• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 07:50 AM

After a few days and a learning lesson on shipping....it has arrived.  Make sure your shipper is equipped to handled the weight and bulk. My shipper had a nice 24ft enclosed trailer which was nice for mower...till he needed the room for 2 Harleys and a Saturn SUV... then my tractor was relegated to the bed of a Dodge 1 ton pickup. That was Ok but he only had an engine hoist and a couple narrow tie down ratchet straps to rig with. In the process of getting it back out when it arrived at my house I had to rig up my I/2 ton chain fall ( his hoist was in front of the car and Harleys) and while doubting his positioning of the straps we started up with it ...My side wasn't hurting any thing but his side bent up the rear fender pretty good. I stopped and got some 2x4s to space the straps to stop the damage. Just barely did get it high enough to clear the bed of the truck ,thanks to my 10 ft ceilings. The fender was a little warped up anyway and I should be able to straighten it out if I can`t find a replacement. The guy was in early 50`s guessin` and had bum arm  and I hope he learned a lesson too. Apparently he mostly hauls Motorcycles and cars back and forth from Ohio to Miami. He had to deliver one of the Harleys about 20 miles from my house. Pretty good planning. I `d say that engine hoist was tested pretty good with the 1000 pound mower.

What I got appears to be a well used GT of typical heavy duty build and since the fender is blue it is an `89 or later to `94. I tried the starter and didn`t get anything so assumed batt was down or bad. Hooked up the batt charger and went to computer to check Operator manual for starting procedure. As expected 4 levers had to be in right position to start. Went back out and got everything set and turned the switch....lo and behold after about 10 second of starter it fired right up. Let her warm up while figuring out the controls and backed her out of the garage and rode it around a little. Lift worked for deck and both ranges seem OK. When I tried to engage the PTO for the blades didn`t get anything. The lever didn`t feel right when I set it to start the engine. That may explain the chewed up belt hanging on one of the levers.

Overall pretty pleased with it.....sweet sounding little engine although it did spit some water out of the radiator after about a 1/4 mile drive to mailbox yesterday. I`ll drain it and run some vinegar water thru it for a little while I check it out a little more. The batt warning light in the instrument cluster stays on and hoping its batt but could be alternator too.

Oh yeah...ever see a Harley with a 32" front wheel ?? My first...had a little thin tire on it too. With the rake in the steering head to accommodate the big wheel the only time the fork will do any work will be if he runs into a wall. Beautiful bike but definitely odd looking. It takes all kinds I guess !!!

Try to get some pics up soon .

• KennyP, Cvans and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 11:12 AM

Congrats on the new tractor. There are always issues to work through with these older tractors. The PTO issue may be electrical. There are often bad connections in the switches in the PTO circuit. 

#3 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 05:14 PM

JD after looking at the parts blow up it appears the PTO is mechanical rather than electric. Looks like the cable goes to an idler pulley. I think that will be the chewed up belt hanging on one of the levers.

#4 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 10:34 AM

20150322_162736.jpg 20150322_162757.jpg 20150322_162824.jpg 20150322_162844.jpg pics

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#5 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 10:34 AM

Finally figured it out

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 05:19 AM

Nice pics. I see what you mean on the fender pan. Bent pretty good down by that left foot rest.

#7 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 07:52 AM

Yeah ....I was watching the other side while running the chainfall....he didn`t say a word.....I finally stopped and went and looked.  I guess somebody with some sheetmetal skills can probably save it if I can`t find a replacement.

There is an open hole in the dash...parts blowup shows it as spot for optional fuel guage. Seems a waste...gonna put a water temp gauge in it ! I found out the 2 spring for the front PTO idler pulley and the 2 belts are missing. Called local New Holland and they said they could get them.Gonna try to get the deck working to check things out and then will pull deck out and really get a good look at the underside.

Saw one on EBay for sell today for 2800$

• KennyP said thank you

#8 Killer_A-C OFFLINE  

Killer_A-C
  • Member No: 51839
  • 367 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 05:48 PM

I have a like new op manual if you need one LMK

#9 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 08:21 AM

Thanks Killer I downloaded one before the tractor even arrived. They area big Help. Trying to find a service manual cheap.LOL.....

#10 alexbenton92 OFFLINE  

alexbenton92
  • Member No: 70681
  • 18 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 11:21 AM

If u still have that op manual I would sure appreciate it. If I could dowmload it

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 01:43 PM

If u still have that op manual I would sure appreciate it. If I could dowmload it

:wave: Welcome to the forum! It's in our Manuals Forum here.