• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 08:18 AM

With all the time I`ve spent looking at STUFF on the web I`m seeing a lot of GTs with similar looking bodies spread out over a bunch of different models.

I`m wondering if some of the sheetmetal and chassis parts are interchangeable . I know the different prefixes may have as much to do with the year models as it does with different designs. Some of the rear ends may be common among many models and some of the other systems too.

I know the engine compartment for my 3 cylinder diesel engine in my new to me Ford 14D will be unique among models but would sheet metal for a LGT-14D be common with other LGT 14 ? gas models ?? The rear fender piece looks close to the same with other models in that time frame `87-`94. Also the mower decks ...mine is 48"  I have learned that the white fenders were `87-`89 and blue `89-94.

Things I would like to find pretty much at first glance is the rear fender section and possibly the steps section in front  of the fenders and it seems to be missing the blade pulley covers for mowing deck.

If anybody has any experience  with this interchangeability I`d appreciate your help .

Edited by SNUFFY, March 18, 2015 - 08:21 AM.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 08:26 AM

Are you talking about interchangeability of The same Brand or different brands?

I dont think any Garden tractor has interchangeable sheet metal with a different manufacture.

Now todays cheap Lawn tractors is a whole different story as they are all the same just different names slapped on by MTD

• Alc said thank you

#3 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 08:27 AM

I think the diesel models were by themselves.  The gas models of the same time frame were made by Jacobsen until '83, and Gilson after that.

• SNUFFY said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 08:41 AM

I know that a lot of manufacturers used the same basic engine and transmission models in their tractors with each manufacturer getting the drivetrain components set up for their own unique needs. The Peerless 2300 trans. and the Kohler K series engines are 2 examples of very commonly used parts. If you want to know what will fit between your 14D and other Ford tractors perhaps a look through the New Holland parts manuals might shed some light. The part numbers would tell you where identical parts were used. I'm not sure how you access those manuals. I know JD and Agco have online parts catalog access but I'm not sure about NH. I'm sure someone here will know the answer to that question. 

• SNUFFY said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 09:11 AM

I just checked the fender pan for your LGT14D against both the YT16H and the LGT14H and they all show totally different part #'s. Not a lot of folks with these 'newer' Gilson made units and we do not have a lot of manuals for them.

• SNUFFY said thank you

#6 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • Member No: 57994
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 12:28 PM

Not sure about your specific model but it definitely happened that tractors were the same back in the day. My Jacobsen Chief LT 750 is identical to the Ford 40? (I think), Oliver 75, as well as a Minneapolis Moline and a White that were all bought from the same manufacturer and re-badged. So it did happen but like I say not an expert on your specific Ford.

• SNUFFY said thank you

#7 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 05:06 PM

Thanks guys ...I`m thinking mostly the Ford models ...not sure that that they made the diesel in the other brands.

I also checked and the messicks parts data base show the one picture of the fender and part numbers different for the blue and white color. And white for 87-89 and blue for 89-94. So just different paint color can change the number I`m guessin`.

#8 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted March 21, 2015 - 03:52 PM

A definite ....maybe. SOME of the parts for models sold/rebadged under multiple brands (like some Jacobsen/Ford models) are interchangeable, but some are also different! Unless somebody has cross referenced the numbers, each retailer would have their own part numbers so you might not tell from that...

Also, some models from the same line interchange parts - Fords LGT1x5's (145, 165) share most parts. Same with many john deere and cub models. Basically the same except for engine.

ITs all a case-by-case basis. Hopefully you find an "expert" who has been down that road and knows what fits your model from other parts.....

There are some REAL experts on here for the various models and a wealth of knowledge! I am amazed at some of the questions that people get answered!

If the parts you need are METAL, you can usually fab something from "something close"... Amazing what you can do with a hammer and a welder - and a lot of time.....

BTW, howdy from another Tennessean - we are about 70 miles northwest of you...

• KennyP and SNUFFY have said thanks

#9 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 08:17 AM

Thanks all...Tennblue ...good to see somebody close by and yes I was thinking more in line with the Ford LGT group tractors for those years  87-94 would be most likely to have the rear fender section common among the gas models....maybe !!!

#10 Abomination OFFLINE  

Abomination
  • Member No: 74550
  • 24 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 04:35 PM

I'd asked in another thread if there was an interchange for all these tractors. If not, maybe folks on here could make one...

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 05:20 AM

Fords and Jakes don't need a chart as they are the same machines. Everything interchanges when the years are near the same.  Just need the years of major change, pre-72, 72-76, 77-83.

• Chopperhed said thank you