#31 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 11:50 AM

Just finished mixing some fresh potting mix; garden soil (aka dirt), peat moss, vermiculite & perlite:  HPIM1568.JPG   HPIM1570.JPG  

Filled two tubs that fit under the potting bench in the greenhouse:  HPIM1569.JPG

This mix will be used when transplanting to bigger pots & in the many pots we use outside.

• Alc, twostep, BTS and 2 others have said thanks

#32 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,732 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 12:25 PM

Just finished mixing some fresh potting mix; garden soil (aka dirt), peat moss, vermiculite & perlite:  attachicon.gifHPIM1568.JPG   attachicon.gifHPIM1570.JPG

Filled two tubs that fit under the potting bench in the greenhouse:  attachicon.gifHPIM1569.JPG

This mix will be used when transplanting to bigger pots & in the many pots we use outside.

That looks like nice soil, we use peat moss vermiculite and potting soil for out plants that we start.

• Alc said thank you

#33 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,732 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 12:34 PM

A couple of comments from the peanut gallery.

Easy on the lizards. They eat a lot of bugs. I used to have a bunch around then some feral cats showed up and now the lizards are gone and not nearly as many songbirds around.

A PTO driven tiller is awesome. My neighbor has a six footer on the back of a 35 horse Kubota. It tears the ground up until it's like baby powder. It's so deep it's hard to walk in. Doing that and planting winter wheat or rye every fall has really changed my garden spot. My red clay is mostly brown now.

I'm doing raised beds for my onions, beets, radishes, etc. this year. I opted for treated 2x8s and backfilled them. I figure I can till them with my walk behind when the time comes.

I've never raised blackberries. We just go find them along old fence rows and road banks. I have blue berries but haven't had much luck with them. It bugs me, too, because I got the plants from my uncle's place who grew blueberries as big as marbles. Sometimes bigger. Maybe I need to get his 8N back together and drive past them some.

Question: do any of you plant by the signs?

I bet the 35hp Kubota handles a 6' till better then our 20hp Kubota!.

We make all our beds/concrete out of cinder blocks, we can pick them up for next to nothing at auctions. We probably have at least 400 blocks!.

We don't have any wild berries of any kind around here, the county sprays all the ditches around here so there isn't anything that grows wild anywhere.

When you say "signs" do you mean like the phases of the moon?

I never have planted by the phases of the moon or anything. I did no a old man that did everything by the phases of the moon and everything worked great for him.

Edited by BTS, March 26, 2015 - 12:35 PM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#34 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,732 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 26, 2015 - 10:13 PM

Well, got a little bit of straw for the garden! I got it all free (from my employer), he sold this straw 4 years ago and the guy who bought it never picked it up. I have another 8 bales to get but first I half to find a way to get these unloaded since my high loader is still down. I'm going to convert the hay forks on the high loader to 3-pt for my Kubota so I can move them around. I'm thinking I should be able to tie a chain onto them and pull them off the trailer, then move them with the 3-pt.

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden Straw 017.jpg
  • Garden Straw 018.jpg

• grnspot110, Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#35 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,842 Thanks
  • 3,190 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 12:14 AM

Those are going to be tricky to get off the trailer without a grapple or fork loader. Not to tell you your business, but we have had success with shoving a rod through the middle of the bale, hooking a (long) chain on both ends and rolling them off that way. Easing the top ones down without hurting the trailer will be the hard part, but it can be done. Good luck.
  • BTS said thank you

#36 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 07:07 AM

The best mulch is always free, I use aged sawdust from local Amish sawmills, also free for the hauling:  

HPIM1198.JPG

• BTS and oldedeeres have said thanks

#37 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,732 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 07:40 AM

That's a good idea using a rod to put through the bales, I'll give that a try!.

That's a lot of saw dust, we get our saw dust from the local cabinet shop but it comes in the 55gal drums.

#38 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 11:08 AM

That's a lot of saw dust, we get our saw dust from the local cabinet shop but it comes in the 55gal drums.

I use up to a couple 16' loads/year.  I was able to get a load of chips, approximately 1/4" x 2", a couple years ago for $20.  Used them around property line shrubs out back.  HPIM2757.JPG

Edited by grnspot110, March 27, 2015 - 11:10 AM.

• BTS said thank you

#39 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,732 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 09:25 PM

Well, I found out that the Kubota can't lift a straw bale, but I had one bale that broke open when I was unloading them. I was able to lift the half bale and then I was able to pickup the loose straw with forks and get it moved. I'm going to put a 3rd fork in the middle so I can pickup the loose straw easier. I also have a old 54" skid steer bucket that I'm going to make 3-pt, I figure if I set up my top link position correct, the bucket should dump when raised all the way. I can just back in and get a scoop, then lift it a few inches to get to were I need to go and then be able to dump it.

I'm hoping the 3-pt bucket will make it faster for hauling manure in the garden!.

I'm kinda at a stand still when it comes to planting, the potatoes and corn are not up yet. Next I'm going to build the raised bed out of blocks for the raspberries.

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden 013.jpg
  • Garden 016.jpg
  • Garden 012.jpg
  • Garden 010.jpg

#40 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 07:16 AM

Do you have an aux port that you could power a hyd top link ? It would make controling the bucket easier

• BTS said thank you

#41 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 01:36 PM

Light skift of snow on the roof this morning, but things are looking better, so it's time to start in the greenhouse:  HPIM1580.JPG  HPIM1579.JPG

I decided to use small paper cups for the tomatoes this year, everything else get 72/pk flats.  Tomatoes & marigolds this morning, started in commercial potting mix.  Then seeds are covered with a light layer of "milled" sphagnum moss, sifted over the top.  Then, the flat is soaked in warm water for a couple hours & misted with more warm water.  HPIM1577.JPG  After soaking, they are moved to a heat mat:  HPIM1578.JPG

Outside, the radishes I planted in an old mineral tub are sprouting:  HPIM1583.JPG

More daffodils are blooming:  HPIM1582.JPG

And the windmill is pumping into the dog tank:  HPIM1581.JPG

• Alc, KennyP, BTS and 1 other said thanks

#42 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,732 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 10:22 PM

here are a couple few pictures of some plants and the greenhouse. Those plants aren't the half of them, we have thousands and thousands of plants!. Still in the middle of transplanting and building greenhouses.

Attached Thumbnails

• Tree limbs 013.jpg
  • Tree limbs 014.jpg
  • Tree limbs 015.jpg
  • Tree limbs 016.jpg
  • Tree limbs 011.jpg
  • Tree limbs 012.jpg

• grnspot110, twostep, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#43 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,732 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 10:27 PM

Do you have an aux port that you could power a hyd top link ? It would make controling the bucket easier

No I don't have a aux port, but I've been wanting to put one on. I already have hyd plug ins for the backhoe, maybe I can mount up a valve (already have several) and just plug it into the backhoe ports.
That will probably be easier in the long run. It also won't effect the backhoe since the 3-pt comes off to mount the backhoe.

Thanks for the idea!

Edited by BTS, March 28, 2015 - 10:31 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#44 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 04:52 AM

I like your greenhouse that's below grade ! I've seen those on the net but maybe you could give some real life experiences from it . Did you overwinter anything in it ?
  • BTS and oldedeeres have said thanks

#45 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,732 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 07:32 AM

It seems to work pretty good, it's at ground level but it has dirt piled around it. We didn't winter anything in it, it didn't even have plastic this winter, hopefully next winter we will be able to keep some plants in there.

• TomLGT195 said thank you