• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jonsteffen OFFLINE  

jonsteffen

• Member No: 761
  • 4 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 09:46 AM

do u really need a crank trigger if u are not running the high rpms and can i still use the stock well may be chevy points insteed but my main question is if u don't run the high rpm is a crank trigger really needed

#2 hotya100 OFFLINE  

hotya100

• Member No: 1906
  • 8 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 11:48 AM

Have you ever had an ignition related misfire at the RPMs you run? If you haven't, I wouldn't think you would need the crank trigger. That's my opinion anyway. Other's may have different opinions.

#3 jonsteffen OFFLINE  

jonsteffen

• Member No: 761
  • 4 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 08:26 AM

i have not got that far yet just building the motor now

#4 Rick Brumback OFFLINE  

Rick Brumback

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4355
  • 19 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted June 25, 2011 - 08:04 PM

I pull a 12hp kohler with gm points,never had a bit of trouble with them,just got to make sure you get them set right,feeler gauge or timing light.Unless you are really crankin out way high rpms,a crank trigger isnt a issue.

#5 PullingTractor OFFLINE  

PullingTractor
  • Member No: 9441
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 09:17 AM

Crank trigger ignition does provide a more stable & hotter spark, but only at high rpms. Our dyno tests show that it helps very little with a low rpm engine. But if you want the ignition points to possibly last the life of the engine, use a stock 3.0 ohm coil with a 1.8 ohm ballast resistor. Because the increased resistance allows a very low current (flow of voltage) to pass through the points contacts, resulting in much less electrical arcing of the contacts. This will drastically reduce the premature burning away of the platinum on the points contacts. The ignition system will still provide a hot spark because an average small engine requires only a fraction of voltage from the coil. 

• KennyP said thank you