#76 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,737 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 01:35 PM

Was wondering , in the middle picture it looks like the straw is covering the row cover at the edges ?

We took off the row covers so we could put down the straw, in the middle pictures, they are rolled up and just laying there. We are going to put them back on, but it's been raining to much to mess with it.

• Alc said thank you

#77 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,737 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 01:49 PM

If you are spreading all that by hand you have my sympathies!

I've been using my little 20hp Kubota tractor with forks on the back, I can't pickup a whole straw bale but I can unroll half of it and pickup what's left which is a 3ft tall bale. I also made some forks for the loader bucket (like the old time manure forks) and I can move all the loose straw that was unrolled off of the bale. I can get the straw in the general area with the tractor, but it then has to be forked by hand down the rows. If I'm spreading the straw on a path in the garden, then I can just get a scoop with the loader and shake it as I drive slow. It seems to spread pretty nice and saves a lot of time.

• Alc, oldedeeres and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#78 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,737 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 07:26 AM

Been so busy working and working in the garden, I never have time to get pictures and give updates.

We are now getting lots of cucumbers, the cabbage is going to be out in another week or so, going to plant a 100lbs of potatoes this week before it's to late (last week we can plant them) We planted 20lbs of potatoes early in the year and they are now done. We have dug a couple plants and so far they have done really well. I will get the rest of the potatoes dug in a day or two (pending on time). So far this garden year is doing pretty good, not much produce yet, but the plants all look great and we don't hardly have any weeds.

It seems like the last 5 years the garden never did anything, since it was always so dry we couldn't keep up on watering, it's nice to finally get something back for all the hard work that goes into it.

We got a government grant for a (free) 30'X70' high tunnel, we are going to be getting that in a month (or so) and we will be able to grow late and early crops.

I will start another thread on it when it arrives!.

• Alc said thank you

#79 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,460 Thanks
  • 6,630 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 10:32 AM

I'll be looking forward to the high tunnel thread ,

• BTS said thank you

#80 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,737 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 12:16 PM

I'll be looking forward to the high tunnel thread ,

We need to sort out a couple more things before we get it, we are going to half to get a loan from the bank, because the high tunnel needs to be set up before the government will pay for it and I don't have the $7000 to front for it. But the loan will be easy and paid off in full in less then a month.

We are going to apply for more of these high tunnels next year. They said we have over $400K in grant money and that is a LOT of high tunnels. We are going to check into other grants for other things like bees and ect. We have never done anything like this before and it is super easy.

• Alc said thank you

#81 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,737 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted July 05, 2015 - 10:46 PM

Got the potatoes dug last week, I only have a picture of about half of what we dug. We have been digging a couple plants here and there for the last few weeks for fresh eating. We probably got around 120lbs out of 20lbs of seed. We just put in another 100lbs of seed and got it all covered with straw. I also tilled under our first crop of corn, it was planted right before the month of rain so the weeds got ahead and the corn was doing very bad. I tilled it twice (notice 2nd, 3rd and 4th pictures), it tilled really nice, I then got in 16 more rows of corn, the rows range from 30ft to 65ft. Basically all the bare ground you see in the pictures is planted to corn. The onions are just about done, the broccoli is also about ready. The cabbage still has a couple weeks. We are starting to get a lot of cucumbers, we have been doing small batches of pickles just to eat fresh. We will probably start making relish and pickles in a week or two. Our hot peppers are looking wonderful and we have lots of little peppers. This is going to be a pretty decent gardening year!. There is some grass and weeds in the garden, but it shouldn't take us long to get it all out. We have used more straw then ever this year, we have used probably around 6 big (1000 to 1200lb) round bales.

Non of this garden could be possible if it wasn't for the Kubota!

We have a 100% chance of rain on Monday after noon. Which is going to be great timing since I got all the corn and potatoes in.

I will try to get some updated pictures when everything grows a little more!
Hope everyone enjoys the pictures
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden 004.jpg
  • Garden 010.jpg
  • Garden 011.jpg
  • Garden 012.jpg
  • Garden 034.jpg
  • Garden 035.jpg
  • Garden 036.jpg
  • Garden 037.jpg
  • Garden 038.jpg
  • Garden 039.jpg
  • Garden 040.jpg
  • Garden 044.jpg
  • Garden 045.jpg
  • Garden 046.jpg
  • Garden 047.jpg
  • Garden 048.jpg
  • Garden 049.jpg
  • Garden 050.jpg
  • Garden 052.jpg
  • Garden 053.jpg
  • Garden 055.jpg
  • Garden 057.jpg
  • Garden 059.jpg
  • Garden 023.jpg

Edited by BTS, July 05, 2015 - 11:04 PM.

• grnspot110 and Alc have said thanks

#82 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 04:05 AM

Looking really nice! I have to keep a close eye on my broccoli as well, it is just about ready to harvest. The cabbage has at least a month left before it will be ready, squash is doing really good, will be eating summer and zucchini this week, cukes are slow this year, but are starting to run and blossom, tomatoes... Holy tomato's... I'll have plenty of them ! At my little garden in my back yard I have 30 plants, and at the big garden.. 186 plants, 260 cabbage, 48 broccoli, and about 30 cauliflower. You are correct about this season, it looks to be a beauty.
  • BTS and oldedeeres have said thanks

#83 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,460 Thanks
  • 6,630 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 05:21 AM

Very nice !  Is there a " rule of thumb " as far as how many pounds of potatoes you get for pound of seed potatoes ? I know you can cut some  seed potatoes into more pieces then others but just a guess ?

• BTS said thank you

#84 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,737 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 06:56 AM

Very nice !  Is there a " rule of thumb " as far as how many pounds of potatoes you get for pound of seed potatoes ? I know you can cut some  seed potatoes into more pieces then others but just a guess ?

I don't really know if there is a "rule of thumb" if there is I don't know it lol. We cut the first batch of potatoes, we always do, it really helps your seed go further. However, we didn't cut the 100lbs that we just planted because the seed was getting really old and there wasn't much to it.

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#85 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,460 Thanks
  • 6,630 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 07:39 AM

I only planted a few pounds but I still have some potatoes left from last years crop that have shriveled up and sprouting , I think I'll put them in and see what happens , That or the compost pile

• BTS said thank you

#86 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,737 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 11:31 AM

I only planted a few pounds but I still have some potatoes left from last years crop that have shriveled up and sprouting , I think I'll put them in and see what happens , That or the compost pile

We have done the same thing, they grow just fine.

Good luck!

#87 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,737 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 11:57 AM

Looking really nice! I have to keep a close eye on my broccoli as well, it is just about ready to harvest. The cabbage has at least a month left before it will be ready, squash is doing really good, will be eating summer and zucchini this week, cukes are slow this year, but are starting to run and blossom, tomatoes... Holy tomato's... I'll have plenty of them ! At my little garden in my back yard I have 30 plants, and at the big garden.. 186 plants, 260 cabbage, 48 broccoli, and about 30 cauliflower. You are correct about this season, it looks to be a beauty.

We planted 240 cabbage, 150 broccoli, 50 tomatoes,  200 peppers (bell and jalapeno), 2lbs of corn, around 15 water melon and a couple eating pumpkin.

We don't bother with cauliflower, it never does anything here. We don't even have green tomatoes yet, but hopefully we will soon.

#88 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,737 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 10:43 PM

Garden took a big beating the other day, we had 60mph wind with super heavy rain, we got 2.4 inches in less then a half hour, the rain then slowed down to a nice down poor and ended up getting over 4 inches of rain. The corn went down but it should be fine, one of our biggest tomato plants got broke off, also laid over all the peppers but they should be fine.  I hope the corn I just planted didn't wash out, the rows look a little washed but we will see when it comes up.

We picked around 6 heads of broccoli today, we will be picking lots more in a couple days.

• Alc, oldedeeres and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#89 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,737 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 07:12 PM

Got some cabbage picked today, it's a little on the smaller side, but it's starting to split (from 5 1/2" of rain) so it needed to come out. There is still more green out there and a lot of purple yet to pick. Picked quite a few cucumbers the other day, today we picked some onions and made relish. Going to starting chopping up cabbage tomorrow to make hot pepper cabbage relish.

The corn will be done by the end of the week, the corn I just planted is already up and looks good. The potatoes aren't up yet, but I bet they will be in a couple days.

Attached Thumbnails

• G1000 pistons 013.jpg
  • G1000 pistons 014.jpg
  • G1000 pistons 015.jpg
  • G1000 pistons 017.jpg
  • G1000 pistons 019.jpg
  • G1000 pistons 018.jpg
  • G1000 pistons 021.jpg

Edited by BTS, July 12, 2015 - 07:28 PM.

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#90 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 03:59 AM

Give the cabbage a 1/4 to 1/2 turn in the ground to stop splitting, it can buy you more time if your getting a lot of rain. It breaks off roots so it can't drink as much water;-)
  • Alc, BTS and oldedeeres have said thanks