Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
Wanted

Minkota 65 MX trolling motor wanted.....

boats trolling motor fishing

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 10:00 AM

I know this isn't GT related but I thought I would try it.  I'm looking for a used Minkota 65 MX trolling motor to use for parts for my old motor. The switch in my motor gave out and they do not make them anymore. I've tried for two years to get one. Ebay and the others don't have them. I've tried finding the whole motor on CL and EB but no luck. I just need the switch to make mine work . Just thought I would throw this out there. Thanks for looking.                                                                                                       Roger

#2 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 01:43 PM

Did you try looking at the Minkota.factoryoutletstore.com ?

• hamman said thank you

#3 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 02:12 PM

I have even called Minkota and a couple of their oldest service centers they suggested. They are no longer available in stock. I was hoping I could find a used one that the switch was good on. Thanks.                                                                                                                                                                    Roger

#4 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 02:37 PM

I had to bite the bullet and buy a new unit last year. Could not find parts for mine either. It got almost impossible to find props. I ended up buying a wally world cheapy called "watersnake". It works great, just not sure if I will be able to find parts in 7-10 years. (repeat process)

• hamman said thank you

#5 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 02:48 PM

Roger, is this a rocker type switch? On-off-on (high-off-low)? Many of the factory type switches are obsolete.  You could always do as I did on my old trolling motor; removed cover and made a custom face cover out of a piece of vinyl siding, new regular on-off-on switch installed (from either auto parts or electrical warehouse type store), play with the wiring. Not factory and no stickers, but it still works.

• hamman said thank you

#6 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 03:09 PM

No Bmerf it's a rotary switch hooked to the handle. 20 speeds forward 20 speeds reverse. I am thinking I am going to try to get a thee (3) position switch and make it a forward or reverse motor. I know some have done this but no one has made a wiring diagram of how they did it. Can't be to hard. They are marked as forward and reverse.  Thanks.                                                                                                                                                                              Roger

#7 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 03:23 PM

That makes it more complicated! Sounds like a potentiometer. I wonder if a rheostat type light switch (wall mounted dimmer switch)would work?  On-off-on switch for forward-off-reverse; a rheostat or potentiometer to vary speed? Power first into a rheostat, then into the forward-off-reverse switch, would allow for variable speed in forward or reverse. Just thinking out loud.  

• hamman said thank you

#8 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 04:00 PM

Probably with the 3 way switch. I position off and one for forward and one for reverse. I believe those switches are made to take more amps than the 12 volt would put out. Now I just need to figure out how to wire it. Will take some thinking. Thanks.                                                                                                 Roger

#9 Freddie1911 OFFLINE  

Freddie1911
  • Member No: 60791
  • 149 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 05:06 PM

You may find a dc motor controller on amazon. Not all that expensive.
  • hamman said thank you

#10 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 718 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 06:47 PM

This guy has been in business 30 plus years. If anyone has it he will.  

Alabama Trolling Motors
1212 Markeeta Rd, Leeds, AL 35094
(205) 640-1640

Edited by cootertom, March 18, 2015 - 06:47 PM.

• hamman said thank you

#11 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 07:49 PM

Thanks cootertom, I will call him tomorrow to see if he has one. Thanks.                                                                                              Roger

#12 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 718 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 07:52 PM

He does any of my trolling motor work. Old man can be a grump but his son is great.

• hamman said thank you

#13 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted March 20, 2015 - 11:20 AM

Well........... looks like I struck out. No one has a switch, and can't find an old motor like it to canabelize. I tried the guy down by you cootertom, he doesn't have anything, but was very helpful and suggested that I try the three position switch and rheostat for 110V lights. Going to read up on the wiring diagram for the motor and try my hand at it. If it works I will post some pics of my journey. If it don't work I'll post picks of me and a beer !                                                     Roger

#14 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted March 20, 2015 - 11:26 AM

I dont know the real number, but those things draw alot of current. After seeing the OEM stuff melt, I am not sure the dimmer switch would handle it. 

• hamman said thank you

#15 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 353 Thanks
  • 357 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 02:26 PM

I've worked on plenty of low voltage (48VDC and under) things between my Elec-Traks and electric vehicles.  I'm sure something could be rigged up to work.  I would think that would draw a decent amount of amps, as tater stated.  Remember...lower voltage=higher amp draw.  A motor controller with a reversing contactor would do the trick, but a new trolling motor would probably be cheaper than a decent controller & reversing contactor.

I just had to make an aftermarket switch work on my 10" mitre saw when the switch crapped out and the replacement was NLA.  If you were closer I would come over and help you out.  Good luck.

Billy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wanted, boats, trolling motor, fishing