21 replies to this topic

#16 Trent Thomson OFFLINE  

Trent Thomson

• Member No: 2375
  • 188 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 03:46 PM

Can't you just push that snow off the Island into the water? :smilewink:

I've been to PEI several times, and have logged more miles on the Island, than some of the natives!  ....Your province is Canada's best-kept secret!

Where are you located, Trent? 

I'm right dead center of it Bruce in a community called Shamrock, just outside of Kinkora. It is a beautiful spot for sure.

• Bruce Dorsi and propane1 have said thanks

#17 Trent Thomson OFFLINE  

Trent Thomson

• 188 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 03:51 PM

When you live on a island do you just push the snow out in the water (on the ice)?

No we are not allowed to do that. Anything that is trucked off the streets and parking lots has to be dumped on land. Its to bad since our most populated cities are on the water. We used to be able to dump it off the warfe years ago but with all the environmental regulations its not allowed any more. Alot of garbage in it after all. Anything from MacDonalds cups to shopping carts. Anything goes when we are clearing it.

• Gtractor, Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#18 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,804 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 05:14 PM

HOLY SNOW !!!!  I will never complain about our 12" snowfall here in the northeast.

Pete

#19 Trent Thomson OFFLINE  

Trent Thomson

• 188 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 04:06 PM

So its not over yet. Today another storm is upon us. White outs all over the island and many accidents as a result. Plows have been pulled off roads.. many roads are still only one lane from last one with 10 and 15 foot walls. Just no place to push it anymore. All roads pretty much need blowers to get through and there is not enough of them to go around. Dept of Highway was saying that all roads would have 2 lanes by Monday but i know for sure that was not happening. And now this. We are a province that never asks for help but often do go help out other places who get more snow than they can handle. I think its near time we called in some help.

• Alc, Bruce Dorsi, IamSherwood and 1 other said thanks

#20 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 09:09 AM

Wow!  ....If all that snow melts quickly, you guys will be in more trouble!

I keep thinking about the problems that are caused by these huge snows. ....Food deliveries, fuel deliveries, utility repairs, business losses, medical care, livestock, etc, etc. 

I always wanted to visit PEI in the winter. ....I'm glad I didn't choose this one!

• propane1 said thank you

#21 Trent Thomson OFFLINE  

Trent Thomson

• 188 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 06:35 PM

Wow!  ....If all that snow melts quickly, you guys will be in more trouble!

I keep thinking about the problems that are caused by these huge snows. ....Food deliveries, fuel deliveries, utility repairs, business losses, medical care, livestock, etc, etc. 

I always wanted to visit PEI in the winter. ....I'm glad I didn't choose this one!

Yes it is causing a lot of problems, Bruce. Last I heard now for totals is 16 feet 10 1/2 inches this year. Nearly everything we get on the island comes across Confederation Bridge. It has been closed more this year than all other years put together since it was opened in 1997. A month ago kids lost a whole week of school to a big storm, several day since. Last week was there March Break with no school and it stormed anyway. canceled today, tomorrow, and i would not be surprised if Wed and Thur also. So far they have 12 days missed just due to the weather. The other problem is all the missed work days for a lot of people. There are a lot here just like anywhere who live check to check and can't afford to miss days when the roads are not plowed or safe to be on. Its definately a winter to remember and you did pick a good one to not come but you will have to do it sometime. We welcome anybody anytime on this Island.

Edited by Trent Thomson, March 23, 2015 - 06:37 PM.

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#22 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 07:08 PM

Trent

I'm sorry to hear you are getting even more snow.  

As far as P.E.I., I've mentioned it before, but it bears repeating.  I was at a conference in Toronto several years ago.  There was a fellow from P.E.I. there.  He gave the best, most sincere and humorous presentation of the conference.  He was the first person I'd ever met from P.E.I.  He had one of the best, friendliest personalities I have ever encountered.  At the end of the conference, I told him what I had thought of him.  He suggested I visit sometime.  He said there's a whole island of people just like him.  

• Bruce Dorsi, Trent Thomson and propane1 have said thanks