• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,891 posts

Posted March 19, 2015 - 08:18 PM

My nephew got two homing pigeons after 6 months we turn them loose yesterday for the first time took 24 hours before they finally went back to the loft. anybody else raise homing pigeons ?

• Lmiller3358, tinbender7, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#2 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted March 19, 2015 - 08:20 PM

How far away did you transport them?

• tinbender7 and bbuckler have said thanks

#3 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,891 posts

Posted March 19, 2015 - 08:21 PM

How far away did you transport them?

Just turned them loose in the pasture.

• tinbender7 said thank you

#4 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted March 19, 2015 - 08:37 PM

My neighbor had some. Each time they went out one less returned. The Hawks were picking them off

Edited by jabelman, March 19, 2015 - 08:37 PM.

• tinbender7 and bbuckler have said thanks

#5 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,891 posts

Posted March 19, 2015 - 08:47 PM

My neighbor had some. Each time they went out one less returned. The Hawks were picking them off

I worried about this cause they bad in my area right now I think I will wait month or so and they should be flying north for the summer.

• tinbender7 said thank you

#6 Lmiller3358 ONLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted March 20, 2015 - 04:48 AM

Used to help my Grandfather when I was a kid,,, he raised a ton of pigeons for racing,,,, I think the time back to the coop will get lesser seeing it was their first time out,,,they came back,, so thats a good start,,,, plus only having two, the more you have the more they tend to follow each other,,,

• tinbender7, Sawdust and bbuckler have said thanks

#7 gunstuff1000 OFFLINE  

gunstuff1000
  • Member No: 40822
  • 926 Thanks
  • 556 posts

Posted March 20, 2015 - 06:05 AM

I work with a guy that's into this big time He raises a lot s birds and races. They have money races he has won upwards of $15,000-$20,000 a year off one bird. He belongs to a local club and wins about every race He has let me take some of his birds home with me and then I turn them loose it's about 20 miles distance they fly that in about 15-18 mins He has some races that are 500 miles Hawks are a serious problem that's all he talks about and they are protected bird so you can't deal with them yourself
  • Lmiller3358, tinbender7, oldedeeres and 3 others have said thanks

#8 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted March 21, 2015 - 08:03 AM

We've had several kinds of pigeons over the years, tumblers, fantails, common rock doves etc. but never homers. I always thought they would be fun. Any of them will "home" if you only take them a couple of miles away and are lucky about the hawks, but the idea of a bird covering the distances those racing Homers do is exciting to me. I think of the history involved in the wars when birds carried messages back and forth, and the influence they had on peoples lives.

All I have now is one lone ring necked dove--- he's 18 years old if he's a day, and I am his fourth owner. He has a protected and very spoiled life as a cage bird in the house with me.  If "Windy" outlives me, my oldest son gets him, ( it's a lot of fun to have lived long enough to be a pain in the a$$ to your kids)  :smilewink:  :smilewink:

• MH81 and Cvans have said thanks

#9 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted March 21, 2015 - 10:06 AM

If "Windy" outlives me, my oldest son gets him, ( it's a lot of fun to have lived long enough to be a pain in the a$$ to your kids)  :smilewink:  :smilewink:

Why did you name him Windy. . .   bad stomach?

• oldedeeres said thank you

#10 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 21, 2015 - 10:08 AM

I've never done this but it has always fascinated me. I enjoyed the stories & thanks everyone for sharing your hobby.

Edited by Sawdust, March 21, 2015 - 10:09 AM.

#11 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted March 21, 2015 - 08:53 PM

When I was young Walt Disney did a program on racing pigeons. From the time that program started till it was over I was glued to it. I can remember the birds being harassed by hawks and I think some landed in oil  thinking it was water and died. It was something I never forgot.  

• MH81 said thank you

#12 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 12:05 AM

Why did you name him Windy. . .   bad stomach?

Nope, it's because he can coo 17 times before he takes a breath!! My Olde Deere wasn't particularly impressed by Windys incessant cooing, lol.

• KennyP, LilysDad and Sawdust have said thanks

#13 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted March 27, 2015 - 07:38 PM

A friend of mine in school was into them with his dad. They went to these competitions. Not sure the whole idea but it was you released your pigeon at a set location and the person whose pigeon came back first won. Not sure if they still have them. The guy still lives with his parents and the pigeon coop is still there

#14 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,441 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 05:17 PM

A friend of mine in school was into them with his dad. They went to these competitions. Not sure the whole idea but it was you released your pigeon at a set location and the person whose pigeon came back first won. Not sure if they still have them. The guy still lives with his parents and the pigeon coop is still there

Okay,,"the guy still lives with his parents and the pigeon coup"  Could happen to anybody.  I'm a linehaul driver and my switch has homing pigeons,, a hobby he has pursued for over 20 years..I think he got into it when he got married and sold off his motorcycles.  I was not aware it was still so popular although I knew "old guys" back in the '60's who raised homing pigeons in southern ontario.. seemed to be a connection between war vets and pigeons,.

I also recall some nasty smelling herb back in the  '70's that had been cured in a pigeon coup.  I DID NOT INHALE.

Edited by Jazz, April 10, 2015 - 05:17 PM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#15 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 05:20 PM

Okay,,"the guy still lives with his parents and the pigeon coup" Could happen to anybody.

I didn't mean that as a jab to him. Just meant I know they still have the pigeon coupe because I see him there.