21 replies to this topic

#16 blain OFFLINE  

blain
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67565
  • 7 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 04:31 PM

i don;t see anything i can click on just pictures the forks i see where dos the shifter go in there all that my shifter is a long rod with nothing on the end but a plain rod with a grove in it 

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 04:44 PM

Look for the word with blue like this. That is the link to the manual. May have to right click and open in new page! Then you can download the whole manual!

#18 blain OFFLINE  

blain
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67565
  • 7 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 05:44 PM

thanks kenny i found the link that you sent me i got the whole print out of it thanks again

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 05:52 PM

That's about the best I can do for you on this. There has been a few posts about these trannys, but I haven't a clue where they were at.

#20 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 06:39 PM

Hopefully you get it figured out . Noel

#21 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,300 Thanks
  • 1,100 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 06:05 AM

I have been into this same scenario after having to repair one of these for a friend.

The shift forks MUST BE LINED UP PERFECTLY center, and the shift lever MUST BE LINED UP PERFECTLY, oh yes the forks slide back and forth real easy if the shift detent's are worn or if the detent springs are weak or broken ( that's what causes them to pop out of gear). While your in there, not a bad time to change out the roll pin in the shift tower. One snap ring under the cone, and the whole shebang drops out. May as well change it now, or you WILL be back in there again when that 25 cent part goes out. :)

#22 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 01:38 PM

Something else to look at - there is a sheet metal plate (shifter stop) that rides between the shift sockets that the shift lever rides in. I had a Jacobsen where that metal plate broke in the middle. Once it breaks, it can move around and jam up the shifter assembly.

Look up the pinned articles on here at the "Jac Speed reducer removal" thread, post #14, pictures 7 (left side of the picture) and 9 (bottom of picture below my finger) show the shift stop.

Mine was broke and moved around to the side so you couldn't tell it was there. Shifter wouldn't move into most gears and gears were clashing. I had other damage to fix, but the shift stop was less than $10 - but you have to open the transaxle to get to it. 

You can see it by taking off the shift lever/boot and looking in the trans-case.

May not be your problem, but easy to check for..

• KennyP said thank you