#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,727 posts

Posted March 19, 2015 - 10:27 PM

Well, the garden season has started (at least here in KS). I got 40lbs of potatoes in 4 days ago and I got some sweet corn in 2 days ago. I know it's early for corn, but we are in the 70's here and it looks like we aren't going to get any frost according to the 10 day forecast. I had the corn seed already and I have a planter for my tractor so I'm not really out any time or money if it does freeze.

I'm getting ready to build some manure type forks for the front of my Kubota so I can haul loose straw to the potatoes.  I'm getting tired of using a pitch fork and a wheel barrel. Since our garden is aprox 1 acre I'm trying to build more implements to cut down on the labor. It takes to long to fork straw or weed ect. I made hills for the potatoes so I can straddle them with the tractor, I'm thinking I should be able to straddle the rows and drop the straw right on them with the manure forks.

I'm getting ready to borrow a friends 6' 3-pt tiller and then I'm going to get the raised beds built with the bed shapper that I made last year. This weekend I'm going to build raised beds out of cinder blocks for the black berries, I just ordered 6 plants and I have around 16 more plants that I'm going to transplant. I also am going to build a bed for raspberries and get them transplanted this weekend.

My goal is to start a Micro farm, I have 3 acres, 1 acre of that is garden, another acre (just guessing) is house, shed, barn, driveways, greenhouses and ect. So I have aprox 1 acre that I'm going to plant to fruit trees.

I'm hoping to keep this thread going all summer and with updates and info from our garden.

Feel free to post your garden pictures and tips.

Thanks for reading

(picture is part of the "lower garden" and the potatoes are in the top of the picture)

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolens Starter 014.jpg

Edited by BTS, March 19, 2015 - 10:40 PM.

• ducky, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 10 others have said thanks

#2 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,861 posts

Posted March 19, 2015 - 10:38 PM

Great Topic BTS.  I do about 2 acres of corn and other vegges.

I will be watching and adding as Wisconsin Weather allows.

• BTS and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,727 posts

Posted March 19, 2015 - 10:56 PM

Thanks,

I'm so glad this winter is over!, I want to go plant something! :rolling:

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 20, 2015 - 04:03 AM

Sounds like you have a good start to the garden season.

Ya gotta love fresh veggies out of the garden!

• BTS said thank you

#5 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,036 Thanks
  • 773 posts

Posted March 20, 2015 - 04:19 AM

everything is still locked in ice here,BUT as I was snow shoeing the other day,i thought ...or... I did hear a red winged black bird!,i will say one thing,he must be one hardy soul! or his clock might be a little ahead. LOOKING FOR SIGNS OF SPRING.all the booze bottles are melting out of road side snow banks! but the hoo ha willows haven't poped yet.  OH yeah...the garden! still under about two feet of snow

Edited by karl, March 20, 2015 - 04:22 AM.

#6 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted March 20, 2015 - 04:38 AM

My gardens I won't see until middle of May, then wait for them to dry up so I can start gardening. Noel.

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted March 20, 2015 - 05:13 AM

I looking forward to read about your garden !  Did you build your bed shaper from plans or on your own ?   I tried doing beds like that by hand in my 30 x50 garden and that was a lot of work but the plants seem to grow nicely .  Will you be laying plastic on the beds ?

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,538 Thanks
  • 3,924 posts

Posted March 20, 2015 - 05:23 AM

Sounds like you got a good start to your gardening this year. The last few years I made several raised beds in the garden for the root crops. It sure made a difference in getting them before they rotted. My garden is at the botttom of a hill and we get water standing in the rows from time to time. 

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 20, 2015 - 05:46 AM

Nice looking garden. Mine is under 5 feet of snow right now. The fence is completely buried after our last storm. We don't usually plant here until the end of May. We often get frost up into the first week of June. It's nice to see this topic and I look forward to watching your progress during the summer. 

#10 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,727 posts

Posted March 20, 2015 - 07:56 AM

Thanks all,

I built my bed shapper out of misc metal laying around, I looked at some pictures of some factory ones and then went at it!.

I got better disk this year so I am looking forward to trying it out. I'll get some pictures and a video when I start making beds!

• Alc, shorty and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted March 20, 2015 - 11:24 AM

I went after some low nitrogen fertilizer at the local farm store this morning, none on hand!  But he'll mix some for me this evening & I can pick it up in the morning.  I'll till some in & set out my onion sets & plant some peas tomorrow,  Only 10 lbs. of seed tators for us, I'll cut them in a few days & plant them in a week or so.

• Alc, BTS and oldedeeres have said thanks

#12 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,877 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted March 20, 2015 - 06:40 PM

I wish I had an acre to farm we had several when I was a kid and grew corn tomatoes cantaloupe radish cucumber potatoes and other's we also had many fruit trees. you had to rise early when the cherries ripened to get your share the birds were relentless on them. Show us your pics thanks for sharing your story it brought back fond memories.

#13 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,727 posts

Posted March 20, 2015 - 10:25 PM

I'll get some pictures of the garden up tomorrow, I got a lettuce bed built today and I'm going to get the blackberry bed built tomorrow. On Monday I'm getting the neighbors tiller and I'm hoping to have it for a couple days. After it's all tilled the onions are going in!

Here are a couple pictures of the bucket teeth and the manure forks that I just built.

Attached Thumbnails

• Kubota Tooth Bar 005.jpg
  • Kubota Tooth Bar 007.jpg
  • Manure Forks 002.jpg
  • Manure Forks 003.jpg

Edited by BTS, March 20, 2015 - 10:27 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse and oldedeeres have said thanks

#14 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,727 posts

Posted March 21, 2015 - 09:48 PM

Here is a picture of the lettuce bed and the blackberry bed. The blackberry bed is the 2nd photo, the bricks are going on both sides of the fence so the berries have something to climb on. We are getting enough berries to circle the whole upper garden!.

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden 007.jpg
  • Garden 008.jpg

• oldedeeres, HANKG and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#15 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted March 21, 2015 - 11:53 PM

Lucky you.  I'd love to have a blackberry bed.  I have tried to raise them several times, only to have them die off pretty darn quick.

• BTS said thank you