching this. In West Central Illinois were I grew up there is 2 nests that I know of. When the power plant was open I have from ones that worked there that they had counted 100 Eagles in the winter when everything else was froze up. The cooling water from the plant would keep open water on the Illinois River there. Now that the federal government is forcing these power plants to close there is going to be less of this open water for the Eagles to feed in the winter. Another sign of our federal government trying to kill Mother Nature.

#8 jabelman OFFLINE  

• Member No: 38843
  • 1,452 Thanks
  • 1,117 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 01:48 PM

Interesting enough yesterday in a matter of about 2 hours we saw 13 different bald eagles flying back north up the river. Over the last few years numbers have really increased around here

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,415 Thanks
  • 4,880 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 08:16 AM

We have a few pairs that are actually nesting around Cincy area.

we heard there was a pair found shot in a field up near Dayton..... people need a swift kick in the rear. My bet was the eagles were killing someone's chickens/fowl so they shot them.

#10 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,041 Thanks
  • 4,972 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 04:34 PM

I turned the camera on and he was staring at me like "I know you are looking at me!....peeping Tom!"