#46 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted March 31, 2015 - 04:56 PM

Cut 5# of "Superior" &  5# of "Mega Chip" potatoes this morning:  HPIM1587.JPG  Tilled beds for them this afternoon, my plant tomorrow before the next rain.

Went into the greenhouse this afternoon to water & it was over 100*f in there, even with the exhuast fan running.  So I put the shade cloth on this afternoon:  HPIM1586.JPG

• BTS and oldedeeres have said thanks

#47 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted March 31, 2015 - 09:49 PM

Cut 5# of "Superior" &  5# of "Mega Chip" potatoes this morning:  attachicon.gifHPIM1587.JPG  Tilled beds for them this afternoon, my plant tomorrow before the next rain.

Went into the greenhouse this afternoon to water & it was over 100*f in there, even with the exhuast fan running.  So I put the shade cloth on this afternoon:  attachicon.gifHPIM1586.JPG

Looks good!

We also half to put a shade tarp up, we don't have exhaust fans in the bigger greenhouse but we do have a window at each end that we open.

#48 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted March 31, 2015 - 10:04 PM

Well, today I got 3 old bean trees cut down and I also cut down 3 pear trees. We are going to extend the garden out another 20'X50' and then also start planing fruit trees.

I measured the lower garden and it measured out to be 103'X83' and we are looking into expanding down there too.

I'm not sure what kind of gardening year this is going to be, we are already watering the onions, corn and potatoes.

We've gotten a 1/4 inch of rain in the last few weeks, the 10 day forecast shows rain on Thursday and Friday but they are already lowering the chances.

Attached Thumbnails

• Tree Removal 004.jpg
  • Tree Removal 005.jpg
  • Tree Removal 008.jpg
  • Tree Removal 009.jpg
  • Tree Removal 006.jpg

• grnspot110, Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#49 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted April 01, 2015 - 05:30 AM

Do you have enough water at your place to keep a garden watered ? We have limited well water so I collect it for the garden from the down spouts  but even then it's only enough to keep the plants alive , not really enough to make them grow well .

• BTS said thank you

#50 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted April 01, 2015 - 06:56 AM

We use quite a few pots here, so I bought two of the 275 gallon "totes" for water.  One collecting rain water from the house:  HPIM2693.JPG   HPIM2707.JPG

And a 55 gallon rain barrel at the other end:  HPIM2694.JPG

The other "tote" & a couple barrels behind the tool shed are piped into the greenhouse:  HPIM2506 (Custom).JPG

• Alc, twostep, BTS and 2 others have said thanks

#51 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted April 01, 2015 - 07:14 AM

We never had trouble with our well before, but it is worrisome, all the farmers anymore have these big cattle operations around us and they all use tons of water. We are going to set up water collection off of the house, barn, sheds and greenhouses. We are also thinking about setting up some "lean twos" to park machinery under  and also set up water collection off of them too. We are also going to set up a gray water collection system, we already use environmentally friendly soaps and ect so the water will be safe to use.

• Alc, oldedeeres and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#52 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted April 01, 2015 - 04:16 PM

Planted 10# of potatoes today & a few green beans.  Ground is pretty cool for the beans yet, but i always plant a few early, sometimes they make it, sometimes they don't!

Magnolia is blooming:   HPIM1593.JPG

First Purple Martin showed up this afternoon, so up go the houses:  HPIM1598.JPG

Didn't know the wife took this pic, at least she got my best side!!!   :D   :D   :D

• twostep, BTS, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#53 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted April 07, 2015 - 12:21 PM

Got a picture of the plants in the greenhouse, going to do some tilling this week and get in some beans ect.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3-pt Scoop 048.jpg
  • 3-pt Scoop 050.jpg
  • 3-pt Scoop 052.jpg

• grnspot110, oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#54 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 07:49 AM

Got the greenhouse completely filled up, going to build a shade building next to the greenhouse because we have another thousand plants to transplant and move out.

Attached Thumbnails

• Pumps 002.jpg
  • Pumps 003.jpg
  • Pumps 004.jpg
  • Pumps 005.jpg
  • Pumps 006.jpg

• grnspot110, Alc, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#55 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 08:05 AM

It's always nice to see our apple tree blossomed out and covered in bees.

I started plowing the upper garden, I've been running a lot of machinery on it so it's packed pretty hard. I got less then half way done and the Kubota got a flat on the front :(.

We finally got just about a inch of rain earlier in the week and last night we got another 1/2 inch. I'm glad we got the rain, I just put in another 10 rows (30ft long) of corn, we also got some green beans in and we put in more onions (100 or so).

We have chances of rain later this week, so hopefully we get it!

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden 001.jpg
  • Garden 008.jpg
  • Garden 009.jpg
  • Garden 012.jpg
  • Garden 010.jpg

Edited by BTS, April 12, 2015 - 08:09 AM.

• grnspot110, Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#56 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 09:02 PM

It's been very wet here this spring. In between rains, I was finally able to get my garden turned and disced. Today I tilled it to for planting next week and it's dry as a bone already. I knew it hadn't rained in awhile, it's got warm fast and we've had lots of wind, but I had to get four to five inches deep to find damp soil.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• BTS and oldedeeres have said thanks

#57 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 10:53 PM

FINALLY we are getting a real rain!!!!! It wasn't even really predicted, but now they are saying we are going to get around 2 1/2 inches YAAAAAA

Although I'm never going to get the tire fixed on the Kubota and get it out of the garden if this rain keeps up :(

• oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#58 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 10:53 PM

It's been very wet here this spring. In between rains, I was finally able to get my garden turned and disced. Today I tilled it to for planting next week and it's dry as a bone already. I knew it hadn't rained in awhile, it's got warm fast and we've had lots of wind, but I had to get four to five inches deep to find damp soil.

Nice looking garden spot!

• JBRamsey said thank you

#59 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 11:10 PM

Thanks BTS. I've been working this piece of ground for over ten years now. It started off as red clay that produced more rocks than tomatoes. Loads of shredded fall leaves, compost from the bin in the background and a cover of winter wheat or rye every year and it's looking more like soil then dirt. Coaxing my three boys into rock throwing contests eveytime it rained helped with the rocks. Now that they are older, they don't fall for that trick anymore.
  • BTS, oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#60 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 12:23 PM

Finally!!!!!, we are getting rain, just got 2 1/2 inches the other day and it's going to rain again on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The ponds around here are already filling up!. The potatoes are coming up and the corn is coming up too.

• propane1 said thank you